Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mysterious taskbar icons

Last response: in Windows 7
February 11, 2013 12:08:30 AM

Hello all,
Haven't been on TH in a while. Anyway, I recently noticed something strange when restarting my computer. These two icons show up on my taskbar:

Apparently they open IE to some pages on a Korean auction site. Deleting them does nothing, as they reappear on startup. I browsed msconfig and didn't see anything strange, so I don't know what's up. Doesn't seem malicious, but I'm not okay with unauthorized software on my computer.
Can anyone help me out?
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 12:10:55 AM

Hi :) 

What Anti Virus are you running ? (PLEASE don't say one of the free ones)

All the best Brett :) 
Score
February 11, 2013 12:14:46 AM

Sorry! Using Panda Cloud Antivirus Free. Would you suggest an alternative, free or paid?
Score
Related resources

Best solution

February 11, 2013 12:15:11 AM

Free antivirus programs are fine. I would check add/remove programs for anything weird, check startup items using the "msconfig" command, and run some anti-spyware programs. I'd go with Malwarebyte's and then Combofix.
February 11, 2013 12:18:56 AM

Oh my. I did check msconfig, but I was silly enough not to check add/remove programs.
I think I've found the offending software. That was quick, thanks!
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 12:18:59 AM

Hi :) 

I fix viruses EVERY day in my computer shops...

I agree with running , Malwarebytes, but also Norton Internet Security 2013....

Malwarebytes , although a very good anti spyware program is NOT an Anti virus program...

All of my shops machines and all of my personal machines run Norton.... that should tell you something...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
February 11, 2013 12:22:06 AM

Good to hear it was an easy cleanup. To clarify, Malwarebyte's and Combofix are used to scan and clean spyware, not anti-virus programs.

Currently, my company uses AVG for our clients and I've never had a problem with AVG Free. MS Security Essentials has also been very reliable for my home computers.
Score
February 11, 2013 12:26:00 AM

Best answer selected by blackjellognomes.
Score
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 12:26:23 AM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Score
!