Musings on Alignment

I hope that this doesn't start a big flame war or anything but I was
just mulling over the alignment system and I think that I've only now
finally grasped how WotC intended for it to work. This might have been
blindingly obvious to many others for ages but it has only now dawned
on me that what matters when it comes to alignments it is what you do
and not why you do it.

Take the old moral dilema that I have often heard of being presented to
LG types (especially Paladins). The Big Bad has a number of innocent
hostages and the hero is presented with the choice of killing one
innocent or the alternative is that lots of innocents die (including
the original one). If you look at it from the perspective of "the
greater good" then the needs of the many would outway the needs of the
few. But that has never sat well with how an LG character is apparently
supposed to act. I now believe that the intentions of the rules are
that it is the act that matters not the motivation. So in this scenario
the character should refuse to kill the innocent. It may result in many
more deaths but their actual actions ("doing nothing") are not in
themselves wrong whereas killing someone (even if for good reason) is
considered to be an intrinsically an evil act no mater why it is done.
By extension a person that does the right thing but for the wrong
reasons is acting in a "good" manner.

A "good" act that happens to have negative or bad consiquences is still
good.

An "evil" act that happens to have positive or good consiquences is
still evil.

Thoughts, anyone?

Crazy 'Scaper wrote:
> I hope that this doesn't start a big flame war or anything but I was
> just mulling over the alignment system and I think that I've only now
> finally grasped how WotC intended for it to work. This might have
been
> blindingly obvious to many others for ages but it has only now dawned
> on me that what matters when it comes to alignments it is what you do
> and not why you do it.
<snip>

> A "good" act that happens to have negative or bad consiquences is
still
> good.
>
> An "evil" act that happens to have positive or good consiquences is
> still evil.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Sticking a sword in someone is not necessarily evil.
Casting a heal spell on someone is not necessarily good.
Why *matters* - without the Why, there's no way for you
to even discuss whether such things as "a 'good' act" or
"an 'evil' act" exist.

Walt Smith
Firelock on DALNet

firelock...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Sticking a sword in someone is not necessarily evil.
> Casting a heal spell on someone is not necessarily good.
> Why *matters* - without the Why, there's no way for you
> to even discuss whether such things as "a 'good' act" or
> "an 'evil' act" exist.

But, and I may be mistaken here, within the context of D&D aren't
certain actions considered to be intrinsically good or evil. For
example, isn't slavery deemed to be evil regardless of the "why"?
That's why I am wondering if the "why" isn't utterly irrelevant and
that all that matters (as far as the designers of the alignment system
are concerned) is the "what".

Crazy 'Scaper wrote:
> I hope that this doesn't start a big flame war or anything but I was
> just mulling over the alignment system and I think that I've only now
> finally grasped how WotC intended for it to work. This might have
been
> blindingly obvious to many others for ages but it has only now dawned
> on me that what matters when it comes to alignments it is what you do
> and not why you do it.

<snip>

> (...) whereas killing someone (even if for good reason) is
> considered to be an intrinsically an evil act no mater why it is
done.
> By extension a person that does the right thing but for the wrong
> reasons is acting in a "good" manner.

Your basic assumptions don't seem to mesh with those of WotC. Take a
look at the Shadowbane Inquisitor PrC in Complete Adventurer. Clearly,
WotC believes that killing innocents to make sure that a greater wrong
is averted can be a Lawful Good act.

Laszlo

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> > Take a look at the Shadowbane Inquisitor PrC in Complete
Adventurer.
> > Clearly, WotC believes that killing innocents to make sure that a
> > greater wrong is averted can be a Lawful Good act.
>
> Hm, that's a bit off. It's possible to remain lawful good even though
> you may occasionally hurt the innocent, because alignments represent
> general attitude. So long as the goodness outweighs the neutral and
evil
> elements of your attitude, you're good overall (Hero Builder's
Guide).

> However, paladins are also restricted from committing any evil act,
and
> the willingness to sacrifice innocent lives seems to qualify, even if
in
> pursuit of noble goals -- that is, after all, what makes most "mad
> scientists" and other "zealous reformer" villains villainous.
>
> I can only imagine that they were referring to incidental harm to
> innocents, rather than deliberate harm. For example, if you confront
> demon in the middle of a city, the resulting fight will likely result
in
> extensive harm to innocent people, and that's not necessarily evil on
> the hero's part. (Unwise, maybe, but it's a staple of heroic fiction
--
> see the collateral damage in most superhero stories.) On the other
hand,
> nuking a village, Lina Inverse style, just to get at a bad guy hiding
> out there, is (partly) evil.

Nope, definitely not. The intent is very clear.

Here are some of the relevant bits from Complete Adventurer:

SHADOWBANE INQUISITOR

(...) Their relentless zeal and their overwhelming belief in their own
righteousness allow shadowbane inquisitors to root out evil cleanly,
even if it costs the lives of a few good creatures, without the moral
doubt that other knights might feel. The Order of Illumination expounds
that it is better to sacrifice a village that hides a powerful demon
than it is to risk letting the demon escape or the evil spread.
Although inquisitors remain devoted to the cause of good, this
conviction allows them to use their abilities against enemies
regardless of their alignment.

