Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Install Windows 7 without disc on blank HDD

Last response: in Windows 7
February 11, 2013 11:41:24 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm currently in the process of buying a new laptop and one of the ways that I can save money on it is by getting it without an OS installed onto it.. I'm able to get windows 7 off of MSDN for free because my university has some sort of partnership with them or something, but obviously this is just a download and not a disc.

Therefore I was wondering if it is possible (and how is it possible) to install an OS onto an internal blank HDD without having a disc (i haven't downloaded it yet but i'm guessing you download it as a zip or maybe .iso and they send you a key as this is how it worked for other software I've got off of them)

Any help is very much appreciated,

Cheers,

Joe

More about : install windows disc blank hdd

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 9:49:54 PM

If the download is an ISO file (that's usually how Windows is distributed online) you have to make a DVD from it on a working computer, using software such as the free IMGBurn from here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_imgburn/

That DVD, when created, is to all intents & purposes just the same as a shop-bought Microsoft Windows 7 DVD, and you can boot your new laptop from it to install Windows 7.
February 14, 2013 7:30:28 AM

Ah! of course, why didn't I think of this!

Thanks very much Phil
Score
Related resources
February 14, 2013 7:30:54 AM

Best answer selected by JoeyM.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
February 15, 2013 9:33:40 PM

This topic has been closed by Brett928S2
Score
!