Sign in with
Your question

For those doubted Tom's Athlon burning video

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2001 6:22:18 PM

congrats...you've linked a board with people talking about overheating issues with amd chips. most people have known that for some time now.

no vestige of a beginning, no prospect of an end, when we all disintegrate, it'll all happen again.
Related resources
December 2, 2001 6:38:17 PM

LoL, the toms video is invaild for two reasons.

1 it tested the removal of a heatsink, which is extremely rare, and it didnt test a fan failure, which is much more common and would have been a better test.

2. It used for the xp a motherboard which DID NOT USE THE SPECCED THERMAL SHUTDOWN FEATURE AND TEMPRATURE CONTROL SYSTEMS FOR THE XP, the control chip on that motherboard was designed by fujitsu/siemens and was NOT following amd's guidelines. AMD did a videoshowing that a properly configured board could shut down an axp EVEN IF THE HEATSINK IS REMOVED.

There are a rash of troll attacks on this forum, and apparently people are telling others to come here to try and start flame wars, I think this is one of them, and we dont appreciate your crap.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
December 2, 2001 7:14:14 PM

intel's anti-chip-roasting features work on all motherboards...

does AMD's work on ANY motherboards?

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>
December 2, 2001 7:32:43 PM

Umm, does it matter? Seriously, I can't believe this!! Who cares about thermal protection if you have a decent HSF!!! The P4 has many other advantages over the Athlon than just thermal protection. It saddens me that at least P4 fans (or fanatics) would have enough knowledge to support the P4 properly.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 2, 2001 9:23:55 PM

Dummy proofing your product can be one of the best selling features out there.

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>
December 2, 2001 10:46:06 PM

If a chips inability not to fry when the heatsink is removed during usage is considered not adequate dummy proofing.....maybe we need to raise the bar just a tad.

December 2, 2001 10:56:06 PM

hear hear!

bit more chlorine in the gene pool please!

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!
December 2, 2001 11:05:47 PM

I mean, wtf, should we put padding on cpus incase they get thrown at people too? Or perhaps saftey belts on office chairs, you know they can be dangerous. Proofing things against common or very possible mistakes is one thing, making sure nothing bad can ever happen to something no matter how remote is stupid and a waste of resourses.....you know, cpus need to be waterproof...because you can spill mountain dew in them during late nights playing diablo 2.

December 2, 2001 11:11:30 PM

>Dummy proofing your product can be on of the best selling features out there.

this is exactly why AMD is taking on that incredible feat, AMD simply knows who their customers are.

pretty simple research if you ask me.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"
December 2, 2001 11:29:53 PM

Darwin Awards man...

we should have our own for PC's.
people too dumb to be allowed to use a computer!

i was wondering...
out of all the people who buy a computer for home use,
what would the percentage be of people who actually open up their case?
or who knows which bit is what
or who could replace/troubleshoot any component without hurting it or him/her self.

betcha that percentage is damn low.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!
December 3, 2001 1:07:32 AM

I was not digging for AMD's failures. I happen to be member of DSLR seti@home (with over 200WU if I may add). The crowd here almost beat the mentioned video to death. What I wanted to point out was a real world scenario, for the people who said it will never happen. Stop calling names to people who does not have your point of view. Did I make a personal attack on you? Grow up.
December 3, 2001 1:27:49 AM

don't pay attention to matisaro, in many discussions he is helpful but anything that makes amd look like it isn't perfect will turn him into a raging troll.

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>
December 3, 2001 1:39:10 AM

Quote:
this is exactly why AMD is taking on that incredible feat, AMD simply knows who their customers are.

Their customers are mostly computer enthusiasts who have a lot of experience with computers. I don't see your point.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
December 3, 2001 2:03:53 AM

Quote:
What I wanted to point out was a real world scenario, for the people who said it will never happen.

don't take your panties off there sparky, settle down. i've never seen a screw anywhere in or on a computer case/mobo/components that would come "unscrewed" if TIGHTEN
properly, unless ofcourse it's screwed in by hand, jolted, kicked, etc. and man, i don't even watch sports and i know the lions suck! whew, good thing we got the red wings.
December 3, 2001 5:37:12 AM

LoL, just read a few of intel_insides posts to see the kind of respect he commands in this forum.

As for my remarks earlier, the video issue has been beaten to death and everyones tired of it, add to this the posts on several newsgroups telling people to come here and troll, and you get intolerance for what appear to be flamebait posts. I apologize if you were geniunely trying to make peaceful conversation.

December 3, 2001 8:31:57 AM

nothing is fool proof to a sufficiently talented fool

Did you know there never was there ever a cat so clever as magical Mr. Mistoffeles?
December 3, 2001 10:32:19 AM

Yet a step in the right direction for AMD...

<font color=blue>Another waste of bandwidth on the web. :tongue: </font color=blue>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2001 11:25:36 AM

Customers like us deserve the best ! Isn't that right Melty ?! AMD will always be second best.

<font color=red><b>->Melty in my mouth MMmmm...<-</font color=red>
</b>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2001 11:31:30 AM

I like you sig Inside, very...how shall I put it ?..imaginative. Makes we wanna explore, do things that we shouldn't :redface: . Wanna come with me ?