Requirements:
-------------
Alignment: Lawful good.
Special: Detect evil class feature or ability to cast detect evil as a
divine spell

Laszlo

David Johnston wrote:
> On 10 May 2005 06:14:36 -0700, "Crazy 'Scaper"
> <crazy_scaper@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
> However, there's one little
> detail you seem to have overlooked. Cooperating with hostage takers
> does not in fact serve the greater good. It gives evil a way to
> enslave you. After all, who's to say that the Big Bad won't just
have
> you kill another innocent after the first one? Or a third or...

Or even laughing and killing the hostages anyway while
taunting you for being so gullible.(1) If someone
is willing to commit kidnapping, blackmail, and murder,
then they *just might* be willing to stoop to lying.

And vice versa: if you refuse to kill the innocent, nothing
is stopping the Big Bad from relenting and letting the
hostages go. Admittedly, this is probably unlikely (or
he wouldn't be the Big Bad in the first place), but it
is the Big Bad's choice, not yours.

This sort of scenario is a false choice: no matter what
you do, it still isn't your choice what happens to the
Big Bad's hostages; it's his.

1) "OMG u n00b i cant beleive u fell 4 that!!!!!
mi villainy r0xx0rs!!!!" Though probably worded
differently.

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
Adventurer.

> Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
> >> Hm, that's a bit off. It's possible to remain lawful good even
though
> >> you may occasionally hurt the innocent .... However, paladins are
> >> also restricted from committing any evil act, and the willingness
> >> sacrifice innocent lives seems to qualify ....
>
> > Nope, definitely not. The intent is very clear.
> > Here are some of the relevant bits from Complete Adventurer:
>
> I read the class description. I'm saying that it doesn't imply what
you
> said above. A paladin who willingly sacrifices innocents, even for
the
> greater good, has committed an act of evil and must atone to restore
his
> paladin abilities.

Cite? Really, where did you get this from? (Your own moral code doesn't
count, since this is a discussion about D&D and not the real world).

I'm sorry, but WotC does not seem to believe that sacrificing innocents
for the greater good is necessarily evil. It definitely might lead one
into evil, but is not evil in and of itself. At least, it's not evil on
the D&D good-evil axis (I am entirely uninterested in a discussion
about whether it's evil IRL or not).

> His alignment won't necessarily change, since good characters can
commit
> evil acts, but he'll break the paladin's code.

Really. So you're saying that a prestige class obviously _built on_ the
paladin, requires the one taking it to break the paladin's code, if
played correctly.

Well, that's... interesting.

> The flavor text for the Shadowbane Inquisitor implies that paladin
> inquisitors are willing to break their codes, if necessary, to serve
the
> greater good. However, the class does not actually change the
paladin's
> code, so it still applies.

Why are you bringing a paladin's code into this? The discussion is
about whether killing innocents for a greater good can be considered a
good act or not.

The bottom line is that you believe a Paladin 5/Rogue 2/Shadowbane
Inquisitor 5, if played according to the flavour text for the PrC, is
continually losing his paladin powers, and having to regain them
through atonement. Well, shine on you crazy diamond.

Laszlo

David Johnston wrote:
> On 10 May 2005 12:53:09 -0700, dchilders@cablespeed.com wrote:
>

> >David Johnston wrote:
> >> On 10 May 2005 06:14:36 -0700, "Crazy 'Scaper"
> >> <crazy_scaper@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >>
> >> However, there's one little
> >> detail you seem to have overlooked. Cooperating with hostage
takers
> >> does not in fact serve the greater good. It gives evil a way to
> >> enslave you. After all, who's to say that the Big Bad won't just
> >have
> >> you kill another innocent after the first one? Or a third or...
> >>

> >Or even laughing and killing the hostages anyway while
> >taunting you for being so gullible.(1) If someone
> >is willing to commit kidnapping, blackmail, and murder,
> >then they *just might* be willing to stoop to lying.
> >
> >And vice versa: if you refuse to kill the innocent, nothing
> >is stopping the Big Bad from relenting and letting the
> >hostages go. Admittedly, this is probably unlikely (or
> >he wouldn't be the Big Bad in the first place), but it
> >is the Big Bad's choice, not yours.
> >
> >This sort of scenario is a false choice: no matter what
> >you do, it still isn't your choice what happens to the
> >Big Bad's hostages; it's his.
>
> And that's where motives come into it. A Lawful Good person can do
> terrible things when they seem to be necessary out of Good
> motivations. But after a certain point, when they stop considering
> whether these things are really necessary, their supposed Good
> motivations simply become justifications. Even if their intended
> _ends_ are Good, their motives have become tainted with unspoken less
> than Good drives like ambition, convenience, insecurity and simple
> sadistic pleasure. Ends and motives are not the same thing and it is
> your motives, not your ends, that define your alignment.

Excellent post. Couldn't have put it better myself.

