New Computer Question

I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can transfer
some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell? The old
computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
remember how.
Thanks in advance for any help of this.
david
38 answers Last reply
More about computer question

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 02:10:29 GMT, david wrote in

    > I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can transfer
    > some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell? The old
    > computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
    > somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
    > remember how.

    If your old computer has a NIC card or Ethernet adapter then get a
    crossover cat-5 cable and you can hook them directly up to each other. You
    will need to enable file and print sharing on both machines and make sure
    they are on the same workgroup. Then, just create a shared folder on your
    desktop and anytime you want to transfer stuff between the two machines
    place the files into the shared folder on one machine and you can copy it
    over to the other.

    I have a router hooked up to my cable modem and the two desktop machines
    are able to share the Internet connection, my printer, and files without
    any problems but I have used the crossover cat-5 cable method in the past
    before I got the router to transfer stuff between computers.

    Or, you could just burn the files you want to transfer to a CD. It would
    probably be quicker and, depending on your knowledge of networking, a lot
    faster. ;-)

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can
    transfer
    > some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell?

    Generally you can't. Programs must be re-installed.

    > The old
    > computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
    > somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
    > remember how.

    You can. Presumably your new machine is XP and if so in its help search
    "cable connection".

    > Thanks in advance for any help of this.
    > david

    terrible answer, Ron. .

    XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine. You will
    need to re-install your apps on the new machine, but the wizard creates a
    big zip-like file that you can then copy between computers (using the
    methods described in this thread). This is generally good for things like MS
    applications. If you have been very good about organizing your data in your
    My Documents folder, this works relatively well. If not, you may need to
    copy individual files over from one comp to another. This works best if XP
    is installed on both machines. If not, you will need to use other methods.

    Another method not already discussed, would be to put the drive from your
    old compaq into the new dell, as a slave on the same IDE channel. Then, you
    can copy files from one drive to the other without the need for any
    networking. This is a relatively simple thing to do, but if you are
    uncertain then you should ask a neighbor, or someone you know who is
    knowledgeable for assistance.

    - NuTs

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 02:10:29 GMT, david wrote in
    >
    > > I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can
    transfer
    > > some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell? The old
    > > computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
    > > somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
    > > remember how.
    >
    > If your old computer has a NIC card or Ethernet adapter then get a
    > crossover cat-5 cable and you can hook them directly up to each other.
    You
    > will need to enable file and print sharing on both machines and make sure
    > they are on the same workgroup. Then, just create a shared folder on your
    > desktop and anytime you want to transfer stuff between the two machines
    > place the files into the shared folder on one machine and you can copy it
    > over to the other.
    >
    > I have a router hooked up to my cable modem and the two desktop machines
    > are able to share the Internet connection, my printer, and files without
    > any problems but I have used the crossover cat-5 cable method in the past
    > before I got the router to transfer stuff between computers.
    >
    > Or, you could just burn the files you want to transfer to a CD. It would
    > probably be quicker and, depending on your knowledge of networking, a lot
    > faster. ;-)
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now how
    can I tell
    if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    Thanks again.
    david

    > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
    how
    > can I tell
    > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    > Thanks again.
    > david

    NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)

    Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
    default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.

    Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
    ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking configured
    right now ?

    - NuTs

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in

    > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?

    Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
    of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
    RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that on
    the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking your
    machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
    machine.

    > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now how
    > can I tell
    > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?

    As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
    Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
    that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
    way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
    together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :-)

    > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.

    No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
    program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just put
    a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
    drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
    (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.

    If no burner then disregard. :-)

    What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
    your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then move
    the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
    model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
    more work.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Nice Post, David

    ... one correction though: You meant to say the NetBEUI portocol (not
    NetBIOS).

    Its fast and lightweight. Easy to install and setup. It makes it so that
    other computers in the workgroup show up when you browse MyNetworkPlaces.
    But, you still have to create a "share" on the C drive, and/or D drive
    depending on what the Compaq system has.

