Which Palm?

Tags:
April 1, 2005 12:52:24 AM

Background,

I travel, work in Sales and Operations and use the PDA heaviest for contact
and schedule management, but with the latest capability would move into
using Excel, Word, & MP3, etc on an occasional basis rather than firing up
the laptop.

Loved my Handspring Visor Deluxe (until I left it in a cab)
Hate my current Zire21 (bought because that was all that was available at
the store when I went to replace the Visor... screen size stinks, no color,
stylus sensitivity comes and goes and it crashes on global search every
time, even with no 3rd pty software loaded.

Live and work in areas where Bluetooth, WiFi are not readily available and
currently not a consideration in the purchase.

I really like the Palm platform and am looking at the T3, T5 (Currently same
price as T3 with free wireless keyboard) & TC.

Price is so similar between the three units now that cost isn't a factor.

Questions:

Which one & why?

Pro's & Cons from those who own'em? Especially related to Reliability,
Battery Life,Current OS, frequency of crashes, reasons and whether it is a
permanent "feature" or solvable.

Opinions on the wireless keyboard (larger size and free with the T5) vs. the
built-in tiny keyboard with the TC

--
Keith Warren

More about : palm

Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:57:43 AM

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:52:24 -0500, "Keith Warren" <keith_warren@alltel.net>
spewed forth these words of wisdom:

>Background,
>
>I travel, work in Sales and Operations and use the PDA heaviest for contact
>and schedule management, but with the latest capability would move into
>using Excel, Word, & MP3, etc on an occasional basis rather than firing up
>the laptop.
>
>Loved my Handspring Visor Deluxe (until I left it in a cab)
>Hate my current Zire21 (bought because that was all that was available at
>the store when I went to replace the Visor... screen size stinks, no color,
>stylus sensitivity comes and goes and it crashes on global search every
>time, even with no 3rd pty software loaded.
>
>Live and work in areas where Bluetooth, WiFi are not readily available and
>currently not a consideration in the purchase.
>
>I really like the Palm platform and am looking at the T3, T5 (Currently same
>price as T3 with free wireless keyboard) & TC.
>
>Price is so similar between the three units now that cost isn't a factor.
>
>Questions:
>
>Which one & why?
>
> Pro's & Cons from those who own'em? Especially related to Reliability,
>Battery Life,Current OS, frequency of crashes, reasons and whether it is a
>permanent "feature" or solvable.
>
>Opinions on the wireless keyboard (larger size and free with the T5) vs. the
>built-in tiny keyboard with the TC

I detest the slider on the T3, but others love it. I own a T5. It's been very
stable.

Galley
Anonymous
April 1, 2005 5:21:50 PM

Add Treo 650. Palm + keyboard + camera + cell phone + internet & email
on the go + coverage anywhere in the USA where you have cell coverage so
you can go online (yep, bathroom, beach, freeway, anywhere there's cell
coverage).

Basically, if you want to replace your notebook completely, this baby is
it. You can even VNC remote control another PC from the TREO 650 from
wherever you are with the Treo 650.

amazon.com or fatwallet.com/forums/ -> hot deals usually has the lowest
prices.

Once you start thinking about a Palm that's >$250, I'd start thinking
Treo 650 instead of the other choices -- far more flexible, adds a host
of features that would be useful in your line of work, and it's the only
one where you can respond to your email sales inquiries from anywhere in
the USA at anytime. (no more shuffling back to home office to pickup
emails, get that darn laptop to show presentations or online marketing
materials, get your driving direction maps, etc.)
April 3, 2005 12:34:17 AM

Dear Keith,

I think that both the Tungsten | T3 and Tungsten | C are very fine
devices, but they are quite different.

I personally use the Tungsten | C every day, and chose it primarily
because of the integrated WiFi and large amount of internal memory, but
ended up finding that the thumb-keyboard is wonderful.

The T3 does have a larger screen, a soft graffiti area, a voice
recorder, and Bluetooth, but does not have WiFi or the thumb-keyboard.

