8400 Noise Level vs Speed

Several recent threads discussed the noise level of the 8400. Most
posters reported the machine to be relatively quiet, but in general,
few hardware details were provided. The 8400 is available with the
following processor speeds: 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6 GHz. At what point
in this progression would the noise level increase significantly? I'm
concerned that at some point the heat generated by the faster
processors will be enough to bump up the fan speed a notch or two.
I'd like to get a fast machine, but not if the tradeoff is additional
noise.

Thanks,
--buzz

Sound level is very dependant on the location of the computer. For
instance if you have it on an open shelf
that has little support that board will act as a sounding board and make
ANY computer louder. The same thing occurs with most wooden computer
desks also. Many have the computer in an enclosed wooden box with little
ventilation BUT lots of sound reflecting material around it.
If you want to quiet a machine down a LOT there are a couple easy
tricks. One is to buy some of the little carpeted self stick pads they
sell for furniture and stick 4 of them on bottom of the case as
replacements for the factory rubber feet. Another is to buy some cheap
carpeting and line the interior of the desks CPU well with it to stop a
lot of the reflected sound. To also help the machine I usually either
remove the back of the CPU well to improve cooling OR I connect a piece
of drier duct to it and route that low to the floor to pick up cooler
air (in summer I have been known to put it in front of the AC duct).

--
Steve

Buzz wrote:
> Several recent threads discussed the noise level of the 8400. Most
> posters reported the machine to be relatively quiet, but in general,
> few hardware details were provided. The 8400 is available with the
> following processor speeds: 3.0, 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6 GHz. At what point
> in this progression would the noise level increase significantly? I'm
> concerned that at some point the heat generated by the faster
> processors will be enough to bump up the fan speed a notch or two.
> I'd like to get a fast machine, but not if the tradeoff is additional
> noise.
>
> Thanks,
> --buzz

Besides processor speed, another factor to consider is the video card. If
you are not into gaming, the Radeon X300SE is an option to consider as it
does not need a fan.

"Don Enderton" <Enderton@nosuchaddress.duh> wrote in message
> Nick, is that floor carpeted?
>
> - Don

yep

I have a 3.4 GHz 8400 with 2 hard drives and a X800 video card. Even after
playing 3D games for a while, the machine is relatively quiet. If you put
your hand by the rear fans, you will definitely feel a steady flow of warm
air. Quite handy in winter, but I'll have to see how much it warms up the
room during the summer!

Jean-Luc

"Jean-Luc Brouillet" <jeanluc@expertise.com> wrote in message
>I have a 3.4 GHz 8400 with 2 hard drives and a X800 video card. Even after
> playing 3D games for a while, the machine is relatively quiet. If you put
> your hand by the rear fans, you will definitely feel a steady flow of warm
> air. Quite handy in winter, but I'll have to see how much it warms up the
> room during the summer!
>
> Jean-Luc

Generally, I don't know that the noise element can be pegged to any given
speed of processor.

I will, however, say this: *all* of the Prescott (1mb) chips run
considerably warmer under the passive heatsink than their Northwood
predecessors.

I mean *noticeably* warmer - and would certainly aid in a minor way to
heating the ambient air in a small room.

Stew

LUCIFER

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002

Dell changed my heatsink and case fan and now my computer is totally
quiet. Before, my computer was like a vaccum.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"lucifer" <uttechnodragon@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
> Dell changed my heatsink and case fan and now my computer is totally
> quiet. Before, my computer was like a vaccum.

Me too.

I have 3GHZ, 1GB and X300SE. Leaf blower noise was with the PC on first start-up
and never went away (only got worse with the change in pitch from the CPU fan). I
sort of accepted it for a few weeks but it did start to affect my mood :D

All the noises my PC made before are still there. The only difference now is it's
90% quieter at least.

Engineer's report said "Replaced CPU fan".

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

John wrote:
> "lucifer" <uttechnodragon@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>
>>Dell changed my heatsink and case fan and now my computer is totally
>>quiet. Before, my computer was like a vaccum.
>

> Me too.
>
> I have 3GHZ, 1GB and X300SE. Leaf blower noise was with the PC on first start-up
> and never went away (only got worse with the change in pitch from the CPU fan). I
> sort of accepted it for a few weeks but it did start to affect my mood :D
>

> All the noises my PC made before are still there. The only difference now is it's
> 90% quieter at least.
>
> Engineer's report said "Replaced CPU fan".

I too have the 8400 vacuum cleaner model and would like to know if there
is a "magic phrase" that you guys used with tech support to get your PC
muzzled.

I will admit that I did make one call but gave up in frustration after
not being able to communicate with the person I was speaking with
(extremely limited knowledge + language barrier = total frustration).

Should I expect to get the run around or is there a specific detail I
need to mention to point them to the appropriate flip card with the
correct response and determine my PC is noisy to the point of being
absurd and needs to be fixed?

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

"John" <john@invalid.org> wrote in message
> John wrote:
>> "lucifer" <uttechnodragon@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message
>>
>>>Dell changed my heatsink and case fan and now my computer is totally
>>>quiet. Before, my computer was like a vaccum.
>>

>> Me too.
>>
>> I have 3GHZ, 1GB and X300SE. Leaf blower noise was with the PC on first
>> start-up and never went away (only got worse with the change in pitch from the
>> CPU fan). I sort of accepted it for a few weeks but it did start to affect my
>> mood :D
>>

>> All the noises my PC made before are still there. The only difference now is
>> it's 90% quieter at least.
>>
>> Engineer's report said "Replaced CPU fan".
>>

> I too have the 8400 vacuum cleaner model and would like to know if there is a
> "magic phrase" that you guys used with tech support to get your PC muzzled.
>
> I will admit that I did make one call but gave up in frustration after not being
> able to communicate with the person I was speaking with (extremely limited
> knowledge + language barrier = total frustration).
>
> Should I expect to get the run around or is there a specific detail I need to
> mention to point them to the appropriate flip card with the correct response and
> determine my PC is noisy to the point of being absurd and needs to be fixed?