This is why the Shadowbane Inquisitor is one of my favourite PrCs, by
the way; playing one offers great roleplaying opportunities, whether
you end up falling into darkness or remaining the pure but merciless
hand of Justice.

Laszlo

Crazy 'Scaper wrote:
> But, and I may be mistaken here, within the context of D&D aren't
> certain actions considered to be intrinsically good or evil.

Not really. Alignments represent general attitudes (and cosmic stuff
like planar material). When the PHB refers to an "act of evil," they
mean "an act founded in evil attitude."

Good is defined as willingness to help the innocent, regardless of
affiliation or personal gain. Evil is defined as willingness to hurt the
innocent, regardless of whether it's an end in itself or a means to an
end. Neutrality is defined as a lack of commitment to either (usually, a
compunction against harm combined with a reluctance to help strangers).

Therefore, an "act of good" is an act of random kindness, and an "act of
evil" is one that hurts the innocent (either deliberately or through
depraved indifference).

> For example, isn't slavery deemed to be evil regardless of the "why"?

American chattel slavery is generally indicative of evil, since it
typically degrades the dignity of innocents. However, there are many
exceptions in fiction (and a few in history) where chattel slaves are
treated with respect and kept only as a sham to protect the victims from
other slave-owners.

Chattel slavery is pretty rare historically, though, and other forms of
slavery are not so clearly evil. For example, temporary enslavement of
criminals and prisoners is pretty common historically (and in modern
times -- the stereotypical "convict stamping out license plates" is the
same kind of thing). We don't generally regard that as evil, and neither
does D&D, since a (just and reasonable) punishment does not hurt or
degrade the innocent.

> That's why I am wondering if the "why" isn't utterly irrelevant and
> that all that matters (as far as the designers of the alignment system
> are concerned) is the "what".

Since the "what" is always willing harm to innocents, the "why" is
always relevant; you must establish that the act was deliberate and not
accidental (or mind-controlled, in a fantasy setting).
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Take a look at the Shadowbane Inquisitor PrC in Complete Adventurer.
> Clearly, WotC believes that killing innocents to make sure that a
> greater wrong is averted can be a Lawful Good act.

Hm, that's a bit off. It's possible to remain lawful good even though
you may occasionally hurt the innocent, because alignments represent
general attitude. So long as the goodness outweighs the neutral and evil
elements of your attitude, you're good overall (Hero Builder's Guide).

However, paladins are also restricted from committing any evil act, and
the willingness to sacrifice innocent lives seems to qualify, even if in
pursuit of noble goals -- that is, after all, what makes most "mad
scientists" and other "zealous reformer" villains villainous.

I can only imagine that they were referring to incidental harm to
innocents, rather than deliberate harm. For example, if you confront a

Bradd W. Szonye <bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
> Good is defined as willingness to help the innocent, regardless of
> affiliation or personal gain. Evil is defined as willingness to hurt the
> innocent, regardless of whether it's an end in itself or a means to an
> end. Neutrality is defined as a lack of commitment to either (usually, a
> compunction against harm combined with a reluctance to help strangers).

Forgot this the first time: If you've studied philosophy, you may be
familiar with immoral, moral, and supererogatory behavior. Immoral
behavior violates moral principles, moral behavior observes them, and
supererogatory behavior goes beyond basic responsibilities to achieve
greater goods. D&D's alignment system follows similar principles. Evil
people are the "sinners" who hurt the innocent, good people are the
"saints" and "heroes" who go out of their way to help the innocent, and
neutral people are everyone else, the basically moral but unheroic part
of the population.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

On 10 May 2005 06:14:36 -0700, "Crazy 'Scaper"
<crazy_scaper@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

>I hope that this doesn't start a big flame war or anything but I was
>just mulling over the alignment system and I think that I've only now
>finally grasped how WotC intended for it to work. This might have been
>blindingly obvious to many others for ages but it has only now dawned
>on me that what matters when it comes to alignments it is what you do
>and not why you do it.
>
>Take the old moral dilema that I have often heard of being presented to
>LG types (especially Paladins). The Big Bad has a number of innocent
>hostages and the hero is presented with the choice of killing one
>innocent or the alternative is that lots of innocents die (including
>the original one). If you look at it from the perspective of "the
>greater good" then the needs of the many would outway the needs of the
>few. But that has never sat well with how an LG character is apparently
>supposed to act. I now believe that the intentions of the rules are
>that it is the act that matters not the motivation.

That is of course not true. Both the act and the motivation for the
act matter. Going around healing everyone around with your magic
powers doesn't mean that you are automatically Good for doing it. If
you are just doing it for money and status and don't care about the
people you help much, you are Neutral. However, there's one little

Bradd W. Szonye wrote:
>> Hm, that's a bit off. It's possible to remain lawful good even though
>> you may occasionally hurt the innocent .... However, paladins are
>> also restricted from committing any evil act, and the willingness to
>> sacrifice innocent lives seems to qualify ....