    - NuTs

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in
    >
    > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    >
    > Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
    > of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
    > RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that
    on
    > the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking
    your
    > machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
    > machine.
    >
    > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
    how
    > > can I tell
    > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    >
    > As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
    > Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
    > that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
    > way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
    > together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :-)
    >
    > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    >
    > No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
    > program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just
    put
    > a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
    > drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
    > (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.
    >
    > If no burner then disregard. :-)
    >
    > What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
    > your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then
    move
    > the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
    > model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
    > more work.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 00:13:47 -0500, NuTCrAcKeR wrote in

    > Nice Post, David
    >
    > ... one correction though: You meant to say the NetBEUI portocol (not
    > NetBIOS).

    Oops! You're right. :-)

    > Its fast and lightweight. Easy to install and setup. It makes it so that
    > other computers in the workgroup show up when you browse MyNetworkPlaces.
    > But, you still have to create a "share" on the C drive, and/or D drive
    > depending on what the Compaq system has.

    Yep!

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message

    > "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I just ordered a new Dell Dimension 8400 and need to know how I can
    > transfer
    > > some program files from my old Compaq computer to the new Dell?
    >
    > Generally you can't. Programs must be re-installed.
    >
    > > The old
    > > computer had a zip drive and the new one doesn't. I thought I had read
    > > somewhere where you can hook up the two computers by a cable but don't
    > > remember how.
    >
    > You can. Presumably your new machine is XP and if so in its help search
    > "cable connection".
    >
    > > Thanks in advance for any help of this.
    > > david

    Thanks Ron Reaugh for you quick reply.
    I will search the cable connection.
    david

    "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    > terrible answer, Ron. .

    Clueless.

    > XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine.

    Yes it does and I showed how to find it.

    >You will
    > need to re-install your apps on the new machine,

    That's what I already posted.

    Can we say plagiarize.

    > "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    > > terrible answer, Ron. .
    >
    > Clueless.

    You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be very
    careful.

    > > XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine.
    >
    > Yes it does and I showed how to find it.

    Show me where you mentioned the "file and settings transfer wizard",
    located under Programs>Accessories>SystemTools ? Well, You didnt. Your post
    does not mention a wizard of any kind, much less a place to locate such a
    thing.

    Saying "search help" for something that will help him connect 2 machines is
    hardly the process that I outlined above. But, as you so astutely missed, I
    did site using any of the other methods to connect 2 computers in the
    thread, your input included.

    > >You will
    > > need to re-install your apps on the new machine,
    >
    > That's what I already posted.

    I was specifically referring to datafiles generated by the OP's (that would
    be Original Poster's) applications that he wants to move, but also siting
    that the wizard would not move the program files for them. I believed it was
    important enough to re-iterate (that means to repeat), as a novice may be
    inclined to misunderstand. I added that as a precaution.

    > Can we say plagiarize.

    I suppose you would accuse me of plagiarizing on the grounds that we both
    used the word "the" in our posts ... To plagiarize, I would have had to post
    an overwhelming amount of your writing as my own, which anyone in this group
    will agree I did not. Funny how you failed to mention the data copy method
    of putting both drives in one machine. That's the first thing that I would
    think would come to mind, especially with such a seasoned professional such
    as yourself.

    Oh, I heard that there was a BIOS update, with undocumented enhancements,
    that would do this whole process for them if they pressed a hidden key
    combination while the system was booting. Do you think that the BIOS should
    be updated to address that?

    On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 23:32:31 -0500, NuTCrAcKeR wrote in

    >> Clueless.
    >
    > You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be very
    > careful.

    Just ignore him. Ron is nothing more than a lame troll.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    > > > terrible answer, Ron. .
    > >
    > > Clueless.
    >
    > You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be
    very
    > careful.

    Well you've already made your ineptness very apparent...I'm sure your skills
    and qualifications follow that closely.

    Are you a criminal? OR are you a smalltime newbie sysadmin?

