Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Alternative Desktops?

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 7:41:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

A quick enquiry...

I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.

I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
a comparison but would be keen to try others.

Any suggestions?

Andrew

--
Email address ROT-13 encoded to reduce unsolicited bulk
and commercial Email

naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg

More about : alternative desktops

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 7:41:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 2005-04-04, Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded <naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote:
> A quick enquiry...
>
> I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
> Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>

There are tons available if you use Linux.

*shrugs*

I don't know otherwise, as I'm a Linux user.

Preston
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 7:41:40 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I've been using a very powerful PIM called "Commence" for years. It's
now marketed as CRM software, but it is not nearly as complex as others
in that category. If you search this NG for more information, you'll
find some old posts, many of them mine, concerning Commence. It is
expensive and does have a steep learning curve, but it will do things
no other PIM will come close to. And it comes with a built-in Palm
conduit which works great.
Related resources
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:45:54 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <MPG.1cbb708a2bc77e0d989688@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg says...
> A quick enquiry...
>
> I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
> Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>
> I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
> seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
> a comparison but would be keen to try others.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Andrew
>
>

<http://www.openoffice.org/&gt;

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:45:55 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Jim Anderson wrote:

> In article <MPG.1cbb708a2bc77e0d989688@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
> naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg says...
>> A quick enquiry...
>>
>> I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
>> Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>>
>> I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
>> seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
>> a comparison but would be keen to try others.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Andrew
>>
>>
>
> <http://www.openoffice.org/&gt;

Refresh my memory, how does one find the contact manager in Open Office?

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:58:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

J. Clarke wrote:
> Jim Anderson wrote:
>>In article <MPG.1cbb708a2bc77e0d989688@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>>naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg says...

>>>A quick enquiry...

>>>I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
>>>Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.

>>>I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
>>>seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
>>>a comparison but would be keen to try others.

>>>Any suggestions?

>><http://www.openoffice.org/&gt;

> Refresh my memory, how does one find the contact manager in Open Office?

Not as such, but OpenOffice.org (that's the name of the software, for
legal reasons) 2.0, now in beta, has a full-fledged database component
and also has the ability to import contact lists from several common
programs, so I suppose you could build your own.

(The current OpenOffice.org can /use/ many types of database, and, of
course, since a contact manager is usually, in RDB terms, a single
table, you could just put it in a spreadsheet.)

--
John W. Kennedy
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne
of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts"
-- J. Michael Straczynski. "Babylon 5", "Ceremonies of Light and Dark"
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 12:25:39 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I use Lotus Organiser with my Sony Clie to good effect. Synchs out of the
box.

"Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded" <naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote in message
news:MPG.1cbb708a2bc77e0d989688@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk...
> A quick enquiry...
>
> I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
> Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>
> I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
> seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
> a comparison but would be keen to try others.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Andrew
>
> --
> Email address ROT-13 encoded to reduce unsolicited bulk
> and commercial Email
>
> naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:51:40 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

John W. Kennedy wrote:

> J. Clarke wrote:
>> Jim Anderson wrote:
>>>In article <MPG.1cbb708a2bc77e0d989688@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>>>naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg says...
>
>>>>A quick enquiry...
>
>>>>I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
>>>>Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>
>>>>I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
>>>>seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
>>>>a comparison but would be keen to try others.
>
>>>>Any suggestions?
>
>>><http://www.openoffice.org/&gt;
>
>> Refresh my memory, how does one find the contact manager in Open Office?
>
> Not as such, but OpenOffice.org (that's the name of the software, for
> legal reasons) 2.0, now in beta, has a full-fledged database component
> and also has the ability to import contact lists from several common
> programs, so I suppose you could build your own.

And this is an improvement over Palm Desktop how?

> (The current OpenOffice.org can /use/ many types of database, and, of
> course, since a contact manager is usually, in RDB terms, a single
> table, you could just put it in a spreadsheet.)

And this is an improvement over Palm Desktop how?

I'm sorry, but importing a contact list into a spreadsheet is hardly a
substitute for a purpose-made contact manager, especially when one has to
write a conduit from scratch to do it.