> Nope, definitely not. The intent is very clear.
> Here are some of the relevant bits from Complete Adventurer:

I read the class description. I'm saying that it doesn't imply what you
said above. A paladin who willingly sacrifices innocents, even for the
greater good, has committed an act of evil and must atone to restore his
paladin abilities. His alignment won't necessarily change, since good
characters can commit evil acts, but he'll break the paladin's code.

The flavor text for the Shadowbane Inquisitor implies that paladin
inquisitors are willing to break their codes, if necessary, to serve the
greater good. However, the class does not actually change the paladin's
code, so it still applies.
--
Bradd W. Szonye
http://www.szonye.com/bradd

On 10 May 2005 12:53:09 -0700, dchilders@cablespeed.com wrote:

>David Johnston wrote:
>> On 10 May 2005 06:14:36 -0700, "Crazy 'Scaper"
>> <crazy_scaper@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> However, there's one little
>> detail you seem to have overlooked. Cooperating with hostage takers
>> does not in fact serve the greater good. It gives evil a way to
>> enslave you. After all, who's to say that the Big Bad won't just
>have
>> you kill another innocent after the first one? Or a third or...
>>

>Or even laughing and killing the hostages anyway while
>taunting you for being so gullible.(1) If someone
>is willing to commit kidnapping, blackmail, and murder,
>then they *just might* be willing to stoop to lying.
>
>And vice versa: if you refuse to kill the innocent, nothing
>is stopping the Big Bad from relenting and letting the
>hostages go. Admittedly, this is probably unlikely (or
>he wouldn't be the Big Bad in the first place), but it
>is the Big Bad's choice, not yours.
>
>This sort of scenario is a false choice: no matter what
>you do, it still isn't your choice what happens to the
>Big Bad's hostages; it's his.

Now if you want a more plausible moral dilemma, you go with something
like:

You are J'ak Ba'er, LG Rogue and you know that within the day the Big
Bad is going to unleash a city destroying Plot Device unless you find
him and stop him. The only person who knows where the Big Bad and his
Plot Device is, is the Big Bad's brother, a Neutral who hasn't
actually done anything particularly bad himself but won't rat out his
brother. You have no time for conventional interrogation or even to
dig up some truth extracting magic. Do you torture the more or less
innocent brother?

Sure you do. And your motives are still LG.

A year later, and in pursuit of your latest Big Bad, you have taken to
torturing everyone who might know anything about what's going on to
make sure they tell you everything they know.

Are you still LG? I doubt it. Given that the latest Big Bad is just
as Bad as the first one and you aren't torturing people for fun or
profit, you might not have quite reached Evil, but your definition of
"necessary" has expanded to the point that you are torturing as much
for convenience and paranoia as for necessity, so you are well on the
way. So maybe you've hit LE, probably you've hit LN, but you are
pretty sure to have drifted from LG.

Once of course you end up using those methods to pursue the little
bads, when it's no longer an in extremis approach but S.O.P., when
CTU has become The Section and the Republic has become the Empire,
dude, get yourself an all black outfit, because you are officially LE.

And that's where motives come into it. A Lawful Good person can do
terrible things when they seem to be necessary out of Good
motivations. But after a certain point, when they stop considering
whether these things are really necessary, their supposed Good
motivations simply become justifications. Even if their intended
_ends_ are Good, their motives have become tainted with unspoken less
than Good drives like ambition, convenience, insecurity and simple
sadistic pleasure. Ends and motives are not the same thing and it is
your motives, not your ends, that define your alignment.

On 10 May 2005 06:14:36 -0700, "Crazy 'Scaper" <crazy_scaper@yahoo.co.uk>
scribed into the ether:

>I hope that this doesn't start a big flame war or anything

An alignment thread start a big flame war? Perish the thought.

Mouse

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2003

On 10 May 2005 06:14:36 -0700, "Crazy 'Scaper"
<crazy_scaper@yahoo.co.uk> raised a finger to the sky and proclaimed:

>I hope that this doesn't start a big flame war or anything but I was
>just mulling over the alignment system and I think that I've only now
>finally grasped how WotC intended for it to work. This might have been
>blindingly obvious to many others for ages but it has only now dawned
>on me that what matters when it comes to alignments it is what you do
>and not why you do it.
>
>Take the old moral dilema that I have often heard of being presented to
>LG types (especially Paladins). The Big Bad has a number of innocent
>hostages and the hero is presented with the choice of killing one
>innocent or the alternative is that lots of innocents die (including
>the original one). If you look at it from the perspective of "the
>greater good" then the needs of the many would outway the needs of the
>few. But that has never sat well with how an LG character is apparently
>supposed to act. I now believe that the intentions of the rules are
>that it is the act that matters not the motivation. So in this scenario
>the character should refuse to kill the innocent. It may result in many
>more deaths but their actual actions ("doing nothing") are not in
>themselves wrong whereas killing someone (even if for good reason) is
>considered to be an intrinsically an evil act no mater why it is done.
>By extension a person that does the right thing but for the wrong
>reasons is acting in a "good" manner.
>
>A "good" act that happens to have negative or bad consiquences is still
>good.
>
>An "evil" act that happens to have positive or good consiquences is
>still evil.
>
>Thoughts, anyone?

