amd 1,4 ghz computer freezes

dudek

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Hi!
It seems like people here are far more skilled than I am. Since I bought my new computer a couple of months ago it tends to hang for some reason. Finally I freaked out and turned it over to my dealer, who is very nice, and I spent my last money from my student loan to have it fixed. They searched it for problems and claimed that the installation was faulty and did it for me with patches and upgrades and all. I went home, and of course it crashed. But not as often as before. But still. I cant c-alt-del, the only thing I can do is reset, it freezes totally without explanations. I've uninstalled everything that isn't necessary, like webcam and gaming controls and such... nothing seems to help.
What crap I'm using? No, it should be quite ok:
athlon t-bird 1,4 ghz, soltek 75drv, geforce 2 pro, 256 mb ddr, on win 98. Of course I'm turning it in again, but someone here might be able to tell if my computer is cursed or if the reason for the hang ups can be found...

Need more info, such as heatsink, cpu temps, and power supply. Have you loaded the latest driver from the nvidia website for your video card? I fixed my video problem by loading the generic nvidia driver, then reloading the driver that came with my gainward ti 500.

dudek

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
they didn't install the termo thing, it crashes in the programs i use; it can be games, explorer, winplayer etc... the dealer installed the latest drivers he claimes, as I did before turning it in. i'm guessing it could be due to heat as you think, but the dealer didn't report such a problem. i'll have to ask them if they checked for that

chaotictech

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've never ghad lockups because of nvidia drivers but I have had random reboots. It may be the same thing giving different results on different systems. But it would be a good idea for him to try different video drivers.

If you ever stop learning, YOU'ER DEAD!!

dudek

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
i'll tell him about trying different drivers and check the heat. i'm a bit sorry that i'm to unskilled to dare and understand how to do such things by myself.

svol

Champion
You can check your temps yourself by entering the BIOS at startup (press del before Windows starts) and go to the PC Health (or something like that) menu, there will be the sensor readings, also check your voltage readings, they only may differ about +/- 0,5V.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .