Installing PIII 700 Mhz in a CT-6BDU

G

I would like to upgrade my computer by installing 2 PIII 700 Mhz CPU's in a CT-6BDU Chaintech dual processor 440BX slot 1 motherboard 100 Mhz FSB. Would this work? The Bios doesn't have a 7X multiplier. But, would that matter since the PIII is multiplier locked and the CPU's would run @ 700 Mhz anyway regardless of whether the Bios had a 7X option. Will there be any problems with voltages? (ie. core? for the cpu's) I have found an example of a PC manufacturer that based a 700 PIII on this motherboard. (Evesham Vale OfficeServer PIII700) Would Evesham have had to do anything special to make this board compatable with the coppermine based PIII 700 Mhz cpu relative to the core voltages?

If the Multiplier lock works like I suspect, should 2 800 Mhz cpu's work as well? or would they (due to the 133 MHZ FSB of the 800 MHZ cpu) cause the board to become unstable?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

John

John

G

Hi.
Cpu mulitplier works exactly as you suspect. It doesn't matter if the Mobo supports 7x. Bios may show wrong information when booting, but the CPU would work at full speed.
Your Mobo was designed for support PII only. But propably PIII will work fine. The easiest way is to use PIII Katmai Slot1.
You may also try using coppermine on the Slocket adapter. Adapter should have jumper voltage adjustment. Mobo may not support lower voltages for Cumine. I'm not sure if it works. Sometimes does and sometimes doesn't.
It's possible to use FSB133 CPU, but this would mean overclocking to the board. This can make system unstable, or ever unable to start.
The best solution would be to test these configurations I wrote. All are possible but they may not work. Try and good luck!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are two issues that need to be addressed. First is whether BIOS will support Coppermines, I don't know you may want to check their website for information on the latest BIOS. Second is the core voltage-some boards were only made for 2.00v+ or 1.80v+, the 700 is either 1.65v or 1.70v, and while it can accept the added voltage without damamge, some boards refuse to boot when they detect anything out of range. So I would verify that as well.
On single processor boards I have been able to get away with changing the detected voltage to 1.80v on certain older boards, through the use of an adjustable Slotket.

IF your board can suppoly 1.65v and 1.70v, and BIOS is Coppermine compatable, give it a shot!

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

TRENDING THREADS