I would NEVER (except for the most simple thing) phone anybody for advice on
anything to do with electronics. Speaking to someone I find hard to understand
(Asian English) is a definite no-no. Very stressful.

I emailed and got a reply within a few hours and then 2 further emails asking me
to check this and that and then I got an email asking when I would like it picked
up.

They uplifted it on a Wednesday and delivered the following Wednesday. No problem.

>i didn't bother to call or email. i went online and chat with them.
> it's much better that way.

Good idea, but I like to keep a record of what's said.

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

John wrote:
> "John" <john@invalid.org> wrote in message
>
>>John wrote:
>>
>>>"lucifer" <uttechnodragon@yahoo-dot-com.no-spam.invalid> wrote in message

>>>Me too.
>>>
>>>I have 3GHZ, 1GB and X300SE. Leaf blower noise was with the PC on first
>>>start-up and never went away (only got worse with the change in pitch from the
>>>CPU fan). I sort of accepted it for a few weeks but it did start to affect my
>>>mood :D
>>>

>>>All the noises my PC made before are still there. The only difference now is
>>>it's 90% quieter at least.
>>>
>>>Engineer's report said "Replaced CPU fan".
>>>

>>I too have the 8400 vacuum cleaner model and would like to know if there is a
>>"magic phrase" that you guys used with tech support to get your PC muzzled.
>>
>>I will admit that I did make one call but gave up in frustration after not being
>>able to communicate with the person I was speaking with (extremely limited
>>knowledge + language barrier = total frustration).
>>
>>Should I expect to get the run around or is there a specific detail I need to
>>mention to point them to the appropriate flip card with the correct response and
>>determine my PC is noisy to the point of being absurd and needs to be fixed?
>

> I would NEVER (except for the most simple thing) phone anybody for advice on
> anything to do with electronics. Speaking to someone I find hard to understand
> (Asian English) is a definite no-no. Very stressful.
>
> I emailed and got a reply within a few hours and then 2 further emails asking me
> to check this and that and then I got an email asking when I would like it picked
> up.
>
> They uplifted it on a Wednesday and delivered the following Wednesday. No problem.

Thanks for the advice. Like you, I too tried to learn to live with the
noise, but starting to get feelings similar to Jack Nicholson in The
Shining....it ain't gonna make it through the winter!

Hi

I have purchased 8400 with 3.4 GHz CPU, 300 GPU (no fan) and I think
the machine is noisy. I complained and had Dell drop off a case
(CPU) fan replacement but, I still hear it and the aggrevating part,
is the variable pitch. I read on Forums to turn off Hyperthreading
and to use Quiet mode on the HD (thru BIOS) and it did make a small
difference. I have searched to see if I can replace the fan with
something more civilized but ran into the problem the Dell's fan come
with a 4-wire fan (instead of 3 wires) and a 5-pin molex connector
(instead of 3-pin or 4-pin). Has any one replaced the Dell fan with
a quieter fan? and how about the wiring?

Neil

njarif wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have purchased 8400 with 3.4 GHz CPU, 300 GPU (no fan) and I think
> the machine is noisy. I complained and had Dell drop off a case
> (CPU) fan replacement but, I still hear it and the aggrevating part,
> is the variable pitch. I read on Forums to turn off Hyperthreading
> and to use Quiet mode on the HD (thru BIOS) and it did make a small
> difference. I have searched to see if I can replace the fan with
> something more civilized but ran into the problem the Dell's fan come
> with a 4-wire fan (instead of 3 wires) and a 5-pin molex connector
> (instead of 3-pin or 4-pin). Has any one replaced the Dell fan with
> a quieter fan? and how about the wiring?
>
> Neil

Well, I just got an 8400 and mine doesn't hardly make any noise at all.
I bought a 3.4 and the GeForce 6800 and the machine isn't any noisier
than a laptop. I have HT turned on and haven't enabled the quiet mode
on the hard drive.

Patrick L. Parks wrote:
> njarif wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I have purchased 8400 with 3.4 GHz CPU, 300 GPU (no fan) and I think
>> the machine is noisy. I complained and had Dell drop off a case
>> (CPU) fan replacement but, I still hear it and the aggrevating part,
>> is the variable pitch. I read on Forums to turn off Hyperthreading
>> and to use Quiet mode on the HD (thru BIOS) and it did make a small
>> difference. I have searched to see if I can replace the fan with
>> something more civilized but ran into the problem the Dell's fan come
>> with a 4-wire fan (instead of 3 wires) and a 5-pin molex connector
>> (instead of 3-pin or 4-pin). Has any one replaced the Dell fan with
>> a quieter fan? and how about the wiring?
>>
>> Neil
>>
> Well, I just got an 8400 and mine doesn't hardly make any noise at all.
> I bought a 3.4 and the GeForce 6800 and the machine isn't any noisier
> than a laptop. I have HT turned on and haven't enabled the quiet mode
> on the hard drive.

I also have an 8400 but with a 3.2 and also the GeForce 6800. I'd like
it to be quieter without jeoperdizing the cooling function. It's not
very loud but much noisier than my Dell 8200 which sits next to it.