House Rules for Parent DMs

I've been playing and DMing D&D for years, and I have a
couple of sons who are quite interested in playing. My
boys are 9 and 7, and have seen the LOTR movies.

I have been thinking about running a fun little campaign
for them. I'm thinking very basic stuff - kill the
orcs, solve some riddles, get some treasure. Just
start with fighters or barbarians... you know, something
easy.

I figure I would gloss over a lot of the more complicated
rules, and try to keep things very straight forward. No
shades of grey morality stuff... Bad guys are bad, good
guys are good.

For anyone who has done this, what worked well, and what
didn't? Did you have to set limits on how much time they
spent with the game?

What positive benefits did playing have on your child?
22 answers Last reply
More about house rules parent

    "decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > I've been playing and DMing D&D for years, and I have a
    > couple of sons who are quite interested in playing. My
    > boys are 9 and 7, and have seen the LOTR movies.

    I just got mine involved, 10 and 7.

    > I have been thinking about running a fun little campaign
    > for them. I'm thinking very basic stuff - kill the
    > orcs, solve some riddles, get some treasure. Just
    > start with fighters or barbarians... you know, something
    > easy.
    >
    > I figure I would gloss over a lot of the more complicated
    > rules, and try to keep things very straight forward. No
    > shades of grey morality stuff... Bad guys are bad, good
    > guys are good.

    I am starting them out as recruits in the King's standing army.
    It gives me a chance to introduce the rules and concepts as
    military training. Different fighting concepts such as grappling,
    total defense, tripping, flanking and such is much easier to
    explain if you run them through an example. Every time they
    are running "weapon drills" the NPC they face uses the new
    trick on them. It seems to stick with them if they have fallen
    to the trick.

    > For anyone who has done this, what worked well, and what
    > didn't? Did you have to set limits on how much time they
    > spent with the game?

    They start out as either a Fighter or a Rogue. I am forcing them
    to be human, but that is more for my storyline than anything else.
    Time limits have been about 2 hours a session. It will grow when
    they actually go on missions (adventures). The military/army theme
    means I can actually have them perform seemingly unrelated missions
    and they don't have to hold to any continuity. Their first big mission
    will be a scout only mission. The two of them will be tasked to go
    out and scout an Orc warband. They are to report numbers and
    equipment. In truth, it is a unit from the King's army out on patrol.
    But the characters don't know it! hehee

    > What positive benefits did playing have on your child?
    My youngest found it easier to read if he wasn't reading
    from a book. Hehe little did he know, the words he read
    from the "Players Handbook" were more difficult to read
    than the ones from his "Little Bear" book. He got a real
    good grasp of numbers from the game too. My oldest gets
    an out for all the "junk running through his head" and gets
    a chance to play-act. He's a real ham, but gets too scared
    to act. But in game, he plays role.

    Shawn Roske wrote:
    > Willie wrote:
    > > "decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > >>I've been playing and DMing D&D for years, and I have a
    > >>couple of sons who are quite interested in playing. My
    > >>boys are 9 and 7, and have seen the LOTR movies.
    > >>I have been thinking about running a fun little campaign
    > >>for them. Just
    > >>start with fighters or barbarians... you know, something
    > >>easy.
    > >
    > > I am starting them out as recruits in the King's standing army.
    > > It gives me a chance to introduce the rules and concepts as
    > > military training. Different fighting concepts such as grappling,
    > > total defense, tripping, flanking and such is much easier to
    > > explain if you run them through an example. Every time they
    > > are running "weapon drills" the NPC they face uses the new
    > > trick on them.

    Shawn, that's brilliant! Consider it nabbed for future use.
    Extra bonus, they can get XP for their training, so they could be
    2nd/3rd level when they do go out - increases their likelihood of
    survival quite a bit, and they can learn a bit about leveling up.

    Being somewhat new to 3.0/3.5 myself and only getting to play once a
    month or less, I'd been adding new foes with special fortes each
    session, to introduce myself and players to special attacks (last time,
    it was some undead - don't recall the name offhand- that had does a
    grapple attack, before that, the elite goblin guard was equipped with
    halberds and did trip attacks, etc)

    > >>For anyone who has done this, what worked well, and what
    > >>didn't? Did you have to set limits on how much time they
    > >>spent with the game?
    > >
    > > They start out as either a Fighter or a Rogue.
    > > Time limits have been about 2 hours a session.

