socket 370 > slot 1 adapters

G

I have a dual processor capable slot-1 mainboard that is currently running a single slot-1 733MHz processor. What I would like to do is install a second 733MHz processor, but where I live slot 1's are extremely expensive. Would I be able to use a socket-370 to slot-1 adapter for the second processor? Or are there fundamental differences?

On a sidenote, how do I find out the cache size of my processor?

Thanks in advance.

BuGaLoU

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
It should work fine, but one never knows with computers :smile: .

To find the cache size you could get a program liek si Sandra or cpuid. Or you could get down to the nitty gritty and look on the chip itself. I think it was silk screened on the top lip of the plastic casing on slot 1 p3s .

Computer: $2000 Internet Access: $40 Registering for forums: Free A good signature: Priceless

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
slot1 processors are expensive everywhere!

if you can get the couple of Asus S370-DL slotket, they support SMP, you can use the newer socket370 processors with it.

You can sell off your slot1 733 (it should fetch a good price) and get a pair of P-III 800s with the S370DL slotket.

I would suggest this because if you use a socket processor on slotket in one slot and a original slot1 processor in the other, the system might have problems. They always recommend the CPUs be from the same stepping, same speed etc.

Basically, slot and sockets are just two ways to mount a processor onto the motherboard, electrically there is no or too little difference, so small that a slotket adapter simply converts the socket CPU into a slot CPU!

get the wcpuid utility from <A HREF="http://www.h-oda.com" target="_new">http://www.h-oda.com</A>, it will show you every detail of your CPU as well as the motherboard, and that includes the cache details, speed etc.

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>