AMD doesn't work with EverQuest

vader1882

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2001
my brother plays everquest all the time on his AMD Athlon 600. in fact he was playing last night when I got home.

:cool: <font color=orange> intel amd the ultimate deathmatch</font color=orange>

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
>my brother plays everquest all the time...AMD Athlon 600.

AMD UPDATE, DECEMBER 9, 2001:

<i>"Hello all,

For those not up to speed on the issue, users of K6, K6/2, and some Athlon processors are
crashing when attempting to enter Shadowhaven.

Just wanted to let you know that we're still working on this issue. We've acquired several
systems with this problem from EQ players in the area and are close to a solution. We think
that the problem has to do with <b>floating-point calculations</b> and some issues that were
present in the K6 and early Athlon lines. We'll be sure to keep you informed as we have
more information.

Thank you for your continued patience.

- Gordon"</i>

the fact that the game makers know the issues revolving around the Athlon platform is painfully clear, nice attempt at damage control.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

FatBurger

Illustrious
Is this the same <A HREF="http://www.gordonfamily.com" target="_new">Gordon</A> that I think it is?

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
K6's and K6-2's not working well don't surprise me. I had friends who never liked the performance they got from either chip. Early Athlons having problems surprise me somewhat, but apparently its only early, pre-Thunderbird chips.

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
melty really likes ressurecting those old well known, beaten to death issues doesnt he?

and yes... EQ suck more than my 80mm delta. :)

AMD - Anti Monopoly Devices
AMD - At Massive Discounts!

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
most likely.
of those,
many, if not most, will be modern athlons/durons which were not prone to that particular bug.

of those that were, according to the article only a small number of chips actually sported the defect.

so the numbers affected will be pretty small.

bah.
give me serious sam, red faction and BG2 anyday :)

AMD - Anti Monopoly Devices
AMD - At Massive Discounts!

SerArthurDayne

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001
Is this Shadowhaven place a part of a new expansion of the game or something? Cause I know my old roommate used to play Everquest(still does to my knowledge), on a K6-2 450 and never had a problem...

"Laziness is a talent to be cultivated like any other" - Walter Slovotsky