A tale of many light bulbs (bring fire brigade)

G

Bob is sitting in a pitch black, when Fred arrives. Curious as to why Bob is sitting in the dark, Fred asks why the lights arn't on. Bob says the lights are on, Fred has a look at the light switch and finds that this is in fact true. Noticing that the TV is on Fred knows there hasn't been a power cut and so suggests that maybe the light bulb has blown. Bob says 'the bulb is made by Intel, it cannot blow' the Fred suggests again, this time a bit more strongly that the bulb could have blown but the person refuses to hear it each time stating the bulb was made by intel and therefore cannot blow. The Fred later leaves, leaving Bob in darkness.

Bob is installing a bulb made by Intel, he drops it and is shocked that it broke but also he is upset because he can't afford a new one. Fred is installing a AMD bulb and he also drops it and it breaks. He isn't quite as suprised when it breaks but at least he knows he'll have an easier time affording a replacement.

Fred using an AMD bulb has had to fit a fan near his bulb to keep his bulb cool because otherwise it gets too hot. Bob seeing this laughs and decides to prove how cool his bulb is by touching it. He burns his finger.

Fred decides his AMD bulb isn't quite bright enough so he fiddles with it and it gets a lot brighter and he is able to keep it for longer then he would have otherwise. Later on he needs things even brighter still so he goes and buys a new bulb, which fits perfectly. Bob using the Intel lightbulb who also needs more light decides to try fiddling with his bulb to get it brighter as well, but it dosn't get that much brighter so he has to go and buy a new bulb, he gets the bulb home but finds his new bulb won't fit in his old socket.

Bob buys a new 100w Intel bulb, a fred goes and buys a 50w AMD bulb and they find that both bulbs are as bright but the 50w bulb was cheaper. Although Bob who bought the Intel bulbs insists his is better because it's 100w and is made by Intel.

Sorry I was bored and no doubt some bright chappy will find a way to turn this round on me but /me shrugs I'm not biased (rather like the idea of DDR333 on a P4 in fact) I just get annoyed by the meltdowns of this world.

Your nice new PC might be faster then my 286, but my 286 makes a better door stop :smile: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by apoc286 on 12/06/01 08:40 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
lol
The first paragraph confused the hell out of me, but it's a funny analogy. Well done, sir.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Lemming slanted views, what a moron.

Not an analogy, more like wishfull thinking.

You forgot that Fred's bulb is incomapatable with most light sockets and requires you to rewire your building to support the excessive power draw. let alone the bulb refuses to fire up most of the time and often shuts itself off randomly.

God forbit Fred's bulb burns up, it has a chance of burning the who building down cause it will destroy the socket that it sits in.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
That woudl than be the P4 ass it was the one that needed "re-wirring" as it needs EXTRA power connectors =)
new ATX Spec. remember.....??

heh....to funny....commom FUGGER, u must admit it was funny....... :wink:

-MeTaL RoCkEr

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new"> <b> My Rig </b> </A>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
You forgot that Fred's bulb is incomapatable with most light sockets and requires you to rewire your building to support the excessive power draw.
Official datasheets state that the Pentium 4 draws more power. Reports from [H]ardForum's "Strictly Intel" section suggest it runs hotter as well. You still haven't done anything to disprove either point. :tongue:

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"Official datasheets state that the Pentium 4 draws more power. Reports from [H]ardForum's "Strictly Intel" section suggest it runs hotter as well."

the P4 is not frying left and right like a tbird and AXP lately, Intel is selling more and more P4s.

your the epitome of a moot point.

btw, that light bulb is a burnt Athlon cpu so it's no wonder you folks are blind.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by AmDmElTdOwN on 12/06/01 07:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
the P4 is not frying left and right like a tbird and AXP lately
That explains why out of dozens of Athlons, I have yet to fry one.

If you lack the competence/patience to select and install a proper heatsink, that's your problem. Go ahead and buy a P4. Too bad your CPU would be throttling to 400MHz on a regular basis.

your the epitome of a moot point.
It's not such a moot point when FUGGER makes another false claim. The datasheets basically prove him wrong. :tongue:

Kelledin

G

Hello cheeky monkey :redface: ! You are nearly as good as Melty. I'd love to cover you in syrup and lick you all over whilst listening to Prince's - CREAM, although I'll have to ask Melty first.

<i>Cream
Get on top
Cream
U will cop
Cream
Don't u stop
Cream
Sh-boogie bop</i>

UH OH !

I'm starting to glow all over ! I'll be your fluffer too you know :smile: .

<font color=red><b>->Melty in my mouth MMmmm...<-</font color=red>
</b>

G

Haven't forgotten about you Melty you'll always be my no.1
This verse is just for you..hope it gives you the same amount of pleasure as it did for me :wink: .

<i>Do your dance
Why should u wait any longer?
Take a chance
It could only make u stronger
It's your time (It's your time)
U got the horn so why don't u blow it (Go on and blow it)
U're so fine (U're so fine)
U're filthy cute and baby u know it (U know it)
</i>

I'm in heaven !