[flips through the other responses]

OK, no one's mentioned this yet.

If the BBEG says "do this, or I kill a bunch", and you don't do it -
the BBEG is still the one doing the killing.

Any DM that held the LG person responsible for the BBEG's actions
deserves what he gets.

--
Either way, I hate you Count Chocula, if I didn't already.
- Drifter Bob, rec.games.frp.dnd

"Crazy 'Scaper" <crazy_scaper@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in

> I hope that this doesn't start a big flame war or anything but I was
> just mulling over the alignment system and I think that I've only now

<snip>

> A "good" act that happens to have negative or bad consiquences is still
> good.
>
> An "evil" act that happens to have positive or good consiquences is
> still evil.
>
> Thoughts, anyone?

Been a couple of years since I been this way.
It's good to see the old Alignment/LG topic still kickin.
Keep up the Good Work, but is it really good...?

Boise

Distinguished
May 14, 2003

I believe that an alignment is just your average behavior. Even a Paladin
can kill out of rage and still be a Paladin as long as he asks for
forgiveness and atones for his actions. A CE barbarian can save his brother,
the paladin from the mob that tries to kill him after the paladin killed the
innocent man. TN characters can have an agenda that is firm like revenge for
a lost loved one. I really believe you can be good even if you commit evil
acts. Oops, CG ranger got into a bar fight and threw a lantern at a guy,
catching him on fire, and burning down the bar killing three people and
injuring a handful more. They run him out of town and he has no chance to
atone and make things right with the town's people. After that, he sends
anonymous monies to the families he hurt from his actions out of grief, etc.
what if everyone in that town was evil? He is sending evil people money to
ease his personal grief. If they use that money to do evil then he is
adversely helping to do evil but his act is charitable by nature so does
this make him evil? I don't think so.

Boise

Oberon

On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:57:45 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
<bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

>Crazy 'Scaper wrote:
>> For example, isn't slavery deemed to be evil regardless of the "why"?
>
>American chattel slavery is generally indicative of evil, since it
>typically degrades the dignity of innocents. However, there are many
>exceptions in fiction (and a few in history) where chattel slaves are
>treated with respect and kept only as a sham to protect the victims from
>other slave-owners.
>
>Chattel slavery is pretty rare historically, though, and other forms of
>slavery are not so clearly evil. For example, temporary enslavement of
>criminals and prisoners is pretty common historically (and in modern
>times -- the stereotypical "convict stamping out license plates" is the
>same kind of thing). We don't generally regard that as evil, and neither
>does D&D, since a (just and reasonable) punishment does not hurt or
>degrade the innocent.

But isn't it evil? We didn't regard Chattel slavery as evil 200
years ago unless we were Catholics. Nowadays we don't even know
why we treat prisoners as slaves. Do we do it to punish them (if
so then it must be evil because it is only satisfying our lust
for revenge). And worse, punishing people over and over actually
makes them embittered and worse people.

Is it done to set an example to someone else who might be
tempted to break the law (if so then it's evil again because we
don't need to set such long sentences to provide a deterrence).

Do we do it to protect society? If so then this is a recent
theory which has (for some reason, see below) superseded the
notion of punishment. Is that because it is seen as
intrinsically good (the only victims, the criminals, have to be
put away because there'd 'no alternative'. But why not ship them
out to a desert Island where they could roam about free all day
provided they didn't escape back to normal society. Why the
tabloid paranoia about giving them Internet access or letting
them watch TV? Why do we need to lock them up XX hours per day
in a cell? If we're doing this just to protect society then
it's truly warped. Are we evil too?

The official reason is to punish wrong-doing. The more recent
theories of protecting society and/or providing deterrence are
modern theories which have not yet been fully accepted into
legal theory. Although whenever you heard an American politician
speak (from 20 years ago) it would have been to promote
deterrence. A modern British Labour politician will talk about
protecting society and will never mention punishment.

Of course, you already know the point of this post. It's that
D&D good and evil are relative; since, as you suggest, D&D
justifies evil behavior on behalf of those who call themselves
good.

On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:41:29 GMT, Oberon <oberon@solstice.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:57:45 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
><bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:
>
>>Crazy 'Scaper wrote:
>>> For example, isn't slavery deemed to be evil regardless of the "why"?
>>
>>American chattel slavery is generally indicative of evil, since it
>>typically degrades the dignity of innocents. However, there are many
>>exceptions in fiction (and a few in history) where chattel slaves are
>>treated with respect and kept only as a sham to protect the victims from
>>other slave-owners.
>>
>>Chattel slavery is pretty rare historically, though, and other forms of
>>slavery are not so clearly evil. For example, temporary enslavement of
>>criminals and prisoners is pretty common historically (and in modern
>>times -- the stereotypical "convict stamping out license plates" is the
>>same kind of thing). We don't generally regard that as evil, and neither
>>does D&D, since a (just and reasonable) punishment does not hurt or
>>degrade the innocent.
>
>But isn't it evil? We didn't regard Chattel slavery as evil 200
>years ago unless we were Catholics.

