1800+ @ 2000+ ?

G

hi everybody!

i know, this might sound like a naive question, but im not very experienced in overclocking.
i will get an athlon XP1800+ a Noiseblocker Blacknoise Gladiator Pro VAS4, and an EPoX 8kha+
now my question is: will i be able to run my cpu @ 2000+, without it getting fried?? Or would it be better to run it @ 1900+ ?

thx for any answers
FrEaKy

if you find any spelling errors you can keep them

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
overclocking isn't an exact science, if you got some kind of "low noise" fan, chances are its not powerful enough for overclocking. Also depending on your luck you might get a CPU that will overclock quite nicely, or you might get a chip that doesn't want to go much higher than stock speed.
I had a Tbird 700 back in the day that SHOULD have gone up to 850 MHz or higher through multiplier adjustment, and highest I could get it was 800. I also know a guy that runs a 1 GHz AXIA stepping Tbird at 1.5 GHz, and another friend with a 1.2 GHz AXIA stepping that can't even run 1.3 stable. Just test it out when you get it and see how high it'll go, but MAKE SURE you watch your CPU temperatures. Try and keep below 60 degrees Celsius.

Welcome to the end of your life Mr. Intel CPU. Don't worry I promise its going to hurt.

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I heard that you have to take your AXP to your local auto detailer and get it defrosted and only then you can have an extra 66Mhz(or 133 in your case?)???

I am not really sure as the link keeps moving around when I try to click on it???

but check out thg's unlocking the AXP article maybe you don't need the trip.

"<b>AMD/VIA!</b>...you are <i>still</i> the weakest link, good bye!"

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
depending on the mother board MSI you can clock your fsb to 140 or 144 which would show your cpu as being 1900 and 2000. But keep a eye on the temp

G

>>depending on the mother board MSI you can clock your fsb
>>to 140 or 144 which would show your cpu as being 1900 and
>>2000. But keep a eye on the temp

First of all, i don't know what an MSI is, but i've heard that o/cing with the FSB, could damage the rams (and since i only have "no name" rams im not sure if they can take it). have you got any additional info on that?!

thx

if you find any spelling errors you can keep them

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
How come poeple are unlcoking theres with 8 dollar silver pens at anandtech, and just because frank vokel refuses to up the fsb and runs out of multipliers on the board he was working on, oh, and uses a freaking silverado lol, dosent mean you will only get 66mhz meltdown.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

svol

Champion
MSI is a motherboard manufacturer like Asus, Abit, Gigabyte, Epox, etc.

You have to be lucky to have your generic ram running at 140 MHz, if you want serious FSB overclocking you better choose branded memory like Crucial, Corsair, Mushkin.
You also could buy 150 MHz for SDRAM and PC2400 (or higher) for DDR RAM memory sticks which will run at FSB's around the 150 MHz.
Increasing your FSB also means increasing the PCI and AGP speed, some components can't handle very high PCI/AGP speed and your system will be getting instable.

If you want to OC the FSB you better OC it with a couple of MHz each time and check if your system runs stable. If it runs stable you increase another bit, and if it don't you set it a couple of MHz lower.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek: .

G

If you buy a 1800+ you should be able to overclock it somewhere around 1.8GHz (2100+) with a good HSF combo. I suggest the Thermalright SK6 with some Arctic Silver II, a 60mm to 80mm fan funnel adapter and a 80mm Mechatronics fan (53 cfm without noise).

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A silverado is a great coller...up untill 1.2ghz tbirds, once you get beyond that the low flow fan just wont cut it.

Him trying to do 1700mhz with a silverado just shows his level of overclocking incompetence.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A silverado is a great cooler...up untill 1.2ghz tbirds, once you get beyond that the low flow fan just wont cut it.

Him trying to do 1700mhz with a silverado just shows his level of overclocking incompetence.