    Sounds good; though Paladin, Barbarian, and Ranger aren't horribly
    complex concepts many kids. 2 hours is about right. One mission I set
    for a two player group that had no clerics was to escort two low level
    clerics who were setting up a church in a small town. You can do a lot
    with this basic adventure; introduce NPCs, recurring villians, etc. and
    between two clerics, you have adequate healing.

    > There is a caution. In general, gaming culture is not very healthy.
    > There is a large amount of negativity, very poor self-images and
    > self-esteem, and bad social habits rampant in gaming culture. We
    would
    > not want to pass on these worst to our kids, only the best. We want
    > them to be ten times our better.

    Yes! And spend lots of time doing other father/son activities, provide
    them with caveats as to becoming too attached to a character, too
    immersed in a game, how poorly some gamers behave, etc.

    Willie wrote:
    > "decalod85" <decalod85@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>I've been playing and DMing D&D for years, and I have a
    >>couple of sons who are quite interested in playing. My
    >>boys are 9 and 7, and have seen the LOTR movies.
    >

    > I just got mine involved, 10 and 7.
    >

    >>I have been thinking about running a fun little campaign
    >>for them. I'm thinking very basic stuff - kill the
    >>orcs, solve some riddles, get some treasure. Just
    >>start with fighters or barbarians... you know, something
    >>easy.
    >>
    >>I figure I would gloss over a lot of the more complicated
    >>rules, and try to keep things very straight forward. No
    >>shades of grey morality stuff... Bad guys are bad, good
    >>guys are good.
    >

    > I am starting them out as recruits in the King's standing army.
    > It gives me a chance to introduce the rules and concepts as
    > military training. Different fighting concepts such as grappling,
    > total defense, tripping, flanking and such is much easier to
    > explain if you run them through an example. Every time they
    > are running "weapon drills" the NPC they face uses the new
    > trick on them. It seems to stick with them if they have fallen
    > to the trick.
    >

    >>For anyone who has done this, what worked well, and what
    >>didn't? Did you have to set limits on how much time they
    >>spent with the game?
    >

    > They start out as either a Fighter or a Rogue. I am forcing them
    > to be human, but that is more for my storyline than anything else.
    > Time limits have been about 2 hours a session. It will grow when
    > they actually go on missions (adventures). The military/army theme
    > means I can actually have them perform seemingly unrelated missions
    > and they don't have to hold to any continuity. Their first big mission
    > will be a scout only mission. The two of them will be tasked to go
    > out and scout an Orc warband. They are to report numbers and
    > equipment. In truth, it is a unit from the King's army out on patrol.
    > But the characters don't know it! hehee
    >

    >>What positive benefits did playing have on your child?
    >
    > My youngest found it easier to read if he wasn't reading
    > from a book. Hehe little did he know, the words he read
    > from the "Players Handbook" were more difficult to read
    > than the ones from his "Little Bear" book. He got a real
    > good grasp of numbers from the game too. My oldest gets
    > an out for all the "junk running through his head" and gets
    > a chance to play-act. He's a real ham, but gets too scared
    > to act. But in game, he plays role.

    I think it is great both of you are playing with your kids. RPGs have
    the potential for tremendous positive impact on children. I think
    especially for boys, since we men need technical means to get at all
    aspects of ourself, like rituals, rites of passage, and so on. Women
    have these things more naturally-- not to take the conversion away from
    parenting. There is a difference between the sexes, leave it at that.

    So, there is a potential to explore any theme imaginable, any questions
    the kids might have about themselves and the universe. More, think
    about how they'll be able to remember gaming with their dads and all the
    cool adventures and challenges overcome, the structures of RPGs allow
    for intense and safe discovery of many things.

    There is a caution. In general, gaming culture is not very healthy.
    There is a large amount of negativity, very poor self-images and
    self-esteem, and bad social habits rampant in gaming culture. We would
    not want to pass on these worst to our kids, only the best. We want
    them to be ten times our better.

    I look forward to gaming with my son in a year or two, he's 7 and I
    think too young for most of the violent themes. He's still a disney
    kind of guy at this point, talking animals and happy things. He's
    curious about the complexities of life, but I would not introduce him to
    orcs until he's ready.

    I sat in with some kids at a friend's house, and some of the older boys
    rented Underworld. Youngest of the group was 8, and though he's quite a
    mature 8 year old, he had trouble understanding who were the good guys
    and who were the bad guys. He didn't seem harmed by the violence of the
    movie, he's experienced worse in his video games to be sure. He
    understood that there does not exist vampires and werewolves. Though he
    did ask me a couple times about the possbility. I reassured him that
    concretely there are no such creatures. (Although my ex-wife has proved
    to me that vampires do exist.)