>

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 2:25:57 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 22:51:40 -0400, "J. Clarke"
<jclarke.usenet@snet.net.invalid> wrote:

>John W. Kennedy wrote:
>
>> J. Clarke wrote:
>>> Jim Anderson wrote:
>>>>In article <MPG.1cbb708a2bc77e0d989688@news-text.blueyonder.co.uk>,
>>>>naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg says...
>>
>>>>>A quick enquiry...
>>
>>>>>I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
>>>>>Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>>
>>>>>I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
>>>>>seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
>>>>>a comparison but would be keen to try others.
>>
>>>>>Any suggestions?

Time & Chaos has a Palm synch component, but it costs extra:
http://www.chaossoftware.com/
--
Mike Koenecke
to e-mail, change domain to "alum.haverford.edu"
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 3:18:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <slrnd52tbn.7b6.me@serpentor.cobrala>,
Preston Crawford <me@prestoncrawford.com> wrote:

> On 2005-04-04, Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded <naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote:
> > A quick enquiry...
> >
> > I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
> > Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
> >
>
> There are tons available if you use Linux.
>
> *shrugs*
>
> I don't know otherwise, as I'm a Linux user.
>
> Preston

Same's true for Mac users. I use the Missing Synch for its Notepad
application. It synchs my Docs to Go, does Installs, and synchs
seamlessly with the Mac iCal and Address Book programs.

harlan

--
To respond, obviously drop the "nospan"?
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:58:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:41:39 GMT, Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded
<naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote:

>A quick enquiry...
>
>I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
>Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>
>I am disatisified with the Palm Desktop's contacts manager and am
>seeking other options which I could try out. I have Outlook available as
>a comparison but would be keen to try others.
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Andrew

Iambic software (www.iambic.com) has the Agendus for Windows desktop
that works well for contacts (or so I've heard). It integrates well
with the Palm Agendus PIM program (which until recently I considered
as less useful than Datebk5 but was pleasantlly surprised by recent
changes (rollover dates - i.e. floating events, rollover dates for
to-do's, many different views and ways of looking at a schedule).

I also like it because it has the 4-matrix Covey-Franklin option of
managing tasks. I don't use that model, but I do use the feature to
move to-do's around quickly by importance.

This isn't the most coherant post so you may want to try the trial
versions if you think they might be useful

Kevin

P.S. -- Agendus Desktop gets its data from either Outlook or Palm
databases, so you can use it *in conjunction with* those apps.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:00:43 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Preston Crawford wrote:
> On 2005-04-04, Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded <naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote:
>
>>A quick enquiry...
>>
>>I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
>>Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>
> There are tons available if you use Linux.

Each with its own set of problems. J-Pilot hasn't been maintained since
quite some time ago. It therefore doesn't support new databases on Palm
OS 5.

Evolution is missing memos and I've had some interesting syncing
problems with it. Same for KDE's suite (looks really ugly to me, but YMMV).

What if you need an outliner desktop application that would sync with
Palm? All the major applications that include a desktop part are for
Windows only. I'll be happy if you prove me wrong!

Gorazd
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:00:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Gorazd Bozic wrote:
> Each with its own set of problems. J-Pilot hasn't been maintained since
> quite some time ago. It therefore doesn't support new databases on Palm
> OS 5.

Wrong. I use J-Pilot with a Zire 72 on Fedora 3. Details:

J-Pilot version 0.99.8-pre7
Copyright (C) 1999-2004 by Judd Montgomery
judd@jpilot.org, http://jpilot.org
J-Pilot comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details see the file
COPYING included with the source code, or in /usr/docs/jpilot/.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; version 2 of the License.

Date compiled Mar 5 2005 13:35:38
Compiled with these options:
Installed Path - /usr/local
pilot-link version - 0.11.8
USB support - yes
Private record support - yes
Datebk support - yes
Plugin support - yes
Manana support - yes
NLS support (foreign languages) - yes
GTK2 support - no

/ff
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 9:00:44 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 2005-04-06, Gorazd Bozic <gbx@email.si> wrote:
> Preston Crawford wrote:
>> On 2005-04-04, Andrew Steele ROT-13 encoded <naqerjfgrryr@fcnzpbc.arg> wrote:
>>
>>>A quick enquiry...
>>>
>>>I am wondering if there are any alternative desktop applications that
>>>Palm users are working with other than the Palm Desktop and Outlook.
>>
>> There are tons available if you use Linux.
>
> Each with its own set of problems. J-Pilot hasn't been maintained since
> quite some time ago. It therefore doesn't support new databases on Palm
> OS 5.