<font color=red><b>->Melty in my mouth MMmmm...<-</font color=red>
</b>
December 3, 2001 11:39:07 AM

Well at least AMD is 'trying' to sort out the problem with motherboard makers, the rest is history.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>
December 3, 2001 12:00:58 PM

Creeper, how should I put this...you're a gay pervert!!! lol. It was funny at first but now it's going on to long, you are scaring me.

December 3, 2001 12:01:50 PM

We should all be more concerned with our automobiles overheating then our computers. If your cars cooling system fails, you will be faced with thousands of dollars of damage. If an AMD chips cooling fails, it costs a couple of hundred (or less) to replace.

Be more concerned about your car. Stop worrying about the unlikely HSF failure.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>
December 3, 2001 3:46:54 PM

Quote:
don't pay attention to matisaro, in many discussions he is helpful but anything that makes amd look like it isn't perfect will turn him into a raging troll.

Somebody hand this man a mirror.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>
December 3, 2001 5:30:49 PM

Hear Hear! I say we blast those damn car manufactures for not putting HP throttling or overheating diodes on those engines. I mean, if I'm driving along on I-35 to work this morning and my cooling hose/radiator is leaking, and my engine overheats and seizes, why am I responsible beacuse I did not check to see what that puddle under my car was or pull over because there was steam shooting out from under my hood or there was a wonderful smell coming from the heater? Or maybe I just wanted to see how well my car would run without radiator fluid in it. Is that my fault I'm too stupid to fix my car, add fluid, or otherwise take care of my car to make sure that I don't do something to cause damage? Damn those guys in Detroit for not idiot-proofing the car! I demand a computer system in the car that will compensate for my stupidity and shut the car off while I'm going 80mph down the freeway, thereby shutting off the power brakes and steering.

Seriously folks, if that situation sounds absolutly asinine to you, think about the people out there who jump all over AMD. Yes, their CPU's run hot (so do P4s), and yes, their CPUs won't shut off in a serious heat emergency (as of right now). But really, if you need to be told that your CPU needs a HSF properly mounted on the CPU, then you really shouldn't even be taking a cover off the case. Yes, there are very rare occurances of a clip snapping off the socket (most likely due to improper HSF mounting, causing the socket clips to weaken, or a <i>really</i> cheap motherboard brand, both of which are user-caused stupidity) but there are worse things that could happen. If you're so worried about that, get a desktop case so that the CPU and HSF is horizontal rather than vertical and get a HSF that bolts to the motherboard rather than using the clips. The rest of us intelligent, computer savvy, and realistic people will continue on here, keeping the world safe from idiots, or trying to at least. AMD has already added a thermal diode, and now the motherboard makers have to make the needed adjeustments. Yes, it's too bad that AMD is still relying on the motherboard makers to initiate this fix, but really, for what you get otherwise out of an AMD chip, for the price it costs, is there really any reason to complain?

Case in point: over the holiday weekend, I helped my father reassemble the computer that my brother had cannibalized to make his. We went out and purchased a Athlon "C" processor, 1GHz, and threw it in. Much to my dissapointment, I didn't heed the warnings of the dealer (who, otherwise, was a complete idiot) and didn't realize that the 1GHz Athlon "C" in this old KT133 motherboard would only run at 750MHz (I'll leave the math to you guys). So, unbeknownst to my brother, I swapped processors (he had a 1GHz Athlon "B", which had come out of the cannibalized computer), since he had a brand spankin' new A7A266, which could handle the Athlon "C". When I put his system back together, I neglected to connect the CPU fan to the power. So, after his computer had run for around 10 minutes, the motherboard freaked out, BSOD on him, and he restarted. The BIOS screamed murder, and went into the setup screen, where it went straight to the hardware monitor, which showed the CPU temp to be 100C+. Needless to say, I figured it out quickly, since since the fan monitor showed 0 RPM. Plugged the fan back in, and let the system sit for a while to cool. It worked, and while the CPU might now have a shortened lifespan now, it's fine. Now, who's fault was that? Mine, straight out. I was dumb enough to turn on a modern processor without a working HSF. Who else can I blame? Plenty of people and companies, like ASUS for not having a fail-safe to not turn on the computer without a working fan on the CPU or AMD for not having a thermal diode that would throttle back and let the CPU stagger to a shut down or the dealer that told me that I needed a newer chipset to use the Athlon "C" @ it's intended 1GHz, for without that little issue, everything else would have never occured. Regardless, it was my fault, and I would be the one paying my brother $120 for a new processor.

So, if you're stupid, don't drive a car and buy your computers pre-built. For the rest of us who know enough, we'll drive the cars and build the systems. Screw the AMD vs. Intel whining that people do, screw the pro-AMD and pro-Intel trolling and wars that happen on here, and screw the people who start them. They really know nothing anyway, and they compensate by sprouting illogical, ill-concieved tripe that they hope makes them look intelligent. Stick to the <i>actual</i> facts, such as performance in your preffered programs, platform stability (not CPU stability, as both AMD and Intel chips are very stable, and it's the chipset than makes or breaks things), and cost.

-SammyBoy
December 3, 2001 6:28:21 PM

Amen brotha!

Just buy what ever you feel is best (AMD, Intel, or other) and stop forcing YOUR preference on everyone else.
December 3, 2001 10:49:37 PM

Hear hear! Hand that man a cigar! Amen, brother.

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...
!