k7vza crashing amds

G

to demonstrate the economics of building your own, for two
members of my comp lit class i purchased two k7vza motherboard combos, one with athlon tbird 1 ghz and another with duron 900 mhz

we successfully put together the athlon saturday night, then i noticed the speed on bios read 750 mhz for the athlon. today i called the merchant and asked shouldn't i have received the 1 ghz. he replied that i should talk to their techs about overclocking! well, i didn't want to introduce my students or even myself yet to overclocking this over heated processor and i felt i wasn't dealt fair. am i right? should i ask for an exchange for a product advertised (on line) as 1 ghz but turned out to be 750mhz?

well anyway, i took the dudes advice and jumped the k7vza to
133 (from 100) and you know, all hell broke out. first the monitor didn't come on, i thought it was my video card (from my busted athlon 1.2 purchased this summer, a compaq!); but i placed the card in one of my lab computers (pentium iii)and it worked fine.

did the motherboard crash? i am not sure. but apparently 133 mhz does not fair well on the k7vza (as i have read in reviews!) any suggestions here would be appreciated.

gracias etabu

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
It sounds a lot like your CPU is specced for a 133MHz bus, but something else in the system can't handle it.

What brand/model/wattage power supply are you using? What case? What are your CPU temps? What brand/type RAM?

Gut instinct tells me you got a crappy motherboard. IIRC, ECS is now a division of PCChips, and both brands are absolute trash. ECS made a name for itself by being the first (and currently only?) company to release a SiS735 motherboard, the ECS K7S5A. People started out with a lot of hope for that motherboard, then the DOA/trouble reports started rolling in.

Whatever setup you go with, if you skimp on the motherboard, you will have problems.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

Ed_Phoon

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There's another, Leadtek 7350KDA it is.
No information provided in their website(suck)
Review <A HREF="http://www.vr-zone.com/reviews/Leadtek/7350KDA-OC/" target="_new">here</A>(slow website).

G

Did you adjusted the PCI and AGP bus dividers to match 133MHz FSB? You should see that setting in BIOS or on the motherboard with jumpers.

Usually people forget about this setting after they increase the FSB.

Don't forget, PCI frequency must be 33MHz and AGP 66MHz. So, 133FSB requires 1/4 PCI divider and 1/2 AGP divider.

For 100MHz these values are 1/3 and 2/3 respectively.

<font color=blue>Get a T-Bird...
Impressive CPU + House heater in one package. What do you need more?</font color=blue>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
That motherboard is [-peep-], plain and simple.

I got 4 doa boards of that brand/model and finally said screw it, return the board and get a real motherboard.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

just to let everyone know, the k7vzas are up and running fine! the video cards were not properly seated (the video
beeper did rang in both the duron and and athlon). now we will begin testing system stability. btw the seller is
www.accubyte.com, excellent. etabu