My computer is only showing 4 of 12 gb ram

Hello,
I bought a new comp with 12 gb 1600 Mhz ram with windows vista 64. When I first started it up, it only showed I had 8 gb of available mem. Then the day that Windows 7 came out, I installed that and it dropped to 4gb and hasnt changed since. I have physically looked to make sure the ram is in the slots and my guess is somehow the BIOS settings got messed up straight from the factory when I ordered my comp. Bottom line is that I spent a great deal of money buying this ultra gaming computer and to have it have problems such as running slow, freezing, not using all 12 gb of ram is the most frustrating thing ever for me. Any advice, tips, help would be much appreciated.

Specs:
Alienware X-58 ALX
i7 Processor 920(If I remember correctly) OC to 3.86 Ghz
12 Gb 1600 Mhz RAM
2x GTX 295 1.8 Gbz GPU (Overkill I know... but go big or go home)
1200 Watt ALX PSU
1 TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Any other info required, just let me know,
Thanks
9 answers Last reply
More about computer showing
  1. First of all, confirm that you're using the 64-bit version of Windows.

Next, try the following:

Start -> type "msconfig" into the Search box, press <Enter>
    Click the "Boot" tab
    Click the "Advanced Options..." button
    Make sure that "Maximum Memory" is NOT checked.

...then reboot.
  2. sminlal said:
    First of all, confirm that you're using the 64-bit version of Windows.

Next, try the following:

Start -> type "msconfig" into the Search box, press <Enter>
    Click the "Boot" tab
    Click the "Advanced Options..." button
    Make sure that "Maximum Memory" is NOT checked.

...then reboot.

Ok I verified under System that it has Windows 7 64 -bit installed.

I went to msconfig and found that the Maximum Memory was not checked to begin with.

So now Im back to the beginning if you have any other ideas.

Thanks
  3. Those are my tips, not sure if anyone else can contribute.

If you're having stability issues then the first thing you probably need to do is to reconfigure your system to stock speeds and voltages and see if it runs OK that way.
  4. Have you contacted Alienware?
  5. ksampanna said:
    Have you contacted Alienware?

Not yet. It's probably my next step. Was hoping it was a quick fix or something I could take care of.
  6. You don't want to delay contacting them. They are the best ppl to serve you. Also should you try any hardware troubleshooting yourself, you might void the warranty on the rig (the last thing you would want).
  7. ksampanna said:
    You don't want to delay contacting them. They are the best ppl to serve you. Also should you try any hardware troubleshooting yourself, you might void the warranty on the rig (the last thing you would want).

Good advice. If it wasnt for the OC CPU, I would prob backup all data and just wipe the hard drive and start anew. Not my favorite idea but im to that point if it doesnt get fixed.
    Thanks agian
  8. Hello kevick11,

You need Windows 7 64bit to address more than 6GB...that being said..

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
    When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support
  9. windows7guy said:
    Hello kevick11,

You need Windows 7 64bit to address more than 6GB...that being said..

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
    When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again,
    John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Support

John M,

Thank you for the information and yes I already knew this. I bought my comp with Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit and upgraded it with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Now I bought the upgrade version of Windows 7 instead of the full OEM Windows 7. Im not sure if the upgrade version might have created problems when upgrading from Vista to 7 but the install process seemed to go flawless when I upgraded.

As always though thanks for any insight.
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers RAM Windows Vista Computers Windows 7