It's a miracle!

manny1224

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I was under the impression that you could not re-install w7 that was pre-installed (on hd of an acer desktop) on hd using a new mobo. Well, while installing a heatsink i did not secure my cpu correctly and blew out my cpu and mobo. I decided to salvage the remaining parts ( hd, ram, graphics card , ect.) and start a new build. Anyway, after putting it together i booted the computer up with the hd from my acer desktop. After it attempted to repair itself , i selected the full recovery option. Now keeping in mind that this copy of w7 had been already installed on a different mobo, i did not expect this to work. But, work it did! This went against everything i had read. I do not know if the fact that the chipset were in the same class (1st installed on foxconn 780g then on an asus 785g ) had anything to do with it (my "youngster" status is well deserved) but i am not going to look at a gift horse in the mouth. The other part of this i wanted to mention was that on the perfomance index it showed that i now had 3 days to activate my copy of windows. When i entered the key that was on the side of the case it said it was not valid and gave me the option of buying a new one or attempting to activate it over the phone. So, i called the 800 # and (automated) and followed the prompts. On my screen i saw 9 sets of #'s and was prompted to read them out loud. after conferming these #'s, i was ask on how many computers had this copy of w7 been installed on. After that,i was given a new set of #'s to enter into corrosponding boxes. And wala! My w7 was fully activated. I know there was supposed to be a question in here somewere , but i thought that this was info that might help someone. Now for the ?. Everything is running well except for a couple oh hiccups. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i might be able to smooth things out. Any info will be appreciated.

Jonmor68

Distinguished
Glad you got activated OK, sometimes you just need to try it and see.

"Everything is running well except for a couple oh hiccups. Does anyone have any suggestions on how i might be able to smooth things out. Any info will be appreciated."

It would help if we knew what these hicccups were.

manny1224

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Sorry, i guess specifics would help. Had trouble installing an older game and a couple of diagnostic utilities (one for cpu and the other for the gpu). The game would ask to reboot to finish installing. After rebooting, it would go into repair o.s. mode and the game would not load. As far as the utilities, they would just not load after installing. I would get "error" messages and "abnormal program termenation". Like i said, any info would be appreciated. thanks.