So if you need WiFi you definitely shouldn't choose the Tungsten | T3.
The Sony TH-55 is similar to the T3 and T5 in physical design (screen,
microphone, no keyboard, etc.) but includes WiFi as well. However, I
have been extremely impressed with the keyboard on the Tungsten |
C---despite years of practice with graffiti and TextPlus I can usually
type faster on the thumb-keyboard, and I like having the choice to use
graffiti or the keyboard in any situation.

I also have the wireless keyboard, and do use it when I am sitting down
and want to use the Palm for a long period of heavy text entry. It is
a valuable accessory for any Palm if you ever want to use it for
serious text entry, but I find that the thumb-keyboard on the Tungsten
| C let's me avoid pulling out the keyboard in some situations
(especially handy when I haven't brought the keyboard with me!)

I would stay away from the Tungsten | T5. I find the physical design
less convenient than the Tungsten | T3, the "flash-drive" functionality
can be mirrored in every way with an SD expansion card and Softick's
Card Export II software, and the file system in the T5 makes it
incompatible with some third-party applications.

You can find much more detailed reviews on my website:

http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/whichpalm.html

Best,

--Sam Lipoff
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:19:45 AM

You're almost hurting my feeling. I use the T|E for almost the exact
purpose Keith spoke of. Of course I do not have wireless capability but
I do listen to audio books EVERYWHERE with it. It has all my contacts
and appointments in it. With the doc-to-go I do some document stuff. I
sync it with my laptop every week or so. AND it was cheaper than these
others you have recommended.

However, I do find it a bit dis hearting that you can not change the
intensity of the backlight.

Just my 2 cents.

Fred

Sam Lipoff wrote:
> Dear Keith,
>
> I think that both the Tungsten | T3 and Tungsten | C are very fine
> devices, but they are quite different.
>
> I personally use the Tungsten | C every day, and chose it primarily
> because of the integrated WiFi and large amount of internal memory, but
> ended up finding that the thumb-keyboard is wonderful.
>
> The T3 does have a larger screen, a soft graffiti area, a voice
> recorder, and Bluetooth, but does not have WiFi or the thumb-keyboard.
>
> So if you need WiFi you definitely shouldn't choose the Tungsten | T3.
> The Sony TH-55 is similar to the T3 and T5 in physical design (screen,
> microphone, no keyboard, etc.) but includes WiFi as well. However, I
> have been extremely impressed with the keyboard on the Tungsten |
> C---despite years of practice with graffiti and TextPlus I can usually
> type faster on the thumb-keyboard, and I like having the choice to use
> graffiti or the keyboard in any situation.
>
> I also have the wireless keyboard, and do use it when I am sitting down
> and want to use the Palm for a long period of heavy text entry. It is
> a valuable accessory for any Palm if you ever want to use it for
> serious text entry, but I find that the thumb-keyboard on the Tungsten
> | C let's me avoid pulling out the keyboard in some situations
> (especially handy when I haven't brought the keyboard with me!)
>
> I would stay away from the Tungsten | T5. I find the physical design
> less convenient than the Tungsten | T3, the "flash-drive" functionality
> can be mirrored in every way with an SD expansion card and Softick's
> Card Export II software, and the file system in the T5 makes it
> incompatible with some third-party applications.
>
> You can find much more detailed reviews on my website:
>
> http://sam.lipoff.org/palmpilot/whichpalm.html
>
> Best,
>
> --Sam Lipoff

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:52:48 PM

Frederick Wilson <faNOTTHISwilson@comcast.net> wrote:

> I use the T|E...
>However, I do find it a bit dis hearting that you can not change the
>intensity of the backlight.

If I've undrestood/edited you correctly, and you want to turn off the backlight
on the TE or dim it past the stops, google for the free program SilkDimmer. Once
enabled it replaces the internal slider and gives you complete control.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 7:52:49 PM

Thanks, I'll look into that. I didn't think there was anything I could
do about it.

!