Actually most of us did. It's just that "we" regarded it as a
"necessary" evil.

Nowadays we don't even know
>why we treat prisoners as slaves.

Because locking someone up and making them do something is not
significantly worse than locking someone up and making them do
nothing. (Always assuming you aren't actually working them to death.)
In fact prisons have used loss of work privileges as a punishment for
misbehaviour.

Oberon wrote:

> But isn't it evil? We didn't regard Chattel slavery as evil 200
> years ago unless we were Catholics. Nowadays we don't even know
> why we treat prisoners as slaves. Do we do it to punish them (if
> so then it must be evil because it is only satisfying our lust
> for revenge).

Depends on the reason for the punishment. Is your mom evil? :)

<snip>

> Do we do it to protect society? If so then this is a recent
> theory which has (for some reason, see below) superseded the
> notion of punishment. Is that because it is seen as
> intrinsically good (the only victims, the criminals, have to be
> put away because there'd 'no alternative'. But why not ship them
> out to a desert Island where they could roam about free all day
> provided they didn't escape back to normal society.

What do you suppose would happen if three vicious murderers were set
loose on an island together? How many islands do you suppose are
available to hold groups of prisoners that would probably *not* kill (or
otherwise do Evil things to) each other?

> Why the
> tabloid paranoia about giving them Internet access or letting
> them watch TV?

Well, the TV thing I'll grant you, but 'net access would have to be
monitored closely; there's still a fair amount of harm they might do.

> Of course, you already know the point of this post. It's that
> D&D good and evil are relative; since, as you suggest, D&D
> justifies evil behavior on behalf of those who call themselves
> good.

Assuming you can actually define "good" and "evil" IRL (as opposed to
the terms of art used in D&D).

-Will

Oberon

On Tue, 24 May 2005 21:49:22 GMT, rgorman@telusplanet.net (David
Johnston) wrote:

>On Tue, 24 May 2005 19:41:29 GMT, Oberon <oberon@solstice.com> wrote:
>
>>On Tue, 10 May 2005 16:57:45 GMT, "Bradd W. Szonye"
>><bradd+news@szonye.com> wrote:

>>>American chattel slavery is generally indicative of evil, since it
>>>typically degrades the dignity of innocents. However, there are many
>>>exceptions in fiction (and a few in history) where chattel slaves are
>>>treated with respect and kept only as a sham to protect the victims from
>>>other slave-owners.
>>>
>>>Chattel slavery is pretty rare historically, though, and other forms of
>>>slavery are not so clearly evil. For example, temporary enslavement of
>>>criminals and prisoners is pretty common historically (and in modern
>>>times -- the stereotypical "convict stamping out license plates" is the
>>>same kind of thing). We don't generally regard that as evil, and neither
>>>does D&D, since a (just and reasonable) punishment does not hurt or
>>>degrade the innocent.
>>
>>But isn't it evil? We didn't regard Chattel slavery as evil 200
>>years ago unless we were Catholics.
>
>Actually most of us did. It's just that "we" regarded it as a
>"necessary" evil.
>
>Nowadays we don't even know
>>why we treat prisoners as slaves.
>
>Because locking someone up and making them do something is not
>significantly worse than locking someone up and making them do
>nothing. (Always assuming you aren't actually working them to death.)
>In fact prisons have used loss of work privileges as a punishment for
>misbehaviour.

Locking people up and making them work is slavery. Even
confiscating their assets without locking them up is very like
slavery when they have no legitimate way to get those
confiscated assets back. That's a 2nd example of state slavery
in a so-called civilized country such as the USA.

Oberon

On Tue, 24 May 2005 23:29:53 GMT, Will Green
<will_j_green@yXaXhXoXoX.com> wrote:

>Oberon wrote:
>>
>> But isn't it evil? We didn't regard Chattel slavery as evil 200
>> years ago unless we were Catholics. Nowadays we don't even know
>> why we treat prisoners as slaves. Do we do it to punish them (if
>> so then it must be evil because it is only satisfying our lust
>> for revenge).
>
>Depends on the reason for the punishment. Is your mom evil? :)
>
><snip>
>
>> Do we do it to protect society? If so then this is a recent
>> theory which has (for some reason, see below) superseded the
>> notion of punishment. Is that because it is seen as
>> intrinsically good (the only victims, the criminals, have to be
>> put away because there'd 'no alternative'. But why not ship them
>> out to a desert Island where they could roam about free all day
>> provided they didn't escape back to normal society.
>
>What do you suppose would happen if three vicious murderers were set
>loose on an island together? How many islands do you suppose are
>available to hold groups of prisoners that would probably *not* kill (or
>otherwise do Evil things to) each other?

Most murderers aren't like that. Most murderers only do it once.
This comic-book characterization is what I expect from people
who think D&D alignment is a good thing.

It's possible to give most nonviolent prisoners much more
freedom whilst still protecting society from them.

