What store has the best product replacement plan?

April 2, 2005 4:04:51 AM

I think I've decided (with no other option, really) to get a Palm Tungsten
E and slap a product replacement plan. Then every time the screen goes bad
I'll just go get a new one. And if that means I get a new Palm every 3
months, then it's not my problem. It's Palm's. Anyone know the best store
(price and the quality of the plan) to get a plan like this.

I really have no option. I need a Palm. Palm isn't selling any decent
models that don't have at least the highly likely potential of developing
the screen buzz problem. So my only real option is to bite the bullet, get
the product replacement plan and just swap it out when it inevitably goes
bad.

Preston
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:00:57 PM

Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:

>I really have no option. I need a Palm. Palm isn't selling any decent
>models that don't have at least the highly likely potential of developing
>the screen buzz problem.

If the scuttlebutt is right, the Tungsten E2 should be out in a few weeks for
US$219. Perhaps this new updated model won't have the problem. Might be worth
waiting for...
Anonymous
April 2, 2005 12:00:58 PM

On 2005-04-02, AaronJ <noemail@noemail.com> wrote:
> Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>
>>I really have no option. I need a Palm. Palm isn't selling any decent
>>models that don't have at least the highly likely potential of developing
>>the screen buzz problem.
>
> If the scuttlebutt is right, the Tungsten E2 should be out in a few weeks for
> US$219. Perhaps this new updated model won't have the problem. Might be worth
> waiting for...

That's interesting to know. Thanks. I wasn't sure when, if ever they were
going to replace the current horrible lineup.

I think either way I'd want to slap a product replacement plan of some
kind on it. That way if they've failed to fix the screen problem I know
I'm covered for a while, at least. If PalmOne is going to make garbage,
then I'm going to consider them throwaway PDAs.

Preston
April 2, 2005 5:57:29 PM

Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>E and slap a product replacement plan. Then every time the screen goes bad
>I'll just go get a new one.

Check the details of the product replacement plan. Many of them are
done when they've replaced your product _once_, so you may want to opt
for the "gimme my money back" option, and then buy a new device with a
new product replacement plan. (This essentially sets the cost of a
replacement device to the product replacement plan cost, but that's a
detail).
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 5:09:10 PM

If not Palmone.com themselves, then perhaps bestbuy.com?

but do look at www.fatwallet.com/forums -> hot deals + www.shopper.com +
amazon.com + palmone.com -> clearance & refub'd before you buy. you may
find excellent price deals.

from fatwallet forums
eg. T2 at Officemax for $119 right now on clearance.
eg. T5 at $215 AR/PM
eg. E at palmone.com for $159 open box.
Anonymous
April 13, 2005 7:18:24 AM

William P. N. Smith wrote:
> Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:
>
>>E and slap a product replacement plan. Then every time the screen goes bad
>>I'll just go get a new one.
>

> Check the details of the product replacement plan. Many of them are
> done when they've replaced your product _once_, so you may want to opt
> for the "gimme my money back" option, and then buy a new device with a
> new product replacement plan. (This essentially sets the cost of a
> replacement device to the product replacement plan cost, but that's a
> detail).

This fact was news to me, and since I'm currently waiting for the
authorization from Best Buy to return an MP3 player with an unreliable
headphone plug, I looked it up.

So I called, to see if the "2-yr" product replacement plan is really a
"whichever-comes-first-1-return-or-2-years" plan.

Answer from BestBuy:
If I do the return during the hardware's manufacturer's warranty, it can
be re-replaced again during that warranty, and still processed through
the replacement plan via the store.

If the return/replacement is only in the store's replacement plan time
window (2 years) and is BEYOND the mfgr's warranty (>1.0 year), than any
single replacement uses up your plan.

I didn't ask what happens to the warranty when you do a replacement...
whether the hardware warranty is restarted or not. Even if not, this
seems a fair deal (and better than I expected once I realized how they
could have been ripping me off with the one-replacement-only prg).

Thanks,
- Gary
!