P4 Northwood 2.2 GHz Benchmark

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
First real P4 Northwood 2.2GHz benchmark results.

A P4 Northwood performs between 7-16 % better than an equally clocked P4 Willamette in the following benchmarks:

3D Mark 2001:.......9%
Quake III Arena:...14%
Flask MMX:..........13%
Flask SIMD:.........11%
Gogo:..................7%
Maya 4.0:...........16%
CC Winstone 2001:.7%

Comparing P4 Northwood 2.2GHz/Intel 845D (not the best chipset for P4) against the Athlon XP1900+/VIA KT266A (one of the best chipsets for AMD Athlon ) gives the following results (O/C'ed Intel Northwood P4 2.53 GHz included):

Content Creation Winstone 2001: (Higher is better)
Intel 82.0
AMD 86.3
O/C. ?

Maya 4: (lower is better)
Intel 89 sec
AMD 95 sec
O/C. 78.1 sec

Flask MPEG - DivX 4.11: (lower is better)
Intel 25 sec, 28.5 sec
AMD 25 sec, 29 sec
O/C. 21 sec, 25.3 sec

GOGO MP3: (Higher is better)
Intel 36.8
AMD 34.6
O/C. 42

Quake III Arena (Higher is better):
Intel 270.6
AMD 237.8
O/C. 302.4

3D Mark 2001 (Higer is better):
Intel 7359
AMD 7222
O/C. 7653,4

It would be nice to see a test combining P4 Northwood with 850 chipset (RDRAM) or the SIS645 chipset (DDR333). Should give a bit more performance for the P4.

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700 MHz on Abit TH7II-RAID => ?

Copenhagen

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
Hell no, I use the Abit TH7-II RAID you know. Do I really have to repeat my overclocked SiSoft Sandra Benchmarks ? :)

Below is a link to a French site that did the Northwood benchmark.

<A HREF="http://www.hardware.fr/html/articles/lire.php3?article=403&page=1" target="_new">http://www.hardware.fr/html/articles/lire.php3?article=403&page=1</A>

/Copenhagen - P4 Willamette 1700 MHz on Abit TH7II-RAID => ?

G

Yeah, I read the (p)review b4. About what was expected from northwood I'd say. A decent speed upgrade, but nothing truly spectactular. It looks like AMD and intel will be neck and neck in the performance race for the comming year. If northwood launches b4 the XP2000+ it will give the performance crown back to intel. I think the XP2000+ will be competitive with 2.0 northwoods however; some wins here, some losses there. In the end, we all win. The more competititve Amd and intel are, the better for us.

It seems intel may have the performance edge if it quickly releases higher speed grades. Especially with the upcomming 133 (533) mhz fsb variants q2 next year. However, im not sure Northwood will be enough to compete with a Thoroughbred.. hopefully with a larger cache and a 166 (333) fsb.. Either way, I dont think intel and amd have been this competitive ever. Arent we all happy ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

mala

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2001
I think Northwood will make RDRAM less important. Willamette really needs RDRAM to perform well, whereas AMD(r) Athlon(tm) Processors don't. Well, we don't know that for sure, because there are no chipsets using RDRAM for the AMD(r) Athlon(tm) platform. But SDRAM really made the Intel(r) Pentium(tm) processor look bad, and I think pairing SDRAM with newer K7's would not be quite as disastrous.

So, how come, when the two CPUs process about the same amount of data per second? It has got to do with the amount of cache. So, when the Intel(r) Pentium(tm) 4 processor gets more cache, the number of memory request in a given time should be lower, and slower memory technology could be used.

On the other hand, the die shrink makes it possible to clock the chip higher, and a higher clocked CPU needs faster memory.

Anyway. I think a willamete @ 2Ghz is more dependent on RDRAM than a Northwood @ 2.2Ghz.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Remember that the Northwood still only has 8k of L1, though. That should've been changed, IMO.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
It seems intel may have the performance edge if it quickly releases higher speed grades. Especially with the upcomming 133 (533) mhz fsb variants q2 next year. However, im not sure Northwood will be enough to compete with a Thoroughbred.. hopefully with a larger cache and a 166 (333) fsb.. Either way, I dont think intel and amd have been this competitive ever. Arent we all happy ?

that is fase runor if you ask me like the improve fpu on northwood.

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&project_type=6&dprid=2108670

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Yeah, I read the (p)review b4. About what was expected from northwood I'd say. A decent speed upgrade, but nothing truly spectactular. It looks like AMD and intel will be neck and neck in the performance race for the comming year. If northwood launches b4 the XP2000+ it will give the performance crown back to intel. I think the XP2000+ will be competitive with 2.0 northwoods however; some wins here, some losses there. In the end, we all win. The more competititve Amd and intel are, the better for us

True that a 2.0A will be neck to neck with a 2000+.2.2 will be king.Spetacular?? a 10.9% faster clock for clock and a 8% due to higher clock speed and the best O*c potencial.I think is spectacular.If we believe Xbitlab the Palamino XP 2000+ will be the last Palamino.So there will be a big hold in the Cpu market of AMD for 2002.

http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?publish_compare.shtml?&project_type=6&dprid=2108670

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
Wow!! For once, Juin's posts are understandable. I agree, Northwoods seems to be more competitive with the Athlon XP. It's great!! I just hope the price is right.......well, I can hope, can't I?

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

eden

Champion
I dunno, I just don't seem to care about such kind of performance, I mean we're still at 1.66GHZ competing a 2.2GHZ. Sounds much more deceiving than it looks there bub.
Even though it can be near impossible to have AMD use Intel's high MHZ methods, or Intel to use better clock cycles like AMD, it is a possibility we need to pick.
So far and I think most of us enthusiasts will agree, AMD's future CPUs are much more of interest to get than Intel's. I mean how MANY here will get a NW if its price is so high and you can nary see any better performance than the AXP at thrice the price less(probably gonna be even 4 times less if I predict Intel's pricing well)?

