Two devices, one desktop, contrary to what PalmOne support..

April 2, 2005 3:19:07 AM

What PalmOne says about syncing two devices to one desktop computer
reads as follows:

>If you plan on synchronizing two different palmOne handhelds to the same PC, make sure to only install a single copy of Palm Desktop to one location on your hard drive. Do not install multiple copies to different locations.

That's fine and dandy; especially since they tell you exactly how to
view the data from each handheld through the single Palm Desktop
application.

The problem arises when one of the devices needs to a 'special'
version of Palm Desktop, since the device itself, is 'special', and
the other device is just an ordinary device. When trying to download
the latest Palm Desktop application from
http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads for your Treo 650 or
Tungsten T5, you will get the following message:

>Please use the CD version of Palm Desktop which came with your device. Do not install other versions of Palm Desktop, as they do not include the components for synchronizing the unique features of your handheld or smartphone.

So does this necessarily make PalmOne's method of only installing one
copy of the desktop software incorrect?

I have installed two copies of the same software under different
subdirectories previously, and have not come across any problems that
I've noticed. I did it because someone suggested doing it that way. It
was like this:

c:\program files\palmone\zire31\...
and...
c:\program files\palmone\m500\...

Anyone have any experiences to share?

--
Johnny
Anonymous

Hello, Johnny Kapikki !
You wrote:

> What PalmOne says about syncing two devices to one desktop
computer
> reads as follows:
>
> >If you plan on synchronizing two different palmOne handhelds
to the same PC, make sure to only install a single copy of Palm
Desktop to one location on your hard drive. Do not install
multiple copies to different locations.

> That's fine and dandy; especially since they tell you exactly
how to
> view the data from each handheld through the single Palm
Desktop
> application.
>
> The problem arises when one of the devices needs to a 'special'
> version of Palm Desktop, since the device itself, is 'special',
and
> the other device is just an ordinary device. When trying to
download
> the latest Palm Desktop application from
> http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads for your Treo 650
or
> Tungsten T5, you will get the following message:
>
> >Please use the CD version of Palm Desktop which came with your
device. Do not install other versions of Palm Desktop, as they do
not include the components for synchronizing the unique features
of your handheld or smartphone.

> So does this necessarily make PalmOne's method of only
installing one
> copy of the desktop software incorrect?

Not "necessarily" but it is a little wierd. You'd think PalmOne
would simply redirect you to a copy of the CD version.

> I have installed two copies of the same software under
different
> subdirectories previously, and have not come across any
problems that
> I've noticed. I did it because someone suggested doing it that
way. It
> was like this:
>
> c:\program files\palmone\zire31\...
> and...
> c:\program files\palmone\m500\...
>

> Anyone have any experiences to share?

I have a Treo 600 which is also "special." The only difference
between the Palm Desktop for the 600 and the regular Palm Desktop
is that the 600 desktop comes with a conduit for synchronizing
pictures taken with the Treo's camera to you PC. The 600 also
lacks PalmOne's Quick Install Tool because it's older. So while
it works with any version of the Palm Desktop, the 600 will only
synchronize its pictures if you use its software. So you have to
choose between two conveniences -- synhronization of your
pictures versus an easier to use installer. None of this would be
necessary if Palm would simply make the Treo picture conduit
available as a separate download.
--
"It's a long story. And it ends with me on the roof of a
goddamned nuthouse on Route 128 doing a one-man tribute to the

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
!