About athlon xp 2000

G

when do you all think the athlon xp 2000 will officially released? I figure since 1900 is the best right now, the prices of it will drop when the 2000 gets out. Anyone know when that will be? I have all the parts I need to build a pc right now, i expect to build it after my finals in about 2 weeks, do you think its worth waiting for it to come out so the prices of the 1800 drop?

Also, I am considering just getting a 1700 instead of an 1800 because of the greater price drop. Is there a significant rise in performance for the 1800? I don't do TOO much gaming (although I do), but i do more graphics, programming, etc. Thanks for your help!

Nimit

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
My guess is Xp2000 will be released Feb-Mar time, probably going head to head with Northwood.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

G

how much performance difference do you think there is between an 1800 and 1700. Say I was using photoshop, would I notice the starting time difference? or would it just be a couple milliseconds? The price difference is around $55, think its worth it? getting the 1700 to save 50 bucks...I would really rather get the 1800 just for the name, but it looks like my budget is going to be too tight to get an 1800, i may have to go with a 1700. Thanks!

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
Since you will be using your PC to do "Photoshop". I think it will be worth the wait for northwood and Athlon XP 2000+. I think it's confirmed tha Northwood will have 512kb cache. Which should help a lot for photoshop preformance. I don't know if AXP 2000+ will have the similare preformance. But I would suggest you wait and findout what will preform best and how much time can you save with each system.

KG

G

Go with a Duron 1100, and put all the cash you saved in a better monitor than you planned. Especially for Photoshop, the monitor is likely to be much more important than a few hundred megahertz. Unless you will be performing gaussian blurs on 100+Mb files, you're not likely to notice the difference between any current cpu. I went from a Duron @866 to a 1.4 Tbird. And frankly, I'd need a stopwatch to tell difference when working on 10Mb files, and screen size images.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

TRENDING THREADS