Of course, this is all assuming that the purpose of prison is to
protect society. If the purpose of prison is to punish - it's
different. Legal theory has it that the purpose is to punish.
Politicians say the purpose is to protect society. The
politicians are lying again. The problem is that the legal
theory view, punishing prisoners, also has problems - prisoners
leave prison worse people than when they entered. (which
explains a 4th rationale for prison - rehabilitation).

>> Why the
>> tabloid paranoia about giving them Internet access or letting
>> them watch TV?
>
>Well, the TV thing I'll grant you, but 'net access would have to be
>monitored closely; there's still a fair amount of harm they might do.

Isn't there more harm locking them up for most of the day with
nothing to do. OK, by me, to monitor their Internet access and
to even take it away if they misuse it.

>> Of course, you already know the point of this post. It's that
>> D&D good and evil are relative; since, as you suggest, D&D
>> justifies evil behavior on behalf of those who call themselves
>> good.
>
>Assuming you can actually define "good" and "evil" IRL (as opposed to
>the terms of art used in D&D).

I can't define good and evil, but I don't think the terms of art
used in D&D are adequate for classifying character behavior in
an actual game either. I think a GM would have to look at the
big picture and small scene. I still can't see the point of
alignment. You can have a good game with thuggish characters and
a bland game with good characters. I can think of thousands of
plot devices to bring into the game and loads of ways to put
checks on PCs behavior to stop them all behaving like routine
thugs; which is what they sometimes tend to.

I think it was this tendency of PCs to behave like thugs which
brought in alignment but I'm not sure. It goes back a long way
(at least to 1975) to the origins of the game. Whatever the
sickness the cure didn't work and has made the patient ill.

Oberon wrote:

> Most murderers aren't like that. Most murderers only do it once.

And the rest? Can you so easily differentiate between the two types?

> This comic-book characterization is what I expect from people
> who think D&D alignment is a good thing.

You're going to make me cry :~(

> I can't define good and evil, but I don't think the terms of art
> used in D&D are adequate for classifying character behavior in
> an actual game either. I think a GM would have to look at the
> big picture and small scene. I still can't see the point of
> alignment. You can have a good game with thuggish characters and
> a bland game with good characters. I can think of thousands of
> plot devices to bring into the game and loads of ways to put
> checks on PCs behavior to stop them all behaving like routine
> thugs; which is what they sometimes tend to.

Alignment is descriptive, not prescriptive. The quality of a game is no
more dependent on the presence or absence of alignment than it is on the
presence or absence of anything else.

-Will

laszlo_spamhole@freemail.hu wrote:
> Here are some of the relevant bits from Complete Adventurer:
>
> SHADOWBANE INQUISITOR
>
> (...) Their relentless zeal and their overwhelming belief in their own
> righteousness allow shadowbane inquisitors to root out evil cleanly,
> even if it costs the lives of a few good creatures, without the moral
> doubt that other knights might feel. The Order of Illumination expounds
> that it is better to sacrifice a village that hides a powerful demon
> than it is to risk letting the demon escape or the evil spread.
> Although inquisitors remain devoted to the cause of good, this
> conviction allows them to use their abilities against enemies
> regardless of their alignment.
>
> Requirements:
> -------------
> Alignment: Lawful good.
> Special: Detect evil class feature or ability to cast detect evil as a
> divine spell
>
> Laszlo

There is a problem of conflicting goals in designing a moral/ethical
yardstick for roleplaying. On one hand you want it to be simple and not
interfere with the flow of the game, on the other hand you want it to
be able to handle difficult moral issues.

Any storytelling involves conflict of good and evil, (explicit or
implied) it's the fundamental issue that makes stories stories, that
makes them interesting. Everything else is technical literature. D&D
cranks it up a notch by offering a lawful/chaotic dicotomy.

But people are more complex than that. There are dozens of parameters
that can be used to describe you, and you can be tested for each of
them. They will affect the way you think and act and how you relate to
others. You probably do not want to deal with this level of complexity
every time you roleplay (although there are systems that try, to some
degree, Twilight 2000 and AD 2300 come to mind.)

This means that the roleplaying moral system will not adequately cover
every moral dilemma that you can conceive of.

Back to the topic at hand:

> SHADOWBANE INQUISITOR
>
> ... Their relentless zeal and their overwhelming belief in their own
> righteousness allow shadowbane inquisitors to root out evil cleanly,
> even if it costs the lives of a few good creatures, without the moral
> doubt that other knights might feel. ...

I don't like this person. I do not see them as good. In real life, this
is an in-your-face self-righteous fundamentalist with no concept of his
own flawed nature. YMMV. (Delay criticism of "In real life" for a bit.)

> ... The Order of Illumination expounds that it is better to sacrifice
> a village that hides a powerful demon than it is to risk letting the
> demon escape or the evil spread. ...

Too simplistic. Too many unanswered questions. Why is the village
hiding the demon. Is the village evil? Are there other options, rather
than slay them all? Are there time constraints? Essentially, we have a
strawman.

> ... Although inquisitors remain devoted to the cause of good, this
> conviction allows them to use their abilities against enemies
> regardless of their alignment. ...

