Sign in with
Your question

Why 64bit or 32bit- home or pro

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Windows 7
Last response: in Windows 7
May 20, 2010 1:38:39 AM

I'm building a new computer within a week. I want to know why would I want 64 bit and why would I need pro ?. What would be the real advantage

I play games, surf the web and do work in Microsoft word etc and Adobe photo shop. Please tell me which way to go

More about : 64bit 32bit home pro

a b $ Windows 7
May 20, 2010 4:19:35 AM

Check out this article over @ http://techreport.com.
They explain the major differences in Home Premium and Pro versions. And talk about the reason to use 32bit or 64bit versions.
You can get the cheaper OEM license and get either 32bit or 64bit versions. Or for $5 more you can get the retail Upgrade version that has both the 32bit and 64bit versions included.

For what it's worth, I actually have 32bit and 64bit Win7 installed on the same computer (along with Vista, WinXP and Unbuntu Linux)
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
May 20, 2010 2:26:21 PM

32 bit OS will access just over 3 Gigs of memory, 64 bit OS will access 247 Gigs of memory, if it matters to you, the big difference between Home and Pro/Ultimate, is if you multiple users you can have a different language for each user, in XP if you add a language with a Engllish OS, it changes the desktop language for everyone, but the core language remain English, not so in 7,all the files and tool boxes are in the users language, rather neat really, my wife is Chinese, so she can use the computer and so can I(she doesn't read English, I don't read Chinese)
m
l
Related resources
May 20, 2010 9:09:46 PM

Hello t-dog,

Just a bit of FYI to understand the issues with 32-bit and 64-bit OS upgrades and later options that may or may not be available to you later:
When upgrading from Windows Vista to Windows 7 you must upgrade the version currently installed within Windows Vista to the corresponding version in Windows 7. I.E. Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium; Windows Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional; and Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate. You also cannot upgrade a 32-bit operating system to 64-bit -- to migrate from 32-bit to 64-bit will require a custom install.

Additionally, you will not be able to "upgrade" from a 32-bit version of Windows 7 to 64-bit -- the architecture between the two is too drastically different to allow such a change. To learn more about the differences between a 32-bit operating system and 64-bit please go to the following link: http://bit.ly/2aT3xP

I hope that helps you out!

You can also find lots of information on Windows 7 here in our Springboard website:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/default.aspx

Thanks again,
John M.
Microsoft Windows Client Support
m
l
May 21, 2010 2:19:38 AM

I was going to buy oem windows 7 from newegg which you only get one or the other so would it not be the safe bet to just go 32 bit. If ny unit has 4 gig of ram and the gpu has 1gig what would I really need it for or is there something mainstream that would use all of it. I also was reading some of the links and thank you all. Would Netscape mail and 9.0 work in 64-bit?
m
l
!