G

ok, so I just got the Soyo Dragon Plus, Athlon XP 1800+, 256ddr ram.

I am going throught the manual, and I am trying to find out the Voltage ID for the chip. I also have no idea what the mHz is on it for all it says on POST is Athlon XP 1800+. anyway, the manual is a little greek to me so any insight will be helpful.

Thanks in advanced.

You guys rock!

"One day, the world will know that I was right"

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I have the XP 1800+. Core 1.75v. 1533mhz. multiplier 11.5

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

ok, I have it at cpu frequency 133MHz, CPU Ratio 14.0x andthe CPU Vcore at default. I have no clue what the options mean muchless how they equate to the clocking. any suggestions?

G

what about the CPU Vcore select?

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
of course not !!

don't put cpu ration to 14x but 11.5x

the 1800+ is a PR ratio in front of Intel CPU to link AMD/Intel cpu "theorical" perf

in theory (from AMD) an Athlon XP 1800+ is equal to an Intel 1.8Ghz

but is real frequency is 1.533Ghz

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

G

ok but I only have incriments of default and 0.025 to 0.100 and -0.025 to -0.100..

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Lab, the pr ratings are not compared to p4's they are compared to tbirds.

and an 1800xp smokes even a 2ghz p4.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
sorry, but i read 3 or 4 articles about amd pr

& they all say this pr is for consumers to try to show them not to compare Mhz but real perf between amd & intel cpu
this is a consumer strategy against intel & not themself

& amd had minus a little his pr rating deliberately
this explain that a 1800+ is equal & even beat a p4 2Go

ok, buy nothing.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Lab, it doesnt matter what the editorials are saying, those are OPPINIONS, all that matters is what AMD states about pr, and their official statements are that the pr ratings are in comparison to thunderbirds. You dont believe them, thats your choice, but since its there product you are kind of out of luck.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
perhaps informatics specialized mags say everything & nothing at the same time...

but i hav searched on AMD site, their definition of pr rating & i don't find anything

apart the new Athlon XP proc is better & faster the previous one (yeah, go on XP soon as possible, it's better :))

& a vague performance comparaison between XP vs "old" Athlon & XP vs P4

ok, buy nothing.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by labdog on 12/19/01 05:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Ok, got to lay out all the evidence for you I see, no big deal, amds website faq is a little weird.

SOURCE:http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/ProductInformation/0,,30_118_756_3734^3876,00.html#10228

Ok

Quote 1.

Q: What do the 1900+, 1800+, 1700+, 1600+, and 1500+ numbers mean?

A: These are model numbers. AMD identifies the AMD Athlon XP processor using model numbers, as opposed to megahertz, such as 1900+, 1800+, 1700+, 1600+ and 1500+ versions. Model numbers are designed to communicate the relative application performance among the various AMD Athlon XP processors, as well as communicate the architectural superiority over existing AMD Athlon processors. The AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+ will outperform an Intel Pentium® 4 processor operating at 1.9GHz on a broad array of end-user applications.
This is the main reason everyone is confused, and the pr rating p4 myth is continued. This statement says 2 things, one it says that the pr ratings are to show comparitive performance between axp cpus "AND THEIR SUPERIORITY TO EXISTING AMD CHIPS"(read tbird).

The second part is marketing, that the axp 1900+ would be faster than a p4 1.9ghz in a variety of real world apps(which is true). This second part could be confused as saying that a 1900+ was based on the p4 1.9ghz however they are mearly comparing the 1900+ to the p4 which looks the same.(AMD Is not stupid, they know that pr ratings look like comparisions to the p4, and their motive I am not debating, what I am debating is their OFFICIAL stance, which as I have said above, is all that matters.) and in the next quote you see why this last sentence in fact, does not mean the pr ratings are compared to p4 speeds.

QUOTE2.
Q: How much faster is an AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+ vs. a 1.9GHz Pentium 4 processor?

A: Based on the suite of benchmarks that AMD is using to show relative performance, the AMD Athlon XP processor 1900+ delivers up to a 25-percent performance advantage versus the Intel Pentium 4 processor operating at 1.9 GHz on a broad array of real-world applications.
Now, you see a direct question to their comparision, and amd lays it out plainly, now I ask you, if the pr ratings were based on p4 specs then wouldnt the axp 1900+ be labeled as a pr2375 (1900+25%)? This quote ALONE proves that the pr ratings are NOT based on performance comparisions to the p4.

SOURCE 2
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/archive/22145.html

(I know its the register but hey, I like many sources.)

For all its claims that the new model numbers signify the Athlon XP's performance relative to the old Thunderbird Athlons - purely for legal reasons; it doesn't want the Federal Trade Commission and Intel on its back -
Now, the whole article basically is saying what everyone, and even I say, that AMD's pr ratings are OFFICIALLY in relation to the tbird, but its quite obvious why they created them.(to look better versus the p4) however, as I have said, it is a different thing, what the pr ratings ARE, versus what we think they ARE FOR.

To sum it up, the pr ratings ARE IN FACT, based on tbird speeds, this is shown by both amds claims and the fact they are VERY understated(by as much as 25% according to amd).
But furthermore, they are probably there for the sole purpose of catching ignorant mhz only pc buyers and selling more chips, which I dont mind, because its not like amd is stealing or their 1800+ is actually slower than a p4@1.8ghz.

Regardless, the supposed meaning of the pr ratings is one thing, but the REAL/OFFICIAL meaning is a wholy different thing, and to say that AMD's pr ratings are based on the p4 is not correct.

Did I miss anything?

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
ok, i understand

to an OFFICIAL point of view, you're completely right

but AMD is not stupid & this is not a hazard there pr rating have evident similitude with P4 frequencies

i even read an article where AMD says that they decrease of 25% their PR to not shock Intel & so to not involve troubles & controversy

it's very catchy, with this method AMD compare their cpu to Intel p4 without compare because it's unofficial & not official

but i think for most of people, they see the unofficial pr
so AMD is the winner

AMD is protected himself face of Intel but they nevertheless
succeed their end

but it's just my opinion...

ok, buy nothing.