problemunder device mgr

G

Just built a new system. Loaded all drivers sucessfully except under "other devices" within ctrl panel. There is an unknown device that requires a driver. The trouble is I have no idea what the device is. All hardware has been accounted for as far as I know and everything is working just fine. Any ideas?

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try removing it from device manager. When you reboot Windows should find it again and may tell you what type of device (at least generally) it is when it tries to re-install it.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

G

I tried what you suggested, no luck. It is still being seen as an unknown device and the os can't find a driver for it.

bdaley

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I don't know what to tell you.

If everything seems to be working fine, you can just disable the device and not worry about it.

Good Luck.

"There's no such thing as gravity, the Earth just sucks"

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That would bug me too much to live with. If u got the time start removing cards one at a time then remove the unknown device and restart. If the unknown device returns then u know it’s not that card. Like my sound card loads up 3 devices in the system/control panel.

G

Thanks for the idea I'll try that. I have a feeling it has something to do with onboard sound. Just a hunch though.

The board is a DFI AK74-EC, with onboard sound.

Might there be a device built into the board that requires a driver aside from usb, agp and the packaged MB drivers?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by themechanic on 02/12/01 06:57 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

waggers

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i had exactly the same problem a few months ago when i installed a new sound card.when comp. booted up i got a quick flash of " cannot load blah,blah,conflict ,etc " checked everthing, can't find any conflicts,except for an unknown device,did everthing you've tried.
i had some devices sharing irq's,knew this was problem,so moved modem then sound card into different slots it moved bits about,but it all sorted itself out when i disabled com2 and freed up another irq.works great now all drivers for sound card load and sounds great.note before you adjust anything in bios write down the settings and what you changed them to
regards waggers