That's funny. I used JPilot when I had a Zodiac.

Preston
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 11:38:33 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

> Each with its own set of problems. J-Pilot hasn't been maintained since
> quite some time ago.

J-Pilot has been consistently maintained throughout its life, and in
fact, there have been something like 4-5 releases in the last 6 months.
Are you sure you're checking the right places for updates? The mailing
list is very busy lately with all kinds of things going on. Tons of fixes
and new features have been added to J-Pilot in the last year.

> It therefore doesn't support new databases on Palm OS 5.

You don't seem to realize how difficult it is to _reverse engineer_ the
undocumented file formats, byte-by-byte, and also work around the PalmOS
bugs that we find in the process. When pilot-link supports the new
formats, J-Pilot will support the new formats. If you don't want to help
us reverse-engineer them, why not send a polite letter to Palmsource
letting them know your concerns.

This isn't our problem to solve, but we're going to solve it anyway.
We already support more Palm devices than Palm's own HotSync manager, and
we're faster on-the-wire also, and we support many more platforms that
Palm consistently ignores.

So, support will happen, in time. Complaining about the software you
got _for free_ that works with your device, and gives you more
flexibility, written by developers in their spare time, without any vendor
support or documentation, doesn't encourage them to continue to improve
the project. Why work on something when everyone just shits on your work?

> Evolution is missing memos and I've had some interesting syncing
> problems with it. Same for KDE's suite (looks really ugly to me, but
> YMMV).

Evolution needs to begin supporting the new pilot-link. When that
happens, most of those issues with "missing records" will go away. You're
probably using an OS5 device, and that has a new database format (see
above).

> What if you need an outliner desktop application that would sync with
> Palm? All the major applications that include a desktop part are for
> Windows only. I'll be happy if you prove me wrong!

Progect works fine with Linux. Again, you're talking about a vendor
problem, not a Linux problem. If the vendor wants to port their code to
Linux, there's more than enough people willing to help them test it.

ShadowPlan also works fine with Linux, and runs on Windws and OSX as
well. Some vendors are clueful about their market, some aren't.

There is this misconception that if it runs on Linux, you have to give
it away for free, and with source, and that just isn't true. The vendors
need to understand this, and begin thinking with a logical mind, not one
that is contorted by the media's misunderstanding of Linux.

If you want your favorite outliner to work with Linux, call the vendor
and ask them to port it.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 12:42:04 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On 2005-04-06, David A. Desrosiers <hacker@gnu-designs.com> wrote:
> You don't seem to realize how difficult it is to _reverse engineer_ the
> undocumented file formats, byte-by-byte, and also work around the PalmOS
> bugs that we find in the process. When pilot-link supports the new
> formats, J-Pilot will support the new formats. If you don't want to help
> us reverse-engineer them, why not send a polite letter to Palmsource
> letting them know your concerns.

I don't think the poster cares. I think the poster just saw an opening to
bash Linux without really thinking about the effort that goes into
providing this functionality to people for free. I know I appreciate it.
Since none of the companies involved are very helpful in getting Palm
support onto other platforms.

> Progect works fine with Linux. Again, you're talking about a vendor
> problem, not a Linux problem. If the vendor wants to port their code to
> Linux, there's more than enough people willing to help them test it.

Exactly. Palm is a bad citizen. And now they're making bad hardware to
boot. I really wish people would ramp up on Linux to PocketPC
synchronization. That way I would have the option of leaving them. Of
course, PocketPC is heavily proprietary so obviously that's why that
hasn't evolved as much as pilot-link has. So I guess you don't win either
way.

Preston
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:00:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>Each with its own set of problems. J-Pilot hasn't been maintained since
>>quite some time ago.
>
> J-Pilot has been consistently maintained throughout its life, and in
> fact, there have been something like 4-5 releases in the last 6 months.
> Are you sure you're checking the right places for updates? The mailing
> list is very busy lately with all kinds of things going on. Tons of fixes
> and new features have been added to J-Pilot in the last year.