    > > > Clueless.
    > >
    > > You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be
    > very
    > > careful.
    >
    > Well you've already made your ineptness very apparent...I'm sure your
    skills
    > and qualifications follow that closely.

    Gee, I missed that part. Can you clue me in on how you arrived at that higly
    refined conclusion?

    > Are you a criminal? OR are you a smalltime newbie sysadmin?

    Oh, man, this is GREAT ! 1 response from me, and you are already stooping to
    name-calling. Sheeeeeze.

    Why dont you try to find out how smart I am ? Come on, this is your chance
    to Stump the Judge ! Make it a good one.

    -NuTs ( by the way, I own you already Ron. I have a nice rubber gimp suit
    that is just your size).

    The guy wants to transfer a few files. Offer help not snow!

    > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
    > how
    > > can I tell
    > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    > > Thanks again.
    > > david
    > >

    > NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)
    >
    > Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
    > default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.
    >
    > Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
    > ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking configured
    > right now ?
    >
    > - NuTs

    You don't appear to believe in asking questions to collect pertinent
    information with which to fashion accurate, credible answers.

    Butt out, Ron (or whoever you are)

    > The guy wants to transfer a few files. Offer help not snow!
    >
    > "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    > >

    > > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    > > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq.
    Now
    > > how
    > > > can I tell
    > > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    > > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    > > > Thanks again.
    > > > david
    > > >

    > > NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)
    > >
    > > Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
    > > default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.
    > >
    > > Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
    > > ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking
    configured
    > > right now ?
    > >
    > > - NuTs

    "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message

    > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
    > how
    > > can I tell
    > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    > > Thanks again.
    > > david
    > >

    > NIC = Ethernet Adapter (NIC stands for Network Interface Card)
    >
    > Unless Dell does something tricky with the installation of Windows, the
    > default workgroup name *should be* WORKGROUP.
    >
    > Are you familiar with settiing up TCP/IP networking ? do you have an
    > ethernet hub or switch? How is the Compaq computer's networking configured
    > right now ?
    >
    > - NuTs

    Thanks NutCrAKeR for you quick reply.
    I am sorry to say I am not familiar with setting up TCP/IP networking, and
    haven't
    a clue if I have a ethernet hub or switch. I am a novice as I am sure you
    can tell.
    I will be willing to find out how my computers networking is configured if
    you would
    be so kind as to tell me where to look. Although I did go to Network under
    the Configuration tab and "Client for NetWare Networks" is listed as is
    "File and printer sharing for NetWare Networks" if this helps. I found this
    looking it up under Help.
    Thanks again"
    david

    > Thanks NutCrAKeR for you quick reply.
    > I am sorry to say I am not familiar with setting up TCP/IP networking, and
    > haven't
    > a clue if I have a ethernet hub or switch. I am a novice as I am sure you
    > can tell.
    > I will be willing to find out how my computers networking is configured if
    > you would
    > be so kind as to tell me where to look. Although I did go to Network
    under
    > the Configuration tab and "Client for NetWare Networks" is listed as is
    > "File and printer sharing for NetWare Networks" if this helps. I found
    this
    > looking it up under Help.
    > Thanks again"
    > david

    Hello David. I completely understand where you are coming from.
    Where did you aquire this computer form? From where did you get the Compaq?
    Do you live near a tech school, or university?
    Perhaps a local PC shop may be your best option. Or, a student might help
    for a small sum of moneyu. Unless you really want to learn how to do this,
    or time is a factor for you, you may want to consider getting some in-house
    assistance on this. Its something that can be accomplished via postings in a
    group, however, you would probably benefit most from having someone come in
    and walk you through how to do this (or do it for you and explain it step by
    step). A more interactive approach may be more beneficial to you. I dont
    know where you are located, and I am not asking for money to help you, but I
    have done this type of thing for other people and it has been time and money
    well spent.

    What method suits you best at this point ?

    - NuTs

    The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.

