NORTHWOOD!!!

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
some preliminary benches floating around the net.

this is a 2.2Gig @2.9Gig Northwood
<A HREF="http://www.amddiyoc.com/giga/GA-8ITXR/8ITXR-2.htm" target="_new">http://www.amddiyoc.com/giga/GA-8ITXR/8ITXR-2.htm</A>

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

eden

Champion
Do you know how old this is???

This has been floating since September, and is a useless way too early to judge bench!!!
It probably wasn't a Northwood!
Meltdown calm down, you may want to prove NW's strengh, but I think you should wait a bit before throwing old lies at us...

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
OK, I've just done some quick calculations to work out what the performance would have been if it hadn't been overclocked. It's an impressive overclock, but other than that, these figures show the Northwood to be no faster than the existing Pentium 4s (outside of the clock difference).
I'm going to wait to see some respectable benchmarks before I draw any conclusions about the Northwood’s performance.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
looks like amd might have to change their PR scheme
Why would they have to do that? Their PR scheme is based off of their Thunderbird CPUs. An Athlon XP 1800+ is supposedly the performance of a Thunderbird running at 1800 MHz.
Northwood doesn't change anything. Just a newer chip. If it didn't perform better it'd be stupid to release it.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I m wondering if there overclocking. On the lower part of the page I see 2.2 at 2.66?

And Mine shows that when I over clock it. And Question why are they compareing it to a 1.4amd? When they should compare it with a Amd 1.60 1900. Then take that cpu and over clock it to 1.8 which would be same speed as the one there showing on there? I guess they are dumb Like Amdmeltdown.

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Actually AtolSammeek that Sisoft sandra program doesn't have Athlon XP 1900+ as a comparrison choice. And if this is as old as previously mentioned no one could buy a 1900+ or any other Athlon XP at all for that matter. not to mention not everyone has the money to buy multiple systems to play with.........

SammyBoy

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2001
Well, I see that some benches have been leaked. Granted, most everything is in Chinese, so one has to go by the graphics. Now, not to rain on the parade, but while it's great to see that the Northwood can run at 2.6GHz (the cooling needed is unknown, though), since the part was speced for 2.2GHz and that a 2.6GHz part probably isn't due out for 4-6 months, it's not a good comparison to current processors. Also, since Sandra either doesn't have, or the "reviewer" chose not too, XP was not there for comparison. But, compared to the "old" P4, there isn't much of an increase. According to my calcs (which might not be that good, I admit) the 2.6GHz Northwood is only about 1% faster in MIPS. Also, basing even more off extrapolated numbers (this assumes a 20% increase for ever 400MHz increase, which is the difference in all three Sandra benches I use, based off the Sandara numbers), the integer iSSE2 numbers are less then 1% higher than the theoretically clocked 2.6GHz "old" P4, and the floating point iSSE2 is 3% higher.

Now, I admit, these numbers might be horribly off, for many reasons. But, if these numbers are close to the actual results of the Northwood, I'm very disapointed in the way it performs. I would expect the increase in L2 cache and FSB speed to yield an increase at least on the order of 6-10%. Hopefully for Intel, this sample was older, and much has been revised since this (The WCPUID date is 11/17/01). Otherwise, the die shrink accomplished only a wattage output decrease (and subsequently, the ability to scale further without needing exotic cooling). That's one point it could have going for it, as we all know that current processor operate at a wattage output that suggests there is much wasted energy. At least they make good space heaters.

-SammyBoy

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It looked like the northwood had a 133 MHz FSB (quad pumped means it was around 533 MHz I think) So it should have gotten considerably higher scores.........oh well I don't really care about pentium 4s anyways, costs to much money for not enough performance.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
This benchmark does not look real.There place that show 133 some 166.Sorry but there is no RDRAM that can go this high.True that northwood will have a amazing O*c ability like celeron 1.1A.Still any P4 2.0A (that the only that will cost under 1000 CAD) will be stock at 20*133 with normal colling even with performance heatsink/articsilver.There is no RDRAM that can go over 133.There only 1 chance that you hit 150.
1you are very lucky on you choice of ram (a almost perfect 1)
2 Ram heatsink.
3 2 case at lease.