Glad to hear this. Sorry if I was assuming things - I looked at
http://www.jpilot.org/ and saw that the last version (0.99.7) was
released on 29 Feb 2004.

> You don't seem to realize how difficult it is to _reverse engineer_ the
> undocumented file formats, byte-by-byte, and also work around the PalmOS
> bugs that we find in the process. When pilot-link supports the new
> formats, J-Pilot will support the new formats. If you don't want to help
> us reverse-engineer them, why not send a polite letter to Palmsource
> letting them know your concerns.

Please understand that I was not trying to bash your (and others')
achievements. I was merely reacting to a post saying that Linux has tons
of alternatives for Palm Desktop. It has some and I had a bit of a
problem with each of them.

> So, support will happen, in time. Complaining about the software you
> got _for free_ that works with your device, and gives you more
> flexibility, written by developers in their spare time, without any vendor
> support or documentation, doesn't encourage them to continue to improve
> the project. Why work on something when everyone just shits on your work?

You're assuming that I'm shitting on work of others. You're wrong.

OP said he was dissatisfied with Palm Desktop and was keen to try other
PIMs if there are any. As someone mentioned Linux alternatives it seemed
right to me to mention that I tried some of them and was not very
satissfied with results. If you feel that this expression of my personal
experience with certain software means shitting on your work, I'm sorry,
but I don't see it as such. I would find it hard to praise certain
software if I wasn't satisied with it.

I did at one point consider writing my own application in order to use
it on Linux, but don't have the time to do it, unfortunatelly. I don't
have anything against paying for an application that would suit my needs.

Hope this clarifies things.

Gorazd
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 5:00:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Gorazd Bozic wrote:

> David A. Desrosiers wrote:
>>>Each with its own set of problems. J-Pilot hasn't been maintained since
>>>quite some time ago.
>>
>> J-Pilot has been consistently maintained throughout its life, and in
>> fact, there have been something like 4-5 releases in the last 6 months.
>> Are you sure you're checking the right places for updates? The mailing
>> list is very busy lately with all kinds of things going on. Tons of fixes
>> and new features have been added to J-Pilot in the last year.
>
> Glad to hear this. Sorry if I was assuming things - I looked at
> http://www.jpilot.org/ and saw that the last version (0.99.7) was
> released on 29 Feb 2004.

That's the last "stable" release, the end of development on 0.99.7 before
0.99.8 started. Everything after that is 99.8-pre, which may be quite
usable--I don't use jpilot so have no idea how well it works.

To get anything after 0.99.7 you have to go to cvs.

>> You don't seem to realize how difficult it is to _reverse engineer_ the
>> undocumented file formats, byte-by-byte, and also work around the PalmOS
>> bugs that we find in the process. When pilot-link supports the new
>> formats, J-Pilot will support the new formats. If you don't want to help
>> us reverse-engineer them, why not send a polite letter to Palmsource
>> letting them know your concerns.
>
> Please understand that I was not trying to bash your (and others')
> achievements. I was merely reacting to a post saying that Linux has tons
> of alternatives for Palm Desktop. It has some and I had a bit of a
> problem with each of them.
>
>> So, support will happen, in time. Complaining about the software you
>> got _for free_ that works with your device, and gives you more
>> flexibility, written by developers in their spare time, without any
>> vendor support or documentation, doesn't encourage them to continue to
>> improve the project. Why work on something when everyone just shits on
>> your work?
>
> You're assuming that I'm shitting on work of others. You're wrong.
>
> OP said he was dissatisfied with Palm Desktop and was keen to try other
> PIMs if there are any. As someone mentioned Linux alternatives it seemed
> right to me to mention that I tried some of them and was not very
> satissfied with results. If you feel that this expression of my personal
> experience with certain software means shitting on your work, I'm sorry,
> but I don't see it as such. I would find it hard to praise certain
> software if I wasn't satisied with it.
>
> I did at one point consider writing my own application in order to use
> it on Linux, but don't have the time to do it, unfortunatelly. I don't
> have anything against paying for an application that would suit my needs.
>
> Hope this clarifies things.
>
> Gorazd

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
!