    > > > You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be
    > > very
    > > > careful.
    > >
    > > Well you've already made your ineptness very apparent...I'm sure your
    > skills
    > > and qualifications follow that closely.
    >
    > Gee, I missed that part. Can you clue me in on how you arrived at that
    higly
    > refined conclusion?
    >

    > > Are you a criminal? OR are you a smalltime newbie sysadmin?
    > >

    > Oh, man, this is GREAT ! 1 response from me, and you are already stooping
    > name-calling. Sheeeeeze.
    >
    > Why dont you try to find out how smart I am ? Come on, this is your chance
    > to Stump the Judge ! Make it a good one.
    >
    > -NuTs ( by the way, I own you already Ron. I have a nice rubber gimp suit
    > that is just your size).

    > The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.

    It sounds like you are pouting, Ron. its not very becoming.

    - NuTs

    "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in
    >
    > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    >
    > Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
    > of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
    > RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that
    on
    > the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking
    your
    > machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
    > machine.
    >
    > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
    how
    > > can I tell
    > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    >
    > As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
    > Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
    > that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
    > way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
    > together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :-)
    >
    > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    >
    > No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
    > program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just
    put
    > a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
    > drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
    > (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.
    >
    > If no burner then disregard. :-)
    >
    > What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
    > your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then
    move
    > the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
    > model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
    > more work.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
    Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
    I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
    old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
    first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
    so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
    the Ethernet Port help?
    Thanks.
    David

    David,
    within 21 days of your invoice date you will be eligible for free
    Advanced/Support from Dell. If you have a network card in the old
    computer, you could buy a crossover cable and call Dell technical
    support and ask for advanced support if the technician cannot help
    you. Advance support can help you install/configure the network.

    Other options which you have are :

    1. Remove the zip drive from old computer and install it in the new
    computer. For removal and installation of of parts in your Dell
    computer refer the manual that came with the new computer and you can
    also take the help of Dell technical support.

    2.Buy USB memory to transfer data. You could go for 256 MB.

    3.Help from others in this newsgroup.

    Tim.

    "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<eP58d.662207$Gx4.370121@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
    > "David Casey" <sgtcasey@IH8SPAMcableone.net> wrote in message
    > > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 03:49:44 GMT, david wrote in
    > >
    > > > Thank you Dave for your quick reply.
    > > > How can I tell If I have a NIC card or Ethernet adapter?
    > >
    > > Well, the 8400 should come with a built-in NIC. It's the plug on the back
    > > of your computer that looks like a large phone plug. It's known as an
    > > RJ-45 connector. Check to see if your old computer has a plug like that
    > on
    > > the back of the system. If not, then a crossover cable and networking
    > your
    > > machines together won't work unless you install a NIC card in the old
    > > machine.
    > >
    > > > I did find and I think enabled file and print sharing on the Compaq. Now
    > how
    > > > can I tell
    > > > if the new Dell when. it is delivered is on the same workgroup?
    > >
    > > As the other poster said, generally the default workgroup is WORKGROUP.
    > > Also, I've found it often times a lot easier to install NetBIOS and use
    > > that to network machines together here at home. Less stuff to set up that
    > > way. I just used the Network Setup Wizard to get my two machines working
    > > together. Click on it and follow the prompts. :-)
    > >
    > > > I don't have a way to transfer the old files to a CD.
    > >
    > > No CD burner or no CD burning program? If you just don't have a burning
    > > program then have no fear. Windows XP can burn CD's on it's own. Just
    > put
    > > a blank CD in the burner and the window that comes up is where you will
    > > drag stuff to that you want burned. Then just click the write files to CD
    > > (or whatever it says in the pane on the left) and there you go.
    > >
    > > If no burner then disregard. :-)
    > >
    > > What kind of Zip drive do you have? Is it a USB model or is it built into
    > > your Compaq? If it's a USB just copy the files to a Zip disk and then
    > move
    > > the drive to the new machine. If it's built it then it's probably an IDE
    > > model. While you could also just move the zip drive over, that is a bit
    > > more work.
    > >
    > > Dave
    > > --
    > > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > > US Army Signal Corps!!
    > >
    > > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    > >
    > > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
    >
    > Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
    > Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
    > I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
    > old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
    > first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
    > so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
    > the Ethernet Port help?
    > Thanks.
    > David

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 06:10:18 GMT, david wrote in

    > Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
    > Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
    > I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
    > old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
    > first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
    > so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
    > the Ethernet Port help?