    Jean Piaget's levels of cognitive growth seem applicable here. As
    children, we interpret and experience the world very concretely. We
    need adults around to help us understand what is going on, to pre-digest
    the things we don't and feed it to us in palatable ways. Even horrible
    things like war and poverty can be explained to children in ways they
    can understand. Even a movie like Underworld can be consumed by young
    folk if helped to get to the central themes of betrayal and how truth
    can be twisted by bigotry and hate (what Underworld was all about).

    RPGs have this potential, but without adult guidance of some kind the
    kids are left to explore on their own. Its fine for them to play, but
    if adults are available to help. We are obliged to do so are we not?

    Shawn Roske wrote:
    <snip>
    > There is a caution. In general, gaming culture is not very healthy.
    > There is a large amount of negativity, very poor self-images and
    > self-esteem, and bad social habits rampant in gaming culture. We would
    > not want to pass on these worst to our kids, only the best. We want
    > them to be ten times our better.

    Wow, we have very different experiences. Granted, I've met gamers with
    no social skills, no self-esteem, etc, but not any more frequently than
    I've met non-gamers with the same afflictions. With one exception (a
    group we didn't stay with long) all of our gamers are people from whom
    our son could learn many things. They're an awesome bunch.

    The only universal gamer trait I've ever noticed is creativity.

    > I look forward to gaming with my son in a year or two, he's 7 and I
    > think too young for most of the violent themes. He's still a disney
    > kind of guy at this point, talking animals and happy things. He's
    > curious about the complexities of life, but I would not introduce him to
    > orcs until he's ready.
    <snip>

    Who says that the game has to be combat-oriented? Why not run a game of
    political intrigue, or a mystery "whodunit" type of campaign? Some
    interesting non-violent campaign ideas off the top of my head are:

    A "Romeo and Juliet" type of scenario, where the PC(s) is/are the
    friends and confidants of both parties, sneaking back and forth between
    two kingdoms delivering secret messages to the seperated lovers.

    A detective story: Someone stole a dwarven Book of Grudges. The dwarves
    assume it was the humans in the next settlement who were upset about the
    dwarves moving their trade route farther from the settlement (which
    isn't good for the humans' economy). The humans are clueless, and don't
    even know what a dwarven Book of Grudges is. In order to avert a war,
    the PC(s) must figure out who really stole the book and prove it. (It
    was probably either a young theif trying to prove himself to the
    thieves' guild he wished to join, or a Dwarf with a grudge against the
    humans who wished to frame them for the theft.)

    A classic quest: The flora and fauna of <insert forest here> are
    suffering from a devastating magical disease. The disease also effects
    the druids of the forest, leaving them unable to seak out a cure
    themselves. The PC(s) must seek out the cure (or figure out what it is
    and then find it) and return before the druids and their forest are dead.

    Some political intrigue: The PCs are hired on as messengers or guards to
    an envoy from <insert home nation here> to <insert some exotic foriegn
    culture here>. Unfortunately, when the party presents itself before the
    foreign court, the host nation sees some facet of the PCs, perhaps a
    mode of dress differing from the rest of the delegation or something
    like that, and assumes that one or all of the PCs is/are the leadership
    of the diplomatic envoy, refusing to speak to anyone else. The PCs must
    now navigate perilous political terrain and manage to secure a trade
    agreement with <exotic culture> without offending anyone, offering too
    many concessions by their home nation, or inadvertantly starting a war.
    Oh, and did I mention that a member of the PCs' party will be doling
    out bad advice in the hope of seeing the PCs fail? Either the
    malefactor doesn't want the trade agreement to go through because he/she
    is xenophobic, or has financial interest in keeping it from happening,
    or he/she feels slighted by the PCs elevated role in this endeavor.

    Susan

    decalod85 wrote:
    <snip>

    > For anyone who has done this, what worked well, and what
    > didn't? Did you have to set limits on how much time they
    > spent with the game?

    My son is a little young to play D&D (he's 2) but he does like to roll
    dice for Mommy and Daddy, and we're working on identifying the numbers. :)

    That said, I've run several RPGs for all-kid groups, and one far adults
    with one small child in the mix.

