Sign in with
Your question

Networking Linux to WInXp

Last response: in Networking
February 1, 2002 12:56:29 AM

I have one PC running XP and the second PC running a dual boot of Win 98 and Linux. I had the XP and 98 OS talking to each other. I am using an ethernet router to share DSL on both machines. How do I set up Linux to share the XP resources and how do I set up XP to share the Linux resources?

Stranger than you

More about : networking linux winxp

February 5, 2002 12:12:05 AM

If you need any help setting up Samba, you can try SWAT or Webmin.

Of course, real men edit their /etc/smb.conf by hand ;) 

"If you teach a child to read, then he or her will be able to pass a literacy test" - George W.
Related resources
February 5, 2002 7:59:20 AM

theres another program, though the name escapes me, (IMO) gives a network neighborhood like interface on linux and a gui config, Im at work now so cant check for you but will look later, bty if your xp box ntfs or fat32? ntfs and linux are still not 100%

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
February 5, 2002 10:48:46 AM

Quote:
if your xp box ntfs or fat32? ntfs and linux are still not 100%

CALV, If these are to be network accesses, the filesystem used on the server is irrelevant, so long as the server OS can read the filesystem. What's necessary in this case is that Linux and Windows share a network file sharing protocol, which they do. The simplest way to configure this is through Samba, using Linux as the client OS.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
February 5, 2002 11:43:36 AM

but arnt there issues with a linux box writing to remote system thats drives are ntfs (using samba)? I was under the impression there was.

If they squeeze olives to get olive oil, how do they get baby oil?
!