Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Laptop graphics

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
June 21, 2011 9:18:07 PM

I noticed I made this thread in the wrong section... So I am posting it here.

I am going to buy a new laptop for college and since there is that deal to buy a laptop that is $699.99+ and get a free xbox 360. I'm going to sell that xbox anyways haha! I am going to buy the New Dell Inspiron 15R-2nd generation which is $649.99.

Here is the link to it.
http://www.dell.com/us/p/inspiron-r/fs?3x_nav=DISPLY_VI...

Now I'm deciding on to upgrade the graphics or the memory so that my price range is $699.99+ to get the xbox 360 deal. I want to know if the graphics card, amd radeon 6470m, is worth it. I heard it's kind of faster than the Intel HD 3000 graphics. Not by a whole lot though. Now, should I upgrade the Graphics or should I upgrade to the 6gb memory. I really wish Dell would have a better mobile graphics card though.... Oh and if you guys can find the same build with a better graphics card let me know! Please leave your comments!

More about : laptop graphics

Best solution

a c 571 D Laptop
June 21, 2011 9:35:33 PM

aznkidd said:
I want to know if the graphics card, amd radeon 6470m, is worth it. I heard it's kind of faster than the Intel HD 3000 graphics. Not by a whole lot though.
Correct. Not better by much, but a decent upgrade if you're at all interested in gaming (low graphics settings mostly) since there is better driver support.

Instead of the Insprion 14R I like this deal better.
Dell XPS 15" "Sandy Bridge" Core i5 Laptop $644
Core i5-2410M 2.3GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7200rpm HDD and 1GB GeForce GT 525M graphics.
Configure to $700+ and get a better gaming laptop.

Related resources
June 27, 2011 3:02:47 AM

Best answer selected by aznkidd.
m
l
June 27, 2011 3:05:48 AM

Sorry for the late reply. I decided I will purchase the Dell XPS 15 since it is cheaper(with the $100 coupon off) and has BETTER computer specs.

Though, I'm worried about the Nvidia Optimus thingy. I am not experienced with that. Are there any downside to that? And can you give me a link to where it explains all about that. Please and thank you!
m
l
June 27, 2011 6:41:06 AM

The review helped clear my questions. The video, however, scared me. I was reading the comments and it seems like many people were having problems with the Nvidia Optimus. I am having second thoughts about this optimus thing now... :( 
m
l
a c 571 D Laptop
June 27, 2011 5:48:25 PM

aznkidd said:
I was reading the comments and it seems like many people were having problems with the Nvidia Optimus.
Read them again - more carefully.
Then look at the video. You should be able to tell what they're doing wrong. (no profiles)

Did you see the person that said Optimus didn't work with Steam games?
How do you add Steam Games to Optimus
m
l
June 30, 2011 7:15:34 AM

Ok I have decided to purchase it 100% now. Ty for your help.
m
l
!