    For integrating a small (in this case 4yo) child into a grown-up D&D
    game, an idea a friend of mine had worked extremely well: let the kid
    play someone's familiar. This gives the kid a speaking character with a
    well-defined role in the party, but with less game mechanics to worry
    about.

    For running an all-kid game, I really like Willie's idea for using
    militia training to introduce combat mechanics, I'll have to try that.
    :) I can also tell you that linking plot lines to stories kids are
    familiar with is a great way to keep them interested. For example when
    running a White Wolf Mage (sanitized) campaign for some kids I babysat
    in college, I had a self-proclaimed Goblin King (former technocracy who
    did some creature experimentation and got a big ego) steal one of the
    PC's ward (baby brother) and had them run through a magical maze to get
    him back. Then we watched the movie Labrynth, and they got a real kick
    out of seeing some of the characters they'd encountered come to life.

    > What positive benefits did playing have on your child?

    Tabletop RPGs, when done right, encourage:

    ....reading
    ....math skills
    ....language skills
    ....taking turns
    ....recognizing cause and effect relationships
    ....social skills
    ....goal-setting
    ....acting
    ....creativity
    ....critical thinking (problem solving)
    ....and a little psychology.

    Also, it provides an easy, safe venue to talk about all sorts of things.

    Have fun!

    Susan

    Shawn Roske wrote:
    > (Although my ex-wife has proved to me that vampires do exist.)

    .... or at least really big two legged leeches?

    MadKaugh

    illecebra wrote:
    > Shawn Roske wrote:
    > <snip>
    >
    >>There is a caution. In general, gaming culture is not very healthy.
    >>There is a large amount of negativity, very poor self-images and
    >>self-esteem, and bad social habits rampant in gaming culture. We would
    >>not want to pass on these worst to our kids, only the best. We want
    >>them to be ten times our better.
    >

    > Wow, we have very different experiences. Granted, I've met gamers with
    > no social skills, no self-esteem, etc, but not any more frequently than
    > I've met non-gamers with the same afflictions. With one exception (a
    > group we didn't stay with long) all of our gamers are people from whom
    > our son could learn many things. They're an awesome bunch.

    I agree that there are admirable gamers in the world. Perhaps my
    experience is one that: the lights in the darkness are that much
    brighter for the darkness is deep.

    > The only universal gamer trait I've ever noticed is creativity.

    Agreed.

    >>I look forward to gaming with my son in a year or two, he's 7 and I
    >>think too young for most of the violent themes. He's still a disney
    >>kind of guy at this point, talking animals and happy things. He's
    >>curious about the complexities of life, but I would not introduce him to
    >>orcs until he's ready.
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Who says that the game has to be combat-oriented? Why not run a game of
    > political intrigue, or a mystery "whodunit" type of campaign? Some
    > interesting non-violent campaign ideas off the top of my head are:

    Below are some great ideas. I am glad you contributed to this thead.
    Your use of RPGs with children is precisely how I see its most positive
    applications.

    Shawn Roske wrote:
    <snip>
    > Below are some great ideas. I am glad you contributed to this thead.
    > Your use of RPGs with children is precisely how I see its most positive
    > applications.
    <snip>

    Thanks, Shawn :)

    Susan

    illecebra <vyyrproenROT13@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >My son is a little young to play D&D (he's 2) but he does like to roll
    >dice for Mommy and Daddy, and we're working on identifying the numbers. :)

    Completely off the subject, but when I was about 2 or 3, my parents were
    playing mah-jongg, and I was just fresh from learning to read some Chinese
    characters (especially ones on mah-jongg tiles).

    "Daddy! You have two /center/s," I announced in Chinese.

    My dad's opponents were appreciative of the tip... :)

    Donald

    Shawn Roske wrote:

    > There is a caution. In general, gaming culture is not very healthy.
    > There is a large amount of negativity, very poor self-images and
    > self-esteem, and bad social habits rampant in gaming culture. We
    would
    > not want to pass on these worst to our kids, only the best. We want
    > them to be ten times our better.

    I tend to attribute a lot of those sorts of problems to
    obsessiveness over one thing, and the complete disregard
    for the rest of life.

    Gaming culture (in America at least) is just a microcosm
    of our society as a whole. You can find plenty of obsessed
    baseball fans if you look. People don't understand that the
    whole "if some is good, more is better" philosphy is a road
    to ruin...

    My kids are very well rounded, with multiple sports, music,
    school, friends. They go with me to the gun club, and with
    their mother to charity walk-a-thons and church.