    It should if the connector is an RJ-45 type. An RJ-45 connector is just
    like a phone line connector except larger to accommodate more pins.

    Also, if you do decide to network them together, make sure you get a
    *crossover* cat-5 cable. A cat-5e cable will also work fine. Just ask the
    sales clerk in whatever store you go to if you're not sure. Also, don't
    believe them if they tell you that you need the super expensive type of
    cable. You're not running a mission essential network or anything so the
    cheap cable should work just fine.

    I don't know if you game at all with friends and such, but a crossover
    cable is also great for hooking up two machines directly to each other to
    multi-play. I used to do that with a null-modem cable back before Ethernet
    ports and NIC cards were standard equipment. :-)

    "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message news:<_qadnd3pAY5Vef3cRVn-gQ@speakeasy.net>...
    > > The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.
    >
    > It sounds like you are pouting, Ron. its not very becoming.
    >
    > - NuTs

    GEE, Iwish I had all the time in the world to send garbage back and forth!

    tim <delltech@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > David,
    > within 21 days of your invoice date you will be eligible for free
    > Advanced/Support from Dell. If you have a network card in the old
    > computer, you could buy a crossover cable and call Dell technical
    > support and ask for advanced support if the technician cannot help
    > you. Advance support can help you install/configure the network.

    > Other options which you have are :

    4) Remove the old hard drive and install it in the Dell.

    a) Disconnect the old hard drive. Make note of which specific
    connector it was installed. Put a Post-It on the connector
    end or whatever.
    b) With drive in hand, make note of the jumper locations on a
    sheet of paper.
    c) The old drive is all but guaranteed to be IDE. Find a free
    IDE pigtail in the Dell. Jumper the old drive for Cable Select.
    Gently lean the drive against the case.
    Connect the IDE cable you found in the Dell. Add power
    (4 pin white translucent cable).
    d) Power on. Notice the new drive in Explorer. Copy away.
    e) Reverse the process.
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    NuTCrAcKeR wrote:
    > "Ron Reaugh" <rondashreaugh@att.net> wrote in message
    >
    >>"NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>terrible answer, Ron. .
    >>
    >>Clueless.
    >

    > You have no idea who I am or what my skills and qualifications are. Be very
    > careful.
    >

    >>>XP comes with a wizard to help you copy your data to a new machine.
    >>
    >>Yes it does and I showed how to find it.
    >

    > Show me where you mentioned the "file and settings transfer wizard",
    > located under Programs>Accessories>SystemTools ? Well, You didnt. Your post
    > does not mention a wizard of any kind, much less a place to locate such a
    > thing.
    >
    > Saying "search help" for something that will help him connect 2 machines is
    > hardly the process that I outlined above. But, as you so astutely missed, I
    > did site using any of the other methods to connect 2 computers in the
    > thread, your input included.
    >

    >>>You will
    >>>need to re-install your apps on the new machine,
    >>
    >>That's what I already posted.
    >

    > I was specifically referring to datafiles generated by the OP's (that would
    > be Original Poster's) applications that he wants to move, but also siting
    > that the wizard would not move the program files for them. I believed it was
    > important enough to re-iterate (that means to repeat), as a novice may be
    > inclined to misunderstand. I added that as a precaution.
    >

    >>Can we say plagiarize.
    >

    > I suppose you would accuse me of plagiarizing on the grounds that we both
    > used the word "the" in our posts ... To plagiarize, I would have had to post
    > an overwhelming amount of your writing as my own, which anyone in this group
    > will agree I did not. Funny how you failed to mention the data copy method
    > of putting both drives in one machine. That's the first thing that I would
    > think would come to mind, especially with such a seasoned professional such
    > as yourself.
    >
    > Oh, I heard that there was a BIOS update, with undocumented enhancements,
    > that would do this whole process for them if they pressed a hidden key
    > combination while the system was booting. Do you think that the BIOS should
    > be updated to address that?