That is the central dilemma for any good character; all this is saying
is the inquisitors don't think about it; in other words don't reflect
on their decisions; in other words are more likely to screw up. That
sounds like less good to me. Maybe we need a thoughtful/thoughtless
axis? (not really, I hope.)

Off on a bit of another tangent, what exactly is "good" in terms of the
game. Yes, yes, we've seen the definition:

> "Good characters and creatures protect innocent life. Evil characters
> and creatures debase or destroy innocent life, whether for fun or
> profit .... Some evil creatures simply have no compassion for others
> and kill without qualms if doing so is convenient"
> (SRD, "Description"). This is the very definition of good and evil.

(Sorry, I forget who's post I am quoting.)

Does that make cougars intrinsically evil? Well, no, the game has an
"animal alignment" to cover that.

So why are kobolds and orcs intrinsically evil? It's a very
humanocentric point of view. While this was adequate when the embryonic
D&D was enjoyed by a handful of guys as an extension of their wargames,
it is inadequate in terms of the modern storytelling with it's complex
cultures that D&D has become.

Does it cover all the ground that "Good" and "Evil" need to cover? What
about treachery and betrayal? Is this evil in game terms? Is it
covered? Lies and deception? Greed? "Debase" is pretty open-ended, so
maybe, but certainly not in a specific sense in the quoted definition.
I'll get back to this in a moment.

Next clip is out of context, refers to some statement about alignment:

> Cite? Really, where did you get this from? (Your own moral code doesn't
> count, since this is a discussion about D&D and not the real world).

(Sorry, another clip I cannot properly attribute. Poor planning on my
part.)

Focus on the "Your own moral code doesn't count," part. It's both a
good point and not; a good point because this is at its core a
discussion of The Game, not Real Life, but wrong because you can not
discuss moral code in a vacuum; it just doesn't happen. It's like
Heisenberg uncertainty, looking at it affects the measurement. You
grade the moral code of the game against what you believe to be right
and wrong. You evaluate the in-game evaluation. It is not enough to
say, "Does it match the written criteria." The criteria are themselves
evolving (hence 3.5 ed) and each evaluation of the criteria is based on
the evaluator's internal moral compass. You are in the bubble, you
can't step outside to look at it.

If you disagree, let me ask you this: Are cows innocent life? Is your
character evil if he/she follows the customs of his/her society and
eats a roast? I don't think very many of us would say the character was
evil, but by the letter of the rules they are. We have made an
intrinsic evalution that the rules did not intend this to be the case.

Is the definition of good and evil quoted above at all ambiguous? I
think it is pretty clear that, yes, it is. There will be cases that
arise where players will disagree on the application of the definition.
The DM & players will fall back on what they know of good and evil in
the real world.

So, D&D says animals have an animal alignment. Essentially, they are
not self reflective, and are innocent of their behavior. So a cougar or
python is not evil for killing innocent bunnies for its own benefit.
Does this apply to humans with and Int of 3? At what point of self
awareness does alignment kick in?

Back to kobolds and orcs - so, they are self aware enough to be held
accountable for their actions, but why should a kobold give a rat's
hind end about a human? Shouldn't they be evaluated in terms of their
own culture? "Good" adventurers slay plenty of orcs and kobolds. It
seems to me that kobolds and orcs are more hostile in alignment than
evil in alignment.

Even then, we are on shakey ground. We aren't part of their culture.
Our evaluation of the evaluation criteria is doomed to be weak. Is
treachery evil? Is it evil in all cultures? Is treachery toward
outsiders an evil trait, or just within treachery the culture? To my
mind, this yardstick has not been established.

Would a dracocentric definition allow a highly intelligent creature
that discounts the value of various lesser beings to harvest a few of
them for a snack without incurring a moral deficit? I think it might.
"There's plenty more where those came from; it's not like we have a
shortage."

Because if "Their relentless zeal and their overwhelming belief in
their own righteousness" allows Shadowbane Inquisitors to be good "even
if it costs the lives of a few good creatures", in other words, without
regard to consequences, then almost everyone on the planet is good.
Because few people believe themselves and their own actions to be evil.
"Why did you do that?" "He did this to me first." or "She's planning on
doing this." not "Because I'm an evil bastard."

And that applies to various creatures and their cultures, too, in my
estimation. A few may revel in their evilness, most will be
self-righteous, like the rest of us. A kobold will believe that it is
good to be a kobold.

In fact, if anything, the alignments in the Monster Manual smack of
warfare propaganda, where the goal is to dehumanize the enemy.

Consider a human culture that is lawful good, but xenophobic toward
outsiders. Hey, that describes most real cultures! How will it treat a
stranger? Will the constabulary be as scrutinizing of the thief who
exclusively robs outsiders? Will the merchants offer the same deals
toward outsiders? When does this sort of discrimination become evil?
Only when you openly slay them, per the previously quoted definition?

My point is, you cannot hope to encode every moral dilema within a
game's moral system. It is foolish to get hung up about it. Roleplay
the ones that present themselves, enjoy, and move on.

MadKaugh

TRENDING THREADS