tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
I decided to upgrade my generic 300W PSU to an Enermax Whisper 431W. My computer was working fine before I put the new PSU in, but when I tried to boot up after the new one was in, it wouldn't boot. All the fans spin up, the drive lights come on, the keyboard lights blink, but nothing else happens. Nothing shows up on the monitor and there are no beeps at all. Here's my system and what I've tried to do:

Athlon XP 1900+, Shuttle AK-31 rev. 3.1, Visiontek GeForce3 Ti 500, 512MB Corsair PC2400 RAM, Philips Acoustic Edge

1) Made sure video card was seated correctly
2) Removed video card and reinserted it
3) Checked to make sure that all power connectors were plugged in to the drives
4) Tried a different video card
5) Removed all other cards except the video card and my Promise RAID card
6) Same as #4, but removed the RAID card
7) Tried booting with one DIMM instead of two
8) Reset the BIOS

None of the things listed had any noticeable effect on what happens. This happened once before, when I upgraded the CPU from an Athlon C to the current Athlon XP. However, after a couple of reboots it started working. That hasn't happened this time. I'm out of ideas. It's not giving me any error codes, so I don't know what to make of it. It never gets to the BIOS, since nothing ever comes up on screen. I don't think the CPU or video card is bad, since everything was working right before I put the new PSU in. My guess is that there's something screwy with the motherboard, but I don't know for sure. Any constructive thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
If every thing is well seated and attached as you say, then you have a wing dinny !
Do you have a thermal probe ?
Maybe it's that but do not know how you can check !
Otherwise, every thing points to cpu .

Good luck !

Danny

G

Did you try with the old generic 300W again? If so, did that work ? Maybe the Enermax is a dud.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am an old world technician. The very first thing you do with any piece of malfuncioning electronic equipment is check your power supply for proper voltages. Since your problems began when you upgraded your supply, put the old one back.

Check your power supply connectors to the motherboard. Is it possible you connected them backwards? I have seen that done many times......

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Okay, so I put the old PSU back in and, voila, it booted up just fine. So does that automatically mean that my new Enermax is a dud? I mean, it was supplying power, it just wouldn't POST at all. Is it a voltage problem, or possibly something else? Should I try a new one, or just be happy with what I have?

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
What the heck? I posted a new reply, but the thread didn't move up. So ...

^BUMP^

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
its rare, unfortunate, but can on occasion happen.

take it back and get a replacement.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

BigRat

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know this is probably unrelated but the same thing happened to me when I flashed a7v bios 1009 onto my board. the harddisk would spin, lights on cd-rom clicking but no beep no bootup. I cleared the cmos and it booted up fine.

:cool: :eek: :redface: :frown: :lol: :mad: :eek: :smile: :tongue: :wink:

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your Enermax is a dud. DOA. Exchange it for another one, and you should be fine. It may be supplying power, but the power supply provides voltages of +5v, -5v, +12v, -12v. If any one of the voltages are missing, you will not function properly.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Here's an interesting twist to the story. After putting my old PSU back in, I now get a floppy drive failure every time I boot up. Did the Enermax blow out my floppy drive or something? I guess now I have to try the floppy from my second system to see if that works. What fun ...

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I amazes me there are still 3 1/2 floppy drives around. Those disks die so easy! and are so small. Seems like they could come up with a better way to boot up a low level OS when problems occur. Maybe with an onborad chip, or card, or my favorite the bootible CD in a handle business card form factor :smile:

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

dhlucke

Polypheme
They're getting rid of the floppy and serial port on motherboards next year. At least on intel motherboards.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

tlaughrey

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
Okay, the plot thickens. The Enermax is not a dud. I tested it on another system and it works fine. It's just my system it doesn't like apparently. I found some posts on a different website last night that indicated that Enermax PSU's have problems with KT266A boards. Something about the 5V line. Has anyone else heard that?

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"Okay, the plot thickens. The Enermax is not a dud. I tested it on another system and it works fine. It's just my system it doesn't like apparently. I found some posts on a different website last night that indicated that Enermax PSU's have problems with KT266A boards. Something about the 5V line. Has anyone else heard that?"</font color=blue>

Sorry. Can't help you here....