Sign in with
Your question

HELP! Failed driver install: my Computer has become sentient

Last response: in Windows 7
February 11, 2013 10:51:07 PM

My System Specs:

GPU: Nvidia GTX 295
*I check on the current driver version using dxdiag*

So everytime I try to install the latest NVIDIA driver (310.90, Win7 x64 International) it fails, but about that later. To begin with, it asks me to install it in the C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\ directory, so I let it do that.

Once the installation fails, it tries to download and install another driver (306.97) from the internet secretly, without even asking me. I can monitor this happening on a small icon the taskbar.

Before I repeat the installation process, I of course delete the 310.90 folder in the Nvidia Display Driver folder since the driver setup file anyway asks to export files there before it starts.

But what I have noticed, is that I am losing 200 MB with EVERY installation attempt because my computer has become sentient and is downloading the driver from the net and I dont know how I can recover this space! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!
February 11, 2013 11:04:00 PM

Are you getting this driver from Nvidia, or another site like drivers. com?

First, go to control panel/ programs and completely de-instal all Nvidea drivers. Then get into windows explorer and completely erase everything in the old directory.

Then go here: http://www.geforce.com/drivers and auto detect your card and instal the software.
February 11, 2013 11:30:28 PM

I don't do that automatic driver detection mumbo jumbo. I'm getting it from Nvidia's website directly (type Nvidia into google and click the first link).

I go to Geforce > 200 series > 295 > Windows 7 64-bit > English (UK)

I can deinstall the current Nvidia driver, but can never fully deinstall all Nvidia drivers because the moment I complete the former process, my computer automatically rolls back to an old Nvidia driver (aero effect goes gray, then comes back up again) and then tells me to restart my comp, and when I do, an older Nvidia driver is installed (306.97). I really don't know where it gets this because there is no folder called 306.97 in my Display Driver folder in the Nvidia Folder in C drive.

The only way to prevent this is unplug my machine from the internet.
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 11:35:53 PM

Sir Arun said:
I don't do that automatic driver detection mumbo jumbo. I'm getting it from Nvidia's website directly (type Nvidia into google and click the first link).

I go to Geforce > 200 series > 295 > Windows 7 > English (UK)

I can deinstall the current Nvidia driver, but can never fully deinstall all Nvidia drivers because the moment I complete the former process, my computer automatically rolls back to an old Nvidia driver (aero effect goes gray, then comes back up again) and then tells me to restart my comp, and when I do, that an old Nvidia driver is installed (136.97)

The only way to prevent this is unplug my machine from the internet.

I would recommend running either MalwareBytes Anti-Malware or Super Anti-Spyware or even both.

I don't think that it's the case but could be something making it appear to go online. Eliminate any potentials by running this and we will go from there.

February 11, 2013 11:44:32 PM

I've been a Malwarebytes user for years. Did a quick scan of the C drive right now. No infections found.
February 11, 2013 11:47:58 PM

Could it be that 136.97 comes loaded as the standard Windows driver for that card?
a b $ Windows 7
February 11, 2013 11:49:24 PM

What happens if you uninstall the drivers while the PC is offline?
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2013 12:02:48 AM

house70 said:
I void warranties.

That must be awfully scratchy.
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2013 10:55:10 AM

WyomingKnott said:
That must be awfully scratchy.

LOL
April 11, 2013 3:41:57 PM

New update here guys, it seems I found the answer to my problem: my registry is fu**ed beyond measure :(  Lots of keys I cannot access due to errors. And the Nvidia ones are affected too.

Is there any way short of doing a clean windows reinstall that can restore my registry? (Unfortunately, I havent done periodic backups of my registry with regedit and my system's oldest backup is only 2 days ago lol, I disabled shadow copying or whatever it is called to free disk space a loooong time ago)

I heard that there is a possibility of restoring Windows 7 if you have the DVD of the OS lying around, and it can essentially reinstall Windows on your system without doing a clean reinstall...will that fix a damaged registry by replacing the damaged values with clean ones from the disc?

For day-to-day activities my computer is working absolutely fine, no viruses, only a couple programs are affected (nvidia driver updating, quicktime player, opening .jar (java) files etc.)
a b $ Windows 7
April 11, 2013 6:51:07 PM

If I understand what you are saying it's a Repair install. Good for missing drivers or other files, not good at cleaning registries.
April 12, 2013 3:45:12 AM

yeah, repair install is what I had in mind. So is there no way of fixing the registry? There are craploads of registry cleaners on the internet, but none of them can actually fix anything, only mess with the registry even more :/ 
a b $ Windows 7
April 12, 2013 4:30:15 AM

At this point I would just backup whatever files are important, then I would do a clean install. Beware of viruses that can reside on HDD after a format, I would do a drive wipe first then a clean install.
!