    This has to be the funniest post ive read for months. Thanks NuTCrAcKeR,
    and keep up the good work.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 06:10:18 GMT, david wrote in
    >
    > > Thanks again Dave for the quick response.
    > > Unfortunate the Zip I have is built in so no help there.
    > > I will have a CD burner on the new computer but none on the
    > > old one. I did find out I had a Ethernet Port though and in you
    > > first response I believe you ask if I had an Ethernet adapter and if
    > > so I could attach a crossover cat-5 cable to each computer. Will
    > > the Ethernet Port help?
    >
    > It should if the connector is an RJ-45 type. An RJ-45 connector is just
    > like a phone line connector except larger to accommodate more pins.
    >
    > Also, if you do decide to network them together, make sure you get a
    > *crossover* cat-5 cable. A cat-5e cable will also work fine. Just ask
    the
    > sales clerk in whatever store you go to if you're not sure. Also, don't
    > believe them if they tell you that you need the super expensive type of
    > cable. You're not running a mission essential network or anything so the
    > cheap cable should work just fine.
    >
    > I don't know if you game at all with friends and such, but a crossover
    > cable is also great for hooking up two machines directly to each other to
    > multi-play. I used to do that with a null-modem cable back before
    Ethernet
    > ports and NIC cards were standard equipment. :-)
    >
    > Dave

    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Again thanks for the information.
    I did find a connector in the back of the Compaq that looks like a large
    phone
    line connector. It doesn't have any markings on it any place I can see but
    must
    be the Ethernet connector for the cat-5 cable.
    One more question? I only have one monitor. Will I be able to use the one
    for both computers
    when I hook up the cable, will this be a problem?
    david
  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:58:31 GMT, david wrote in

    > Again thanks for the information.
    > I did find a connector in the back of the Compaq that looks like a large
    > phone
    > line connector. It doesn't have any markings on it any place I can see but
    > must
    > be the Ethernet connector for the cat-5 cable.

    That sounds like it's it.

    > One more question? I only have one monitor. Will I be able to use the one
    > for both computers when I hook up the cable, will this be a problem?

    You can use one monitor if you have a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch. I
    just recently bought one which allows me to use two computers using a
    single monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaker set. All I do to switch
    between them is hit the SCROLL LOCK key twice and then either the up or
    down arrow. I believe mine cost $49.99 at Circuit City. You can probably
    find them cheaper if you look hard enough online.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Michael P Gabriel" <axipolti@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > "NuTCrAcKeR" <nutcracker@internationalhacker.org> wrote in message
    > > > The thread title fully characterizes what and who you are.
    > >
    > > It sounds like you are pouting, Ron. its not very becoming.
    > >
    > > - NuTs
    >
    > GEE, Iwish I had all the time in the world to send garbage back and forth!

    It appears you do

    ; -)
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > > Oh, I heard that there was a BIOS update, with undocumented
    enhancements,
    > > that would do this whole process for them if they pressed a hidden key
    > > combination while the system was booting. Do you think that the BIOS
    should
    > > be updated to address that?
    > >

    > This has to be the funniest post ive read for months. Thanks NuTCrAcKeR,
    > and keep up the good work.

    Darren,

    I dont suppose you followed the flame thread where that joker was talking
    about undocumented enhancements to the bios as a prime reason to update it
    whenever possible .... Yeah, I was kicking him about that.

