Reloading Windows XP on Dell and the Cntrl F11 problem

I have 2 new Dell computers. My son's 4600 works at bootup with Cntrl
F11.

My daughters computer does not. I did not remove the 2 small
partitions Dell installed but I was unaware of the Cntrl F11 feature when I
reloaded Windows XP on my daughters computer because she wanted the C drive
partitioned in 2 partitions. This was done so she could save things on the
2nd partition and not loose it due to reload of Windows XP. I can only
assume by doing so...something important partaining to the Cntrl F11 was
removed. How do I retify this and regain the Cntrl F11 feature of reloading
to Dell's original setup.

Please Advise,

Gary

begin 666 p.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$`0 ("1 $`.P``
`
end
3 answers Last reply
More about reloading windows dell cntrl problem

    I suspect you don't. Just like the utility partition cannot be restored, I
    don't think the image partition can either.

    Try calling Dell and asking for an image CD, but it is a longshot.

    Tom
    "Gary Avrett" <designer852@sbcglobal.net_nospam> wrote in message

    > I have 2 new Dell computers. My son's 4600 works at bootup with Cntrl
    > F11.
    >
    > My daughters computer does not. I did not remove the 2 small
    > partitions Dell installed but I was unaware of the Cntrl F11 feature when
    > I reloaded Windows XP on my daughters computer because she wanted the C
    > drive partitioned in 2 partitions. This was done so she could save things
    > on the 2nd partition and not loose it due to reload of Windows XP. I can
    > only assume by doing so...something important partaining to the Cntrl F11
    > was removed. How do I retify this and regain the Cntrl F11 feature of
    > reloading to Dell's original setup.
    >
    > Please Advise,
    >
    > Gary

    Thanks, I took your advise and called Dell. Your are quite correct. When I
    repartitioned the drive it changed the MBR(master boot record). Once this
    happened it rendered the 3.49gb partition with the original Dell setup
    useless. They recommended I just go ahead and delete the partition and use
    the 3.49gb of space elsewhere...I deleted my 2nd partition so I could remake
    it consisting of the original 12gb and the 3.49gb.
    Thanks for the help,
    Gary

Dell Windows XP Computers