New MoBo + Processor + Old hdds

mattd3219

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Community:

Here is my situation. I want to do an overhaul: new motherboard, processor, graphics, and sound. I have two hdd - the first is the drive with Win7 (OEM) and the second is a near empty drive for just misc stuff.

My question comes down to this: if I upgrade my components can I still use the drive with Win7 on it? I do not wish to lose that data. If I must I can load a new copy of windows on the second (empty) drive, but I will still need access to the data on my current, primary, drive.

Any suggestions?

thanks!

Solution
my point - if you get a new SSD and install fresh to it has multiple benefits to you - mainly the performace factor in how fast it is in relation to a conventional HDD- second is you don't have to worry about any of the aformentioned tasks...install SSD, install windows, load montherboard drivers, install all windows updates, connect old HDD's and delete whatever you want off of them, while installing all programs to whichever drive you want
OEM is tied to the mobo so you will need a new copy. You're right on the money. Install on the secondary with your old primary unplugged. Once you're up and stable, reconnect and you'll be able to get your old data (may have to google how to take ownership of all the files).

dingo07

Distinguished
It will be more work than u bargain for in trying to get the drive with Win7 already installed to work... and like larrym said, it's best to do a fresh install

you should invest in a new SSD and install fresh to that, then you dont have to worry abou backing up anything and can get right to the installation...

mattd3219

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

From what I've been reading I'll need to do the following:

Install Win7 to a new drive
Once completed, attach 2nd drive
Boot to safe mode
Set permissions for 2nd drive (containing old data)
Reboot into normal Win7

That should give me permissions to access my old data. Does that sound correct?

dingo07

Distinguished
my point - if you get a new SSD and install fresh to it has multiple benefits to you - mainly the performace factor in how fast it is in relation to a conventional HDD- second is you don't have to worry about any of the aformentioned tasks...install SSD, install windows, load montherboard drivers, install all windows updates, connect old HDD's and delete whatever you want off of them, while installing all programs to whichever drive you want

Solution

mattd3219

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

Okay, my last and probably silly question: if I install a SSD, install windows, and use my two other drives, can I load programs from my original drives?

Example: I have photoshop installed on my current drive. It is nothing more than a storage drive can I load photoshop after having installed windows on a new hdd?

mattd3219

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013

If I just updated windows with a non-OEM upgrade, would that fix my problem all together?

dingo07

Distinguished

No, you will have to Install all/any programs you want after the fresh install of windows

mattd3219

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
So I ended up buying a SSD, installing Windows 8, and continued to used my blank drive as well as my drive with data. Everything works great! I installed Win 8 on the SSD (obviously) and can access all files and programs off the other drives. Sadly, there is a noticeable difference when booting a program from the old 7200 RPM drive LOL. But that's a good problem to have (future upgrades to just SDDs).

Thanks for advice everyone!