Conclusion i wait for toms to do a benchmark.

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&project_type=6&dprid=2108670

LoveGuRu

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2001
and to think intel fan posted that...
self destructive of him..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
But I did write AMD complaining about the lack of unlocked L1 bridges in the xp

You do know that the p4 is locked permanently, and no amount of 8 dollar silver conductive ink can change that....hell of a reason to jump ship on amd heh.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Blinded by Intel = Troll
Blinded by Islam = Muslium extremists

Both are futile attempts to achieve supremancy. The notions are the same and both with fail.

Very sad.

<font color=purple>~* K6-2 @ 333MHz *~
I don't need a 'Gigahertz' chip to surf the web just yet ;-)</font color=purple>

ummm that site shows some ambiguity that just doesn't make any sense.

For one why are the overclocking it and compareing it to a slower chip? Thats like taking a athlon 1.4ghz and compareing an Intel pentium 3 500mhz and saying AMD's are the best. Doesn't make anysense.

Then they show a 166mh FSB which no pc800 ram can do. 133 maybe but 166 is just too high. The fact the memory bandwidth is higher then that of the normal pc800 shows my they arn't using pc800 but pc1200 and thats how they got the 166mhz fsb. Otherwise it's impossible.

i'm no amd or intel troll i have a a couple pentium PRO's 200 a pentium 3 laptop and my dad has a pentium 200. i have a amd chip which i like quite a bit for the money i paid for it. and my dad has one also. we have more pentiums then athlons.

The site seems suspicious the fact they say they have it overclocked to 2.6 and it reads it as 2.9 and the memory they say is pc800 when clearly it has to be pc1200. Just a lot of inconsistencies and lies and i wouldn't take this site as credible.

I'd wait until anandtech and tomshardware both have the proper benchmarks and then compare the two take the average of both totals and thats your benchmark.

don't go jumping up and down now and preording northwoods lol i'd wait a bit.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Do you know how old this is???

This has been floating since September, and is a useless way too early to judge bench!!!

Right, because it's not like the dates on WCUID are from November 17th, or anything.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

"conversion, software version 7.0,
looking at life through the eyes of a tire hub,
eating seeds as a pasttime activity,
the toxicity of our city, of our city,
new, what do you own the world? How do you own disorder, disorder, ..."

name that tune!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
-------------
Their PR scheme is based off of their Thunderbird CPUs. An Athlon XP 1800+ is supposedly the performance of a Thunderbird running at 1800 MHz.
Northwood doesn't change anything.
-------------

You got to be kidding if you really bealive this. There are major flaws in this theory. Here are few...

Why they decided to come out with PR Rating after P4. They could have based the PR rating of T-Bird on the Original Athlon and they could have called it Athlon 3000+ since it probably would preform at that level compare to Original K7 on .25u process.

Second is for the Hammer processor the PR formula will change, So are they going to still base their PR rating on T-bird or they are going to use Barton, I don't really know but I wouldn't be surprised if the PR rating given to Hammer would be close to what's availabe from Intel when Hammer releases.

I don't mind the PR rating at all, as long as it's fair. And I have found it to be fair since Atlon with PR would preform similar to P4 with same frequency. So I got to give credit to AMD for doing it right. But I don't agree that it's based on old T-bird. That's what they want you to believe.

KG

Kemche

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2001
-----------------
Blinded by Intel = Troll

Both are futile attempts to achieve supremancy. The notions are the same and both with fail.

Very sad.
Blinded by Intel = Troll

Very sad.
--------------

This wasn't necessary.

KG

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Are you comparing intel supporters to the people who bombed the world trade center?

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>