Mandrake 8.1 easier than Win-XP

:)

"Mandrake 8.1 easier than Win-XP
By Thomas C Greene in Washington
Posted: 18/12/2001 at 01:23 GMT

Windows addicts curious to see how the other half lives but wary of the installation challenges Linux is supposed to present will find Mandrake 8.1 considerably easier to install and configure than Win-XP. It's quite nearly Harry Homeowner-proof.

Ready for some cultural tourism? No need to hesitate; the full Pro package sells for a mere $150.00, compared with XP's $300, so it's hardly a major investment even if you should run home to Redmond in the end.

Installation
The Mandrake installation beats even SuSE's, which is relatively comprehensive and trouble-free. The first issue for me was whether I'd get the same fatal read-errors I got from Red Hat and SuSE with my CD-ROMs set to cable select, as the Dell factory likes them. This is important because Compaq, Gateway and HP also like this arrangement, and Harry is most likely using an OEM box.

With Red Hat the installation failed, and the documentation was inadequate to sort out the issue. With SuSE it failed as well, but the YaST installer prominently offers a safe-mode installation, and the documentation prominently urges this whenever there's a problem. The user may never know why his first attempt failed, but his second will go all right so long as he follows directions.

Again I set up my two CD-ROMs and two HDDs with cable select, and ran Mandrake's DrakX installer. It handled the CS arrangement flawlessly. I was so surprised that later I switched everything back to master/slave configs and re-installed, but that worked fine as well.

So on the Harry test I give an F to Red Hat for having no knowledge of the CS issue and no useful recommendations; a C+ to SuSE for making it easy for Harry to get it right the second time around; and an A to Mandrake for having no such issue at all.

The second issue for me is my networking scheme, which, while not quite an out-of-the-box setup, is by no means over the top. Perhaps a bit eccentric by Harry standards, I'll allow.

I'm using a DSL modem, ethernet cards and a router to connect my machines to Verizon's DSL service. I need a PPPoE client running. Red Hat took me hours to configure; and SuSE never did work due to some lame-assed PPPoE client I was told to fetch from their Web site (hello!). Win-XP never worked either, because it was convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that it had already installed all the software needed to run my hardware and arrogantly refused to be corrected.

And Mandrake? It detected my ethernet card correctly, and when I installed ADSL it popped in a handy PPPoE client and connected the first time. I mean, immediately after configuring it, without any subsequent tweaking.

As for other hardware detection, Mandrake was infallible. The drives; the wheel-mouse, the keyboard, the monitor, the video card (nVidia Ge-Force AGP 64 MB), the sound card (SoundBlaster Live), all of it. All I had to do was confirm its choices every now and then.

Disk partitioning and formatting is an absolute breeze in expert mode, with a graphical menu showing all your hard drives and partitions. You just click to select a partition or a chunk of free space, and it's selected in the configuration menu. It's a mousey affair, with little sliders to set the partition sizes. (Mousey is OK with me, as is texty; what irritates me is a combination where I'm shifting back and forth between mouse and keyboard.)

Video gremlin
Ah, but there had to be at least one hitch. The driver for my video card with hardware acceleration which I was offered froze my machine during the boot and nothing could make it start, not even a boot floppy.

There was an "experimental" driver which I didn't try. The one I did try wasn't flagged for danger, but should have been. So I had to use the driver without hardware acceleration which worked fine, and then download the right RPM from nVidia's Web site. Not a lot of trouble, but this is precisely the sort of little oversight which will drive poor Harry to distraction; and it's the only thing I encountered during several different Mandrake installations which mars an otherwise outstanding Linux eXPerience.

What to expect
There will of course be some trade-offs if you migrate from Windows. You'll loose the Microsoft puppy yapping at your heels, harranguing you to 'activate' and get a Passport. You'll finally be permitted to configure your machine pretty well as you please, which may take some getting used to.

