Yes, it’s another “Any thoughts on my PC?" post

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
So I’m building a new computer before the end of the year with the following requirements:
Quiet.
Fast.
Not too expensive.
I am not overclocking.
Parts that I can get hold of without ordering from overseas (I’m in Australia).

Parts I already have:
ATX full tower case.
Sony 48x DVD ROM.
Seagate 20GB 7200RPM HDD.
FDD.
1 CPU and 1 Case fan (28CFM each, and VERY quiet).
Swiftech MCX462 Heatsink.
Arctic Silver II.
A bunch of nice long cables.

Parts that I plan to get:
Enermax 300W whisper PSU.
ABIT NV7m motherboard (NForce).
Athlon XP 1500+.
2 X Hyundai 56MB PC2100 DDR RAM.

Things I’d like to know:
Will a 28 CFM CPU fan provide adequate cooling for an AthlonXP 1500+ if it’s used with a MCX462 heatsink?
Just how quiet is the 300W Enermax whisper PSU?
Will I have any problems with a microATX motherboard in an ATX full tower case?

Notes:
I’d like to use the parts I have, rather than buy new ones.
If the ABIT motherboard gets bad reviews, I’ll get the MSI NForce motherboard instead.
I chose Hyundai RAM because it’s easy to get around here, and beats generic RAM. I figure it’ll be of sufficient quality since I’m not overclocking.
I plan to upgrade the graphics, but not straight away.
The parts I plan to get will cost about $900 (US$468).

I’d like to hear you thoughts on all of this.

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yes your cooling will be adequate.
the MCX will keep that cpu more frigid than a grade 7 nerd, and the casefan will exhaust any heat effectivly.

a question though...
the MCX-462 has a 68cfm 80mm Delta on top (as i have one too)
i thought u wanted a quiet PC?????
that delta IS NOT quiet. trust me.
i suggest u get a rheostat for it, or replace the delta with some other mid range 80mm fan.
Now considering that your getting a relatively cool XP1500+, not overclocking and you are using the MONSTER MCX-462, you could easily use a very quiet fan on top the heatsink and still get very excellent cooling.

ENERMAX psu's are very quiet.
ive got the 550W version, and its not even a whisper, and i cannot hear it over a single med speed casefan, let alone all the other case noise noise.
they are QUIET.

micro atx...hmmm
just check that all the screw holes will be in the right places and that the pci/agp slots matchup.

that hyunadi is Cas2 right? not 2.5?
2 will give u better performance, but u knew that.

cheers

- Know thyself
- Seek
- Love
- Cherish Life
- And do not Yield!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have a MCX-462 and have used a Sunon high-speed fan but prefer a Rheostat on my Delta and I can adjust the speed if needed. Don't have the Enermax but have seen nothing but good reviews. Yes, the motherboard will fit fine. I don't know about the Hyundai memory, but by getting in locally if you have any problems you can return it. :smile:

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
the MCX-462 has a 68cfm 80mm Delta on top (as i have one too)
i thought u wanted a quiet PC?????

I have the MCX642 heat sink, but I did NOT get it with the default fan. Instead I have a 28CFM fan that is to quiet to hear.
I'm glad to hear that the Enermax Whisper PSU is very quiet.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
i don't think Swiftec is very quiet

i have an Aqua 690 with taïsol fan 4800RPM very quiet
& let oc athlon cpu 1.533 between 45°-50°
a not oc would be about 45°C

im not sure, but i think you can install microATX in full Tower

just a question: why nForce, because integrated is cheaper ?

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labdog on 12/17/01 05:47 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
Once again, I have a quiet fan for the Swiftech heatsink rather than the standard Delta fan.
I'm going with an NForce motherboard because it's cheaper than buying a motherboard, sound card, graphics card, and network card (at least in Australia).

dhlucke

Polypheme
Couple thoughts:

Do you have MP3's or do you ever plan to rip a DVD? You have a DVD-ROM and are getting a fast computer so you might decide to rip a dvd, but probably won't be able to with a 20GB HD. You need lots of space. 5GB just to store the movie in most cases while it encodes. Maybe it's just me, but 20GB doesn't cut it. Honestly I filled up my 40GB on the first day. Just WinXP is 1.4GB and games are topping 1GB or even 1.5GB.

Ever plan on having RAID, just adding hard drives, video-capture, tv-card, nic, etc... You might want to consider a 400W P/S while you're buying one now. The PC only uses what it needs. Just incase you want to plan ahead a bit. I figure you have a full tower for a reason.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
You are not overclocking?

Ditch the swifttech and get a retail athlon, you will get a fan which is both quiet and adequate, and also you get a 3 year warantee.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

TRENDING THREADS