why AMD XP is faster than P4

blue_heart

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001
i tell my all friends who use computers that AMD XP is Faster than P4, and they all ask me why?
i tell because AMD performs 9 OPC while P4 only 6 OPC
they say what else? but i donot know what to tell

so what else which make the AMD XP faster than P4?

wish if there was UnDo in the life

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Oh please I don't want to see another arguement of XP vs p4 (AMD vs Intel) this is getting far too mundane.

I would like to point out that you cannot comprehensively compare the XP with the p4 and conclude one is faster than the other.

Each procesor excel in diffrent situations/applications. One may be faster in some tasks but be slower in others. Besides the 'performance' of a PC depends on the whole 'package' which I can't be bothered to get into cause it will take forever.

You obviously want to somehow convince your friends that XP is better than P4. I suggest you do your own research and come up with your own arguement, bearing in mind each processor has its strengths and weaknesses and there will be no clear winner (unless you bring in another factor i.e cost).

Am I making myself clear ? or am I just going around in circles ?

...man this is pointless...give it up.
At the end of the day it comes down to personal choice and what you use your PC for. Look at me I'm still using a k62-333Mhz, this is more than adeaquate for me and consider my PC 'fast' in what it does i.e surfing the web and writing letters in Word 97.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

OzzieBloke

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2001
Bullsh!t! Cyrix are the fastest, and I have proven it.

To put this entire "which is faster" B.S. to an end, I got a chip of the three common processors: one pentium 4, one athlon xp, and a cyrix/C3.

I launched each one with a ging over a distance of 10m with a friend's help, using an impact sensor to time how long it took each chip to hit, using a trip-beam just in front of the ging to start the timer.

Cyrix hit fastest at 0.17 seconds.
Athlon hit second fastest at 0.20 seconds.
Intel hit slowest at 0.21 seconds.

So, there you have it. Cyrix chips are the *fastest* chip you can ever get, thanks probably to it's excellent aerodynamics.

Now all of you ah heck off and find something better to do with your time.

How long is a piece of string? The same shape as something beige.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
lol, upgrade to Windows XP and Office XP and your PC won't be "fast" anymore. I agree though, however, that there's too much debate over which processor is faster or better. But clock for clock the Athlon XP is faster than the P4 in practically every single task by a significantly margin so I guess he was just asking why that is so.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
True, but that requires specific optimizations. Anyway, using 2 completely unoptimized apps, on a clock for clock basis, the Athlon XP will always win.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

yep! and use the latest extensions of 3DNow! xp will rampin rampagin roar!!

peace outz!!!

G

Problem with the P4 is there just aint the software out yet.
Still.
The Athlon just plain beats it with brute force.

lol, upgrade to Windows XP and Office XP and your PC won't be "fast" anymore.
...but at least it wont leak its memory everywhere after some up-time and then give a BSOD to tell you that you just gained some more lost chains etc...
:smile:

<font color=red>Cyrix 166 + 8MB RAM + 14k baud + 300MB HD + Lynx under MS-DOS...</font color=red><font color=green> Jealous?</font color=green>

varlo

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2001
Why the F*CK are you still fithing again...the fact of the matters is that 80% of the poeple i know are still running P2/3 or K6-2 bellow 600Mhz and ALL their games/application still run on them,do you know that most people can even afford this type of power and are going for celerons!

P4 or XP it does'nt matters both are way faster then the first Vic20 or comodore64 and both P4 and XP runs EVERYTHING.

Bty i still own a comodore64 and from time to time open it up and play old games whit it...this make me enjoy what i got!

Whats the point exacly...are you all millionaires????

Sorry for my spelling i'm french...hey i ain't perfect!

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
well for one thing, doesnt the pentium4 run at a higher internal clock speed but gets less work done per cycle? hence 1.46 (1700+) amd's running with p4 1.7ghz.
i assume intel couldnt make a better processor, so they made sure it would clock high and appear fast.
kinda like mustang vs. camaro, both look good but camaro has more power and wins everytime. what matters is on the inside (and intel inside doesnt help matters much).

G

no, Mustangs win every time, what you been smokin...

sorry everybody I just couldn't contain myself.

G

no, mustangs always win, no matter what. This is because they have been blessed by a higher power.

With respect to CPU's I try to maintain some semblance of a neutral stance. For me cars are different.

again, sorry. In case it isn't obvious, I am kidding around a little here.

CoOLMaNX

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Bah, NOS is for cheaters :) but as for pure muscle is going, I'd have to say that the new Camaro's rock the Mustangs just because theres no more shelby helping out good ol' Ford (ford blows donkey balls). As for the classic muscle, lets run a 67 shelby gt 500 against a 69 camaro SS. But for those who cant experience the speed in a car, we tend to like the speed where we're at most, THE COMPUTER! So to answer the orginal question, why amd XP is faster, cause its newer :) wait til the northwoods and then p4 gains the edge yet again

scamtrOn

Illustrious
Nov 20, 2001
lol. hey you are going to kill me. NOS is a comany. my head is about to blow oh no no nooooooooooooooo. boooom.

so what is your favorit car? and what you drive?

<font color=red><b><i>you</i> keep talking and i'll pretend i'm listening.</b></font color=red>

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
What exactly does injecting Nitrous Oxide into the combustion chamber do exactly? Sorry, I'm sitting here doing circuit analysis and getting very bored.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

charliec2uk

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2001
What do YOU drive? I wish I could have one of those classic 70's muscle cars but the f***ing bl***y to***ng insurancane thang over here is so /\nal retentive that I can't.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Wiggy5

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2001
What exactly does injecting Nitrous Oxide into the combustion chamber do exactly?

ok two answers:
Scientific answer:
Injecting NOS into the combustion chamber, causes a more violent/faster explosion, causing the engine to work faster, and in turn propelling the car at a greater speed than possible with standard fuel.

Hillbilly answer:
Makes you go Darn Quick..

<font color=red> Sit 'n' Swivel</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
NO, the best shootout would be between the 69 Boss 429 and the 69 Camaro ZL1. The Boss 429 had the advantage of Semi-Hemisphircal Cumbustion chambers, the ZL1 had the special aluminum 427. Those two were the most powerfull versions ever built. Both could be tuned to over 500HP with headers and open exhaust, no N2O, no Turbo's, and horrible efficiency.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?