Is there anybody can help me?

G

I m a freshguy from uk...now im going to buy a new system...
for processor, which one should i choose? AMD or Intel?
if i wanna spend 200pounds only? thx .

G

I'm gonna risk this - you've gotta be a plant sent to start a flame war - but then again you could be legit - Go AMD pal. Stable, good VFM, and reliable. Just don't overheat them so use a good cooler and you'll have hours of processing fun.

<font color=purple><b>Techie2001</font color=purple></b>
<i>(Forum Techie)</i>
If it ain't broke, Don't fix it.

G

Hey - fill in you profile. Lets have a laugh.

Where in the UK are you from - Cos I live in UK too.

Cat, cat.... I've heard that name before.
Cat = Pussy = Female??????

Yes or no.

<i>(Forum Techie)</i>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Gonna agree with techie here, amd will take you much further with your hard earned dollar...err pound, and with the cash you save on a cpu you can get better parts to fill out the deal.

Dont believe fugger, amdmeltdown, or intel_inside if they try to feed you a load of bull about amd having incompatability or instability, the only thing instable are their minds.

Also you dont need fancy heatsinks if you dont plan to overclock, just the retail heatsink and fan(which comes with the processor when you get the retail package with the 3 year warrantee) and a casefan(or not depending on if your case is large or cramped) and you will be good to go.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

G

how about u? unfortunately, i m a guy~ hahaha....didn`t u read? "i m a freshGUY from uk~ " anyway....it`s a good idea to choose AMD systems...it is seems raising up day by day..
i like it too!

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Thats fine, let meltdumbass reply, and the oppinions of dozens of informed educated computer users will be turned against him and not a sane person on earth will believe a single word out of his mouth.

pr497

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
ditto...get an athlon xp.
current P4 performance against the xp is udderly dissapointing in my opinion.
btw...dont discourage FUGGER and amd_meltdown from posting on this forum, i wanna see what thay have to say, unless they're going to say the same old crap again...

I don't claim to know anything about everything, I just tell people what I know.
-PSB

G

Hay this isn't yahoo chat - I'm not looking for a date on here. Anyway'z I'm a guy. I do tech support on phone lines in the NW area of England. You'll find the majority of the poeple on this forum are AMD pro. There is nothing wrong with Intel don't get me wrong they make a very good chip but if you want the VFM ratings and the stability then go for the AMD athlon XP. Even the Athlon is still a competitve chip.

<i>(Forum Techie)</i>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
dont discourage FUGGER and amd_meltdown from posting on this forum, i wanna see what thay have to say, unless they're going to say the same old crap again...

Once in a blue moon fugger says something both origional and helpful(very rarely) but meltdown has NEVER said an origional thing in the nearly 10 months I have been a member of this forum, everyday he says the same bs fud and everyday everyone makes him look like a retard.

When will he just give it up and go home.

to give you an idea here of pricing

GIGABYTE GA-7DXR Motherboard Specs BUNDLE W/ COOLING FAN & (AMD ATHLON XP 1600+; KINGSTON 256MB NON-ECC PC2100; ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE) $321.00

thats in american dollars... convert to pounds split it in half (divide by 2)

something equivalent as far as performance from intel.

ABIT TH7II-R Motherboard Specs BUNDLE W/ RETAILED (INTEL PENTIUM 4 1.6G - 478; 256MB NON-ECC RDRAM X 2; ASSEMBLE/TEST BUNDLE) $570.00

split that in half and thats your pounds.

intel is almost double, not quite but almost.

so there you go.. not saying to get those motherboards but right now the Gigabyte board for athlon and the abit board for intel i believe are the top? They are both from the same vendor. It's a pretty fair comparison almost. you can never get exact...

not sure as far as recently since new mobos are released all the time. but that should give you an idea for pricing and what to expect.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
I'll agree to that. Fugger just last week put some url's with his post to try to support it. They were 11 months old but articles nontheless. So there are my two cents.

By the way, Steven Wright once said, "Why is it a penny for your thought but you have to put you two cents in? Somebody's making a penny."

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
Gigabyte at the top of the market? Hardly. The Asus KT266a is the current fastest motherboard, the Abit KR7a-RAID (KT266a) is nice, too.
When top-tier mobo makers bring out the SiS735, I will rejoice :)

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

do you own a gigabyte board? i have one... really nice. know happens with a bad flash on your bios? or a virus? :)
gotta love dual bios, saved my board at work already! (have the ga-bx2000).

anyway the point was the pricing not the boards used. if you forget the amd760(i forget the number now) is on that board along with the kg7 and does very good. just you get more with your money with the ga-7dxr and thats a fact.
gigabyte is the top 5 in the world. jsyk. ask my boss about epox he was like (who the fu'ck are they?) or asus or abit... gigabyte is well known!

btw i hate VIA chipsets! I will try very hard to stay far away from them as much as possible. yes the 7dxr is a hybrid ... like i said trying very hard to stay far away as possible. :)

post reaction reply:
I'm glad you had no problems with them... good for you ...