    I'm not worried about them becoming obsessed with D&D, I'm
    worried about finding time in their schedule to play a game.

    In article <Zamge.30066$B82.776757@news20.bellglobal.com>,
    Shawn Roske <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    > There is a caution. In general, gaming culture is not very healthy.
    > There is a large amount of negativity, very poor self-images and
    > self-esteem, and bad social habits rampant in gaming culture. We would
    > not want to pass on these worst to our kids, only the best. We want
    > them to be ten times our better.

    I can't speak about the Canadian roleplaying scene, but while there are
    some sad specimens in the Aussie scene by and large most of the gamers
    I've met have been decent people. I suspect any activity that has
    minimal entry requirements is going to attract some of the people you
    are thinking of. Stick to golf if you only want to meet "successful"
    people.

    > I look forward to gaming with my son in a year or two, he's 7 and I
    > think too young for most of the violent themes. He's still a disney
    > kind of guy at this point, talking animals and happy things. He's
    > curious about the complexities of life, but I would not introduce him to
    > orcs until he's ready.

    Kids vary. I enjoyed having The Lord of the Rings read to me when I was
    around five or six, and I was reading things like The Moon of Gomrath
    and The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was seven or eight. As
    best I can recall, anyway. At that age a mortal sword fight with a wolf
    or a goblin seemed pretty damn cool to me. As long as the good guy won.
    :-)

    I think it was G.K. Chesterton who said that the importance of fairy
    tales was not that it introduced children to the monster under the bed,
    because children all instinctively fear the monster under the bed
    without being told stories. Fairy tales are for introducing the idea
    that the monster under the bed can be killed.

    > Jean Piaget's levels of cognitive growth seem applicable here. As
    > children, we interpret and experience the world very concretely. We
    > need adults around to help us understand what is going on, to pre-digest
    > the things we don't and feed it to us in palatable ways. Even horrible
    > things like war and poverty can be explained to children in ways they
    > can understand. Even a movie like Underworld can be consumed by young
    > folk if helped to get to the central themes of betrayal and how truth
    > can be twisted by bigotry and hate (what Underworld was all about).

    Piaget aside, I'm not convinced it's actually bad for kids to find out
    about things like death, war, poverty, injustice and so on and get upset
    about it. Being upset isn't the end of the world.

    > RPGs have this potential, but without adult guidance of some kind the
    > kids are left to explore on their own. Its fine for them to play, but
    > if adults are available to help. We are obliged to do so are we not?

    You might find that when you aren't there to Disneyfy the game, they're
    hitting ogres in the groin with a +5 greatsword and taking their stuff.

    That's what I was doing around that age. Using stuffed toys as
    miniatures.

    Kevin Lowe,
    Tasmania.

    On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:40:05 -0400, Shawn Roske wrote:

    > I look forward to gaming with my son in a year or two, he's 7 and I
    > think too young for most of the violent themes. He's still a disney
    > kind of guy at this point, talking animals and happy things. He's
    > curious about the complexities of life, but I would not introduce him to
    > orcs until he's ready.

    If you have a Disney kid who likes talking animals: Run a game based on
    Rescue Rangers, Gummy Bears or Tale Spin. No serious violence, you get
    knocked out, shot down, or captured.

    --
    Phoenix

    Rick Pikul wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:40:05 -0400, Shawn Roske wrote:
    >

    >>I look forward to gaming with my son in a year or two, he's 7 and I
    >>think too young for most of the violent themes. He's still a disney
    >>kind of guy at this point, talking animals and happy things. He's
    >>curious about the complexities of life, but I would not introduce him to
    >>orcs until he's ready.
    >

    > If you have a Disney kid who likes talking animals: Run a game based on
    > Rescue Rangers, Gummy Bears or Tale Spin. No serious violence, you get
    > knocked out, shot down, or captured.

    Cool! You know, Gummy Bears had the best theme song ever. Bouncing
    here and there and everywhere...high adventure that's beyond compare...

    Shawn Roske <shawn_roske@sympatico.ca> wrote:
    >Rick Pikul wrote:
    >> On Wed, 11 May 2005 07:40:05 -0400, Shawn Roske wrote:
    >>

    >>>I look forward to gaming with my son in a year or two, he's 7 and I
    >>>think too young for most of the violent themes. He's still a disney
    >>>kind of guy at this point, talking animals and happy things. He's
    >>>curious about the complexities of life, but I would not introduce him to
    >>>orcs until he's ready.
    >>

    >> If you have a Disney kid who likes talking animals: Run a game based on
    >> Rescue Rangers, Gummy Bears or Tale Spin. No serious violence, you get
    >> knocked out, shot down, or captured.
    >>

    >Cool! You know, Gummy Bears had the best theme song ever. Bouncing
    >here and there and everywhere...high adventure that's beyond compare...

