Dimension 8300, adding internal harddrive as external?

Have a year old Dimension 8300 with a 120GB harddrive.

With some good deals on 250GB internal hard drives and USB enclosures
available, I am thinking of buying both, to create an external USB
hard drive.

Seems it should be easy.

Would I need any special software that doesn't come with the drive
or/and enclosure?

Any caveats?
3 answers Last reply
More about dimension 8300 adding internal harddrive external

    Nope. Plug it in. Use it.

    On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:07:19 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    wrote:

    >Nope. Plug it in. Use it.

    Hard drives are brand names but I see enclosures going from near $20
    to $60, what do you look for, nothing fancy, just to assure it works
    (USB)?

    TIA

    I like this one:

    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=3325-N&cat=CAS

    Do NOT get a cheap plastic one with a fan. They're LOUD!

    Tom
    > On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 12:07:19 -0400, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Nope. Plug it in. Use it.
    >
    > Hard drives are brand names but I see enclosures going from near $20
    > to $60, what do you look for, nothing fancy, just to assure it works
    > (USB)?
    >
    > TIA

Dell Hard Drives Dimension Computers