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
BTW: UK Pound vs US Dollar is trading at 1.436 Dollars per Pound. 11:20AM Tuesday Dec.11 2001 EST.

<b>All for one and one for all...and 3 for 5! - Curly - The Three Stooges</b> :lol:

FatBurger

Illustrious
You said that the Gigabyte board with the AMD 761 chipset is at the top of the market. Let's think about that.
Fastest? Definitely not
Most stable? It's stable, but probably not the MOST stable.
Most features? Not at all

So it's the top of the market because...

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

got any proof? let me see it? otherwise you got nothing to backup what you say.

here are the features listed for the ga-7dxr:
dual BIOS,
onboard audio (great for backup),
onboard promise RAID controller,
hardware dip switch settings - best for overclocking,
voltage regulator for:
-cpu,
-RAM,
-AGP Pro slot
AGP Pro
AGP Pro slot has a 12V connector built on the board so you can run virtually any videocard on the market.
CNR slot (although useless for me)
@BIOS - flash your bios from windows. It checks online for the latest flash and installs it for you. No need to worry about a bad flash. If there was who cares you have dual BIOS!
EZtune - overclock your computer using this software. it can find the optimal setting to overclock your computer.
active cooling fan on chipset.

shall i go on? i can find more... i was looking at the manual and there are tons of things to setup and i'm just like ahh screw it i'll just use the default settings.

i can back it up. just go to the gigabyte site and see it for yourself.

and not one thing is said to be bad about this board. (besides back then the pricing was a bit high). Read the reviews also. I've read tons of them before i bought the board. Pretty consistent when all of them say "gigabyte the top 5 motherboard producer in the world".

show me proof that says otherwise.

G

Its a gigabyte.

<i>(Forum Techie)</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
You could compare it to the Thunder K7 of course, but that's kind of unfair.

I'll do some digging, although you could be right about the features.

lol sorry wrong post believe it or not ... had two open at the same time.. anyway ...

ya the board is really nice. Loaded with features i have no clue what some do.

You can also change the memory timings in the BIOS!

so ya can't hate gigabyte if you never owned a board lol. i can se it if you had one and had nothing but problems with it? unless you have i don't know. I've never had a problem and i never had a problem with the one i use at work *shrugs*.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 12/11/01 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

FatBurger

Illustrious
That was possibly the most random post I've ever seen.

After looking around, it appears that the Gigabyte with the AMD 761/ Via 686b does have to most (hardware) features. But it's still beat in performance and stability.

eh i try!

well of course. there are always better mobo's out. the ones out now will be outclassed and out performed by the next set of mobo's just like the last set (abit KG7 and GA-7DXR). *shrugs*

*looking at different mobo's*

there really isn't anything out there that is new. you got the AMD760 or the KT266A ... given i don't like via thats all that is left is the AMD760. So my board isn't that old... yet. SIS can go F' themselves lol. I have yet to see nforce mobo's out in the market. So i would continue and say my board (the AMD760) is one of the most stable and performing mobo's out there. I don't see how the via chipsets can be labeled as stable? and nforce isn't out yet as far as i can see in the market. And SIS is pure crap. (just feel like saying SIS is pure crap, don't get offended and flame now, just picken on the little guy).

Everytime i look on here someone is having a problem with a via chipset. rather it be sb live! or usb for example.
(hint my dad is having USB problems he has a KT133A)

FatBurger

Illustrious
but right now the Gigabyte board for athlon and the abit board for intel i believe are the top?

That's no longer true, are you accepting that? Just want to make sure.

Why do you jump all over me because you think I'm posting something without being able to back it up and then you say "And SIS is pure crap. (just feel like saying SIS is pure crap, don't get offended and flame now, just picken on the little guy)."

The SiS735 is a very good chipset that is currently unsupported by good motherboard makers. I suggest you go learn what you're talking about before making statements like that. The SiS645 is looking just as good, but it's too early to tell.

Via is unstable? You mention Live and USB problems. Guess what? You have the same southbridge as your dad's KT133a. Congratulations, you have the potential for the exact same problem.

nForce not out? MSI and Asus both have boards on Pricewatch. Girish (I think) also mentioned that the Gigabyte was available in India.

So that makes three chipsets that are faster and (so far) more stable than what you have. Satisfied?

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Actually burger, those problems only come up on via northbridge AND southbridge systems, with an amd 760 northbridge the via southbridge issue dissapears.(they use that particular southbridge on many systems even some intel ones).