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...

sdausmus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2001
It wouldn't surprise me to see AMD's prices creep up a bit for the next cycle of CPU's. While Thoroughbred will probably still be significantly less expensive than Northwood, I don't think the price difference will be quite as pronounced as the current Palomino/Willamette gap. AMD's gotta make money, too.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Interesting, thanks for the info.

I actually think the results for Northwood are a little dissapointing. Seeing as it has 10% clock advantage over the 2G AND double the cache, I had hoped for more. Still - it is very early days.

-* <font color=red> !! S O L D !! </font color=red> *-
To the gentleman in the pink Tutu

somerandomguy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2001
First I'd like to say that I'm going to hold back my final opinion of the Northwood until I've seen a few more reviews.

That aside, what I've seen of the Northwood so far is about what I expected, but less than I'd hoped. Still yo have to remember that the Northwood is designed to do one thing <b>very</b> well, and that's scale up the Mhz. A 2.2Ghz Northwood might not bring AMD to their knees, but how quickly will it ramp up in speed? Will AMD keep up?

"Ignorance is bliss, but I tend to get screwed over."

G

>All of you cannot denied now that Intel have take back is Crown for all 2002

I think the judges are still out there on that. I mean, we've seen only one half NW benchmark, and 2002 hasnt even started yet ! But it would come as no surprise that intel woould regain the performance crown at least until the launch of thoroughbred. Thats kinda logic, dont you think ? I mean they do have a die shrink and cpu revision advantage on amd currently. I find it quite amazing amd is still gonna be as competitive as it is.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

The northwood looks a lot better then the other p4 crap. However the price is just outragously insane for the performance equal to that of the athlon xp which is 4 times cheaper. ($600/4 = $150) ... I'm sure the price will be reduced later. It's just priced high to prevent people from buying it right now. I'm sure there are bugs in it like every other new cpu released.

Other than that. It's a pretty good chip. This being what i would call the official P4 chip. If your buying one right away, then man it must be nice to have that kind of money!

*shrugs* what else can i say about it?

the 133mhz QDR fsb upgrade i think will tip the northwood (the official P4) over the edge to that of the athlon xp. Glad to see it finally! Maybe now AMD will do some innovation to keep up.

Gotta love competition!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
I think the judges are still out there on that. I mean, we've seen only one half NW benchmark, and 2002 hasnt even started yet ! But it would come as no surprise that intel woould regain the performance crown at least until the launch of thoroughbred. Thats kinda logic, dont you think ? I mean they do have a die shrink and cpu revision advantage on amd currently. I find it quite amazing amd is still gonna be as competitive as it is.

That is logic but thouroubred will not have a higher IPC so northwood will stay king and even more in Q2 when will be able to use Pc 1066 who offers a extra 10 %.Northwood will be king for all Q1 Q2 Q3 maybe not Q4 barton will be there if there can put it in Q4 i expect major delay on Barton.

Tullosh/Northwood who suppost to be the grave of AMD.Now Northwood/Brookdale-D so amd can survive.

balzi

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
What the??
Juin - I can't understand you posts.
The P4-NW is gonna suddenly get a higher IPC that takes on the Athlons and Thoroughbreds at once.. If Intel could lift their IPC to even match AMD, together with a 2.2GHz debut clock, they'd blow AMD away.

fortunately for AMD, you are either severely mis-informed or your using tech. terms that you know nothing about.

And WHY o' why do YOU expect delays on barton.. is this a fact in ANY sense of the word.. or just an random opinion.

As for
"Tullosh/Northwood who suppost to be the grave of AMD.Now Northwood/Brookdale-D so amd can survive. "

maybe I'm being dumb, but that makes no sense to me at all.

***CONFUSED***

I spilled coffee all over my wife's nighty... ...serves me right for wearing it?!?

eden

Champion
See, the thing is, people are hyping WAY TOO MUCH about the NW.
I first was when I heard of it, but as it turns out, it is nothing more. Hell I doubt they remade the FPU or anything. And so far we are thinking it's so good, but geez look at the MHZ difference! I mean the latest AXP is clocked 1.6GHZ, it is of no doubt the 2.2GHZ has to win at some point. So frankly it's not cuz it has so much MHZ and that it improved over normal P4s, that it's this much. Until they refine it to a very strong IPC like AMD, I will never be convinced to get any Intel processor in the near future, or may never will. Those guys have given up on hard work, and are relying on fools of the OEM market, which will one day see AMD when they decide to begin adds. I am REALLY REALLY angry and disappointed at Intel. This is not worth the money, or the damn performance.
And what makes me happy though, is that the PR rating is helping AMD indeed. Their shares of this quarter have risen a lot since the AXP, because fools are already beleiving the rating's false mhz. This helps in a way to control the crowd until they can find a way to get high mhz high IPC performance like they always did, to match Intel. Then Intel will have an EXTREMLY hard time to keep up. It would need a 3 GHZ to top back an AXP at 2.2GHZ 0.13m if it was possible. Sadly not yet....

Enjoy your trip Intel fools, soon AMD will come back with the technology needed.

PS: Not flaming Intel in any way, I am simply angry at them for now. Btw, I am on a P2 350 and I think the P2 is by far the best processor. It opens sometimes faster than a P4 IMO, and that is a granted gift! It also performs better than a P3 sometimes.

--
The other day I heard an explosion from the other side of town.... It was a 486 booting up...