    I've always wanted some Gummy-berry juice. And the episode
    where they meet some ancient gummy-bears who dress in plate
    (but can still bounce!) and weild these weird staff/pipe
    weapons kicked ass.

    ~P.

    Rick Pikul wrote:

    > If you have a Disney kid who likes talking animals: Run a game
    based on
    > Rescue Rangers, Gummy Bears or Tale Spin. No serious violence, you
    get
    > knocked out, shot down, or captured.

    I always liked TaleSpin. The sky pirates and their planes seemed
    like they were stolen directly from Crimson Skies (or the other way
    round).

    I often steal plots or adventure ideas from cartoons for my *adult*
    game.

    I was actually thinking there might be a market out there for something
    like a DnD-Lite, specifically geared towards kids or people who really
    don't want to get all tangled up in AoO's, Grappling Rules, and all the
    other complicated things.

    Like, specifically ban miniatures and battlemats, and all rules that
    would go along with them. Require the kids to imagine the scenes in
    their heads. Then eliminate/replace rules that are overly complicated
    for beginners. This could actually be a worthwhile project. I'd be
    willing to spend time on this if anyone else was also interested.

    webhed wrote:
    > Like, specifically ban miniatures and battlemats, and all rules that
    > would go along with them. Require the kids to imagine the scenes in
    > their heads.

    Why? The minis are often the kids' favorite part of the game.
    --
    Bradd W. Szonye
    http://www.szonye.com/bradd

    On Fri, 13 May 2005 20:29:29 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
    <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

    >webhed wrote:
    >> Like, specifically ban miniatures and battlemats, and all rules that
    >> would go along with them. Require the kids to imagine the scenes in
    >> their heads.
    >
    >Why? The minis are often the kids' favorite part of the game.

    Kids' favourite part of the game?

    My group's favourite part of the game is the minis...and we're not
    what you could call "kids"...okay, exaggeration, but minis do add a
    lot to the game. Even beyond that, they help develop spacial sense and
    lets the players focus more on the game than on trying to picture the
    situation.

    Jordan

    webhed wrote:
    > Like, specifically ban miniatures and battlemats, and all rules that
    > would go along with them. Require the kids to imagine the scenes in
    > their heads. Then eliminate/replace rules that are overly complicated
    > for beginners. This could actually be a worthwhile project. I'd be
    > willing to spend time on this if anyone else was also interested.

    My boys have been playing board games since they were
    old enough to roll dice, so I think that it will be
    the most intuitive part of the game for them. If I
    tell them they can move 6 squares and attack, or move
    12 squares, they can handle that pretty easy.

    >>My son is a little young to play D&D (he's 2) but he does like to roll
    >>dice for Mommy and Daddy, and we're working on identifying the numbers. :)
    >
    > Completely off the subject, but when I was about 2 or 3, my parents were
    > playing mah-jongg, and I was just fresh from learning to read some Chinese
    > characters (especially ones on mah-jongg tiles).
    >
    > "Daddy! You have two /center/s," I announced in Chinese.
    >
    > My dad's opponents were appreciative of the tip... :)

    Good one! We used to always give away card games, talking about all the
    "valentines", etc. Once playing euchre with the Jokers as the highest
    cards, my brother said, "Daddy, can I see that clown?" People at the table
    laughed and my dad sheepishly passed him a card. "No not that one, the
    other one!" my brother said.

    I actually learned maj-jongg from a friend's family who were Dutch. We
    built this big square wall with the tiles and there were all these complex
    rules about scoring points, etc. Didn't quite get it all, but I'd like to
    try it again...

    Spinner

    >> Like, specifically ban miniatures and battlemats, and all rules that
    >> would go along with them. Require the kids to imagine the scenes in
    >> their heads.
    >
    > Why? The minis are often the kids' favorite part of the game.
    > --
    That's the only part of the game my 5 yr old plays right now (although he's
    constantly asking for more and I'm putting him off). Oh, that and drawing
    maps -- we drew this cool one with volcanoes and a beach and dinosaur
    tracks, etc. You know, the kind you'd really like to sit down and draw for
    your actual game but you never do?

    Spinner

Games Video Games