Status
Not open for further replies.

ken1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Looking for a good all round laptop that will be useful at work, playing new games (so designated graphics card is a must, preferably at 1080x1920p resolutions) & browsing. My ideal price range would be around £500 - £600.

Any ideas, or am I simply asking too much?

Looking forward to any replies ;0)

ken1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
My ideal laptop specs would be:

1. What is your budget?

£500 - £600

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Minimum 15/16 Maximum 17 inch screen

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1920 x 1080p (Native)

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable Laptop

5. How much battery life do you need?

2 hours minimum 4 hours Maximum

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Half life 2 + Episodes

Lord of the rings online

Need for speed world

Battlefield 3

Dirt 3

I'd like to play the games above at a high level but would be happy at medium level if restricted by my budget.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

My laptop would be used mostly at work so Microsoft Office programs like Word & Excel etc are a must. It would also be used for gameplaying and web browsing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Minimum 500GB Maximum 750GB

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

I would expect to keep this laptop for a minimum of 2 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer, Etc?

A Blu ray player/DVD RW combo would be most useful.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Brands are not an issue, I would just like a universally acclaimed laptop for the price.

13. What country do you live in?

United Kingdom

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Amount of RAM I would like is: Minimum 4GB Maximum 6GB

I understand that all these ideals may be very wishful thinking but it would be great to meet most of these requirements for my budget.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer ;0)

The budget is restrictive in a couple of ways. On getting a graphics card powerful enough to run modern games at high settings, and also in getting a higher resolution monitor.

The best resolution laptop screen I could find that didn't rip your budget to shreds:
Samsung R780 17" Laptop £633 with it's standard 17" 1600x900 LCD screen
Core i5-480M 2.66GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD 17.3" 1600x900 LCD w/ ATI Radeon HD5470
Webcam, Wifi, Bluetooth, Windows 7

Unfortunately you're gaming goals take a double hit. First is the very weak performance of the entry level HD 5470 graphics card. And secondly, the 1600x900 resolution will push the HD 5470 even harder than the standard 1366x768 LCD giving even weaker overall performance.
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 graphics card review

ken1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Thank you WR2 your advice is very much appreciated & will be most useful as I intend to purchase a laptop for work very soon, I will let you know how I get on as soon as I have bought it!!!

Thanks again ;0)

ken1970

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
I've decided tp up my budget to £850 but would like a DX11 card to reflect the higher cost. What would be my best bet?

Status
Not open for further replies.