But regardless of whether you choose to run KDE or Gnome, the Linux desktop definitely isn't as pretty. It's more configurable, certainly; the OS is more stable; you get lots of free applications and utilities; and your machine will be a lot more secure, if for no reason other than your immediate escape from that premium virus propagator Outlook.

If you're into graphics work, Linux is not your environment. But then you're already using a Mac. If you're heavily into games, then you're definitely stuck with Windows. Linux's multimedia support is crude out of the box, but there are heaps of applications and codecs for download, so this limitation can be overcome.

So what's it good for? Everyday chores with a lot less noise and nonsense, especially those related to the Internet. It's a fine choice if you want to surf the Web and take control of the information you're leaving behind, and which Web sites are leaving on your machine; it's good for using e-mail with far fewer malware dangers (start by displaying all received messages as text only); and of course it works well for chatting and trading files with your friends on line.

In other words, it's better at most of what the majority of Windows addicts use their computers for: wasting time on line.

Office applications are adequate, but not great. Personally I never use anything but a text editor, though many people seem to relish the distractions of word-processors and spreadsheets. Here you have several choices, none of which is as slick as its MS Office counterpart. Sun's StarOffice 5.2 is particularly loathsome, but recent reports indicate that version 6.0, due out in early 2002, marks a giant step forward.

Of course Linux is a great development platform if you like to roll your own progies, and perfect if you want to run a little Web or FTP server off your home machine. It's far cheaper, simpler and safer than using IIS over NT or 2K. (Also excellent in the enterprise space, but that's another story.)

Other virtues include the simple pleasure of 'getting clean' following years of addiction to the Microsoft upgrade dependency scam. The sweet sensation of rehabilitation alone is worth the purchase price.

If you'd like to eXPerience that sensation, Mandrake 8.1 is, hands down, the easiest way to get started. "

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/23436.html

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
This stuff doesn't belong in the cpu forum.

ALso, linux is crap. AT least with windows you don't have to recompile things when a new version comes out.

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>

so you like giving your paycheck to microsoft then? You might wanna learn linux! As it keeps getting better

Don't be surprised when microsoft incorporates a yearly license fee of 100 bucks to run windows!

as for your recompiling BS. Have you ever used linux at all? Just wondering.

At least with linux you don't have to suck Bill Gates dick to run your computer!

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
One major flaw, Legacy hardware support.

I often run across PCI cards that are not supported by Linux. 3 options, Pull card, Ignore card, scrap Linux.

FatBurger

Illustrious
Don't be surprised when microsoft incorporates a yearly license fee of 100 bucks to run windows!

I've seen that rumor more times than the "Send this to 20 people with a Hotmail account so we know you're active, or you'll be deleted".

Give me a break. A coworker went to a seminar in August (I think it was August) that was only about Microsoft's licensing plans. They specifically said that they had no future plans to go to a yearly fee, because it'd be suicide.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
Forget legacy fugger, there isnt even decent support for CURRENT hardware, im sorry but running my gf3 at tnt2 ultra speeds with some 1337 hax0r's home made driver does NOT make me wanna rush on the linux bandwagon.

Tom did a recent article where he compared like 10 soundcards, and not a single one had drivers for linux. Damn shame.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!

ya but it can only get better. And what do you want for free? You can download it for free. If you have broadband anyway.

i'd start to learn it along side with windows. When bill gate$ mentiones yearly $100 licensing fees that scares me.

Intel_inside

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2001
It can only get better?

we already have better: windows.

You won't win much linux sympathy here, this board is generally gamers and power users, who want their new hardware to actually be supported.

<i>Mommy that dog is trying to jump over that other dog but he keeps not making it</i>

FatBurger

Illustrious
When has Bill Gates mentioned yearly licensing.
And what does the $100 cover? I'd gladly pay $100 a year to use any and all of their software I wanted.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

Ya i'm sure they will find a way. Where there is a will there is always a way. If there was no will there would be no mention of it.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 12/19/01 03:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

i read it somewhere and can't find it. it was just for the OS.

