more ???'s from a middle-age newbie

G

....Maybe I should leave well enough alone.......nah. I was advised (thank you) to upgrade my BIOS to make sure my simple machine would handle my new processor, nothing special, going from a 466 celeron to a 850. After doing my best to id the motherboard by the bios string-qvc-(evidently they make mobo's, and sell cheap rings on TV), I'm still not 100% sure I should be messin' with it. The machine was auction bought, so I don't have any manufacture manuals to verify exactly what I have. I ran a bios id program and know its AMI DR/DL742, dated 06/25/99. ver: 0.00.11, per the GVC/BCM site. Too wordy....sorry. Should I just plug the new processor in, and hope for the best, or per the advice of my lab assistant-Mr Kitty- try to make darn sure of what I have, or need, before I break something? And if I get real brave, or too stupid, do I use the latest bios revision of the 4 listed. Thanks.......Greyhair

digital_trucker

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001
Best advice, try your new CPU without changing anything. If it doesn't work, PAY a professional to do it for you. If you screw up your BIOS, you'll end up with a high-tech draft excluder. The BIOS will be unfixable without replacing the chip and that usually costs almost as much as a new board.

Wabbit season! Duck season! AMD season! INTEL season!
Hmmmph--whatever...

FatBurger

Illustrious
Somehow I doubt the two QVCs are the same company. That's a scary thought.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>