<font color=red><b>->INTEL! INTEL !<-</font color=red>
<font color=blue>Melty's and Fuggers personal Fluffer</font color=blue></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by creeper on 12/07/01 07:21 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
LoL....
sorry dude i can't get over the fact your singing Prince......LoL

You got any Madonna also ?!?
lol

-MeTaL RoCkEr

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new"> <b> My Rig </b> </A>

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
LOL !! Oh man what have you created Meltdown ???! This definatley deserves a : <b>'ROTFLMAO !'</b> as you would say.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Too bad your CPU would be throttling to 400MHz on a regular basis.

That is a myth from Van's Hardware. P4s do not unnecessarily throttle back. The thermal protection in a P4 is very impressive, and if you say otherwise, you are as much of a troll as anyone else on this forum.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
fatburger, I'm glad you are a reasonable person, I've spoken to Van Smith several times and he's a belligerent ignorant paid AMDfanboy(foaming at the mouth mongrel).

he loves it when there is -Intel rumours(claims otherwise), but when there's -AMD he acts deaf, dumb and blind.

yes, Van Smith and Bert Mcomas along with Chris Tom perpetrated an Internet fud campaign(regarding P4 throttling) on the hardware tech site Aceshardware.com

the P4 throttles down but not how Van Smith puts it, it is their myth, their hope to spread it but it died.

I'm not surprised kelledin is still trying to spread this, not too bright if you ask me. :wink:

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
"I'm glad you are a reasonable person"

That makes one of us then. Hehehe

"I've spoken to Van Smith several times and he's a belligerent ignorant paid AMDfanboy"

Paid? No, but he definitely spreads stupid rumors (like the one about AMDs having problems with JPEGs and MPEGs).

"yes, Van Smith and Bert Mcomas along with Chris Tom"

Is Bert McComas from Ace's? I don't recognize the name. As for Chris Tom, I don't trust anyone who is so biased they censor the name of a company (*ntel, *MD). Wait, that sounds familiar...

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
If you properly install a sufficient HSF, then no, the P4 won't throttle back--but if you can't properly install an HSF on an Athlon, how would you install one properly on a P4? If you leave a heatsink on a P4 in a position where an Athlon would overheat, the P4 <i>will</i> throttle back. The thing has a hard enough time staying under 68C (the halt temperature) as it is.

Sure the thermal protection is excellent. My point is that if you can't install a heatsink right, the P4 isn't really the processor for you either. Either that or you shouldn't be building a comp in the first place. Sorry if I didn't make all this clear; my intention was certainly <i>not</i> to troll.

Kelledin

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, that is quite true, because regardless of the processor, it <i>will not run properly</i> if the HSF is not installed properly. Simple as that. Granted, your butt is saved if you do that to an Intel CPU, but really, if you're too ignorant to learn how to properly install a HSF, should you even be poking around in the case? Hell, they might set off an ESD and really fry things or any other number of things. Point is, the stupid/ignorant/arrogant deserve to screw things up, and it only serves them right. I mean, that's why people like us make everyone else awestruck with our vast knowledge (i.e. the ability to turn on a computer without consulting a manual or tech support). Cheers to the stupid people, and may they always be stupid, so that we, the learned, may profit from it.

-SammyBoy

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Oh, and pardon my cynicism. Lately, I've had too many experiences troubleshooting problems that are user-caused, and, in some cases, have a solution that pops up right in front of you. Why do a few people freak when the computer asks them to restart after an install or some core property changes? *sigh*

-SammyBoy, again

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yep...
sometimes i think CPU's have built in "Moron usage protection"

if u cant attach an athlon heatsink properly it fries itself to save it from the humiliation of working with a moron ;)

if your too dumb to put a p4 heatsink on properly, u loose half its performance, a silent but present protest vote!

hehe

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!

mbetea

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2001
well, how i look at is this:
if i had a p4 and didn't install the hsf properly, but i could swear from here to china i did. i would have a poorly running system and would go nuts trying to find the problem.
with an athlon, if i don't install the hsf properly and curse like a schoolgirl that it is installed right. i would definitely know that it wasn't when the thing burnt up. i would rather know the full range of my stupidity than be blind to it.

[insert philosophical statement here]

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
I agree, I would rather know I screwed up and have to pay another 100 bucks for a cpu, then to not ever know I screwed up and not be getting the full speed out of my 400 cpu forever, without any warning.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>I would rather know I screwed up and have to pay another 100 bucks for a cpu, then to not ever know I screwed up and not be getting the full speed out of my 400 cpu forever,

that's because you are an IDIOT if you can figure out that your sys is running slower than usual, with all benchmarks and MBM's out there one would be a fool to install a cpu+hsf and not test their sys on a regular basis(that's what hardware enthusiast do!).

I don't expect any thing less from AMDmonrels who agree amongst each other(while foaming at the mouths) even when their argument is as pathetic as yours.

AMD knows that there are 2x-Idiots like you ("2for1 sale" their bread n butter!) out there who don't care about their expensive "UT/Serious Sam Machine/Console" and will continue with its half-a$$ or no thermal protection solutions to save a buck.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

G

I would love to be moderator for this forum, then I could play "match the IP" with creepers IP address and find out which (im)poster they really are.

<font color=red>alere flamman</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
P4s do not unnecessarily throttle back.

Emphasis on the "unnecessarily". I agree with you, but I do not think that this is a worthless feature. Unneeded for most, perhaps. Worthless, undoubtedly no.