    Good times, Darren ... good times.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 17:58:31 GMT, david wrote in
    >
    > > Again thanks for the information.
    > > I did find a connector in the back of the Compaq that looks like a large
    > > phone
    > > line connector. It doesn't have any markings on it any place I can see
    but
    > > must
    > > be the Ethernet connector for the cat-5 cable.
    >
    > That sounds like it's it.
    >
    > > One more question? I only have one monitor. Will I be able to use the
    one
    > > for both computers when I hook up the cable, will this be a problem?
    >
    > You can use one monitor if you have a KVM (keyboard video mouse) switch.
    > just recently bought one which allows me to use two computers using a
    > single monitor, keyboard, mouse, and speaker set. All I do to switch
    > between them is hit the SCROLL LOCK key twice and then either the up or
    > down arrow. I believe mine cost $49.99 at Circuit City. You can probably
    > find them cheaper if you look hard enough online.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    This is the way I will go. The KVM (keyboard video mouse) I found was a
    IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Built in 6' cables for
    $49.99. I have a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and Logitech
    Trackman
    Mouse I guess this would work with the KVM? Once all this is hooked up is
    there
    any other step I will need to take?
    Thanks again.
    david
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:43:07 GMT, david wrote in

    > This is the way I will go. The KVM (keyboard video mouse) I found was a
    > IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Built in 6' cables for
    > $49.99. I have a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and Logitech
    > Trackman Mouse I guess this would work with the KVM? Once all this is
    > hooked up is there any other step I will need to take?

    No, I think you'll be fine. Just network away.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Most changes in each new mobo BIOS are NOT documented. Always flash the
    latest mobo BIOS carefully.
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > On Mon, 04 Oct 2004 20:43:07 GMT, david wrote in
    >
    > > This is the way I will go. The KVM (keyboard video mouse) I found was a
    > > IOGEAR MiniView Micro 2-Port USB KVM Switch with Built in 6' cables for
    > > $49.99. I have a Microsoft Natural MultiMedia Keyboard and Logitech
    > > Trackman Mouse I guess this would work with the KVM? Once all this is
    > > hooked up is there any other step I will need to take?
    >
    > No, I think you'll be fine. Just network away.
    >
    > Dave
    > --
    > You can talk about us, but you can't talk without us!
    > US Army Signal Corps!!
    >
    > http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98
    >
    > Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

    Thanks again Dave for all the help you have given me.
    Now that I am getting a new Dell computer I will probably
    be needing help again and It is great to know I can get it
    at this newgroup from knowledgeable and helpful people like
    youself and others.
    david
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Tue, 05 Oct 2004 03:47:27 GMT, david wrote in

    > Thanks again Dave for all the help you have given me.
    > Now that I am getting a new Dell computer I will probably
    > be needing help again and It is great to know I can get it
    > at this newgroup from knowledgeable and helpful people like
    > youself and others.

    Usenet is like that. You might also check out the support forums at
    http://support.dell.com. There are a lot of folks there who can help out
    with any problems, too.

    Dave
    US Army Signal Corps!!

    http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

    Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!
  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "david" <chevie40no-spam@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >any other step I will need to take?
    >Thanks again.
    >david

    I meant to post this yesterday, but got sidetracked. A lot of
    your "networking" questions can be answered by checking out
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com, which can tell you all you
    ever wanted to know and more about all of the basics involved in
    home networking - even if it is just a simple, peer-to-peer,
    crossover cable connection such as you are contemplating. It'll
    take a lot of mystery out of things.
    --
    OJ III
  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Most changes in each new mobo BIOS are NOT documented. Always flash the
    latest mobo BIOS carefully.
  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Most changes in each new mobo BIOS are NOT documented. Always flash the
    > latest mobo BIOS carefully.

    I dont suppose you would ever tell anyone to flash thier BIOS wrecklessly,
    now would you?

    What relavance does your post have to the one that its in repsonse to? Its a
    direct ratio to your level of skill and knowledge, NONE.

Dell Computer Computers