Sign in with
Your question

dual processors

Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2001 1:54:25 PM

i have a Socket SECC-2 penium 3 700mhz processor my computer has dual processor capabilities. But i am unable to find another 700mhz processor with the same socket set up. Can i put a 750mhz processor in with the 700mhz processor. Please help me

More about : dual processors

December 16, 2001 2:46:05 PM

i'm not sure but i think you can

but i think also that's both cpu must work at the same clock
which is 700Mhz

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.
December 16, 2001 2:57:12 PM

I think I'm 99.9999% sure you have to put in the exact same processor, 750 won't work because the motherboard won't be able to force it to run 700 because Intel has locked processors.
Related resources
December 16, 2001 3:18:46 PM

ok, intel' [-peep-]

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labdog on 12/16/01 06:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 16, 2001 3:25:25 PM

if you can't find another processor like yours, maybe you need to just buy two newer identical processors. And I also hope you realize that to get 2 CPU support you'll have to run Win2kpro, or XP pro, and if you know what your doing Linux is also nice for Dual Processors. (I sure don't know linux though :smile: )
December 16, 2001 3:26:42 PM

you need both processors to be similar, prefereably from the same stepping and running at exactly the same frequency.

Intel processors have a locked multiplier so you cannot use a 750 MHz processor alongwith a 700 one. Both will run at 100 MHz FSB, but each has a different multiplier.

Do you have a dual processor board? If you have, which one is it?

girish

<font color=red>No system is fool-proof. Fools are Ingenious!</font color=red>
December 16, 2001 5:22:42 PM

I'm just curious where you tried to find another 700 MHz CPU. You should be able to find one for sure at <A HREF="http://www.pricewatch.com" target="_new">pricewatch.</A>
December 16, 2001 6:05:45 PM

No, you need same speed and cache keep looking you should be able to find one
December 16, 2001 8:39:12 PM

I disagree with the other posts.
I think it will be ok to put a 750Mhz CPU in your system. Even if the processors work out of sync internally they communicate with the outside world (and eachother) in sync.

You will be running the board out of spec, but if you are lucky it will be stable anyway. It depends on your motherboard.
December 16, 2001 8:55:57 PM

Quote:
I disagree with the other posts.
I think it will be ok to put a 750Mhz CPU in your system. Even if the processors work out of sync internally they communicate with the outside world (and eachother) in sync.

You will be running the board out of spec, but if you are lucky it will be stable anyway. It depends on your motherboard.

do you have the faintest idea what you are talking about or how dual processor systems work?

-* <font color=red> Under Offer </font color=red> *-
email for application details
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2001 11:17:36 PM

oh in your question on which board it is it is the Toshiba M500d board of course it is manufactured by toshiba. I bought it off of egghead when it was still egghead anyway it was supposed to be a server but i made it into a pc i have to say it is one of the most stable pc's i've ever owned plus i pretty much built, it it only came with one processor and a net card i put everything else that i wanted to in it
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 16, 2001 11:52:06 PM

sell me your processor
!