Just the fact you said you would be willing to do it tells me we are in a lot of trouble in the future. Before you know it every software will have a yearly licensing fee.

Just my prediction because users are stupid enough to accept it.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
FUGGER:
If you find the following comment insulting, <b>too damn bad.</b> :wink:

The "legacy hardware" support is BS. A lot of my hardware is ancient, but all of it works in Linux--including an old EtherExpress 16 ISA card that Win2K just can't handle.

Matisaro:
If you find the following comment insulting, please accept my apologies.

Companies often release drivers for Linux, they just don't make a big fuss about it. Creative has <A HREF="http://opensource.creative.com" target="_new">http://opensource.creative.com</A>, and Adaptec has <A HREF="http://linux.adaptec.com" target="_new">http://linux.adaptec.com</A>. nVidia and Intel both release Linux drivers for their products; I use an Intel PRO/1000 driver and nVidia's Linux driver.

As for the GeForce3 running at TNT2 speeds...that's a bit of an <A HREF="http://www.evil3d.net/articles/linux/pageflip/?page=4.php3" target="_new">exaggeration</A>. In some cases it runs faster than it does in Windows.

Oh, and don't knock us "l33t hax0rs" and our <A HREF="http://mondo-daemon.sourceforge.net/" target="_new">home made drivers</A>. A lot of them work pretty damn good. :wink:

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

G

It can only get better?
we already have better: windows.
You won't win much linux sympathy here, this board is generally gamers and power users, who want their new hardware to actually be supported.
Mmmm, It appears your posts can only get worse.
I would class developers as "power users", wouldnt you? Obviously not. But then, "development" is only something that those imaginary peeple do isnt it? Also, those people that have something other than an Intel or AMD inside are what, imaginary also? You dont consider users of Alpha, Sparc systems etc. "power users"?
I had a feeling that you were just an ignorant Windozer, now you have proved yourself. So, recompiling software is a disadvantage? lol, just proves you know jack sh*t about Linux (Or software in general for that matter). Therefore, you are in NO position to make any ignorant comments about Linux. Open your tiny, narrow mind to the whole picture and
stick to what you know best; trivial arguements about CPUs.

PS
My SB Live Platinium sound card works fine under Linux.
<font color=red>alere flamman</font color=red>

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Im not insulted... It seems we play with more hardware than you. too often I come across PCI cards that do not have Linux drivers.

Not everyone can write their own driver on the fly.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey you don't have to convince me! I love Linux. I've got Mandrake 8.0. I'm really new at it though, and sometimes I do get pretty frustrated. For example:

1. I still haven't been able to get my zip drive to work.
2. I still can't print to my Win98 box printer
3. My scroll wheel on my mouse still doesn't work

As soon as I graduate and I'm not afraid to lose all of my important data, I'm going to start all over with 8.1. I've got a LONG way to go to fully understanding the intracies of Linux, but I really can't wait. I think learning Linux will really help me to understand computers better. Who knows maybe I'll be able to write my own Linux drivers one day!

BTW, Linux rocks for doing research work (thesis)- especially LaTeX.

GO LINUX!

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I would be willing if it was all their software for $100/year. If it was too much more, or too little of their software, I wouldn't.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
1) <A HREF="http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html" target="_new">http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/ZIP-Drive.html</A>

2) Samba setup, perhaps? I could take days going over possible Samba misconfigurations...

3) If you're using XFree86 4.x, a section of my XF86Config might help you some:

<pre>Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"
Option "Device" "/dev/psmouse"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
Option "Resolution" "200"
EndSection
</pre><p>ZAxisMapping and the Protocol setting are the important parts for scroll wheels. The options are similar for XF86 3.3.x, but the syntax is different. =/

(See, Intel_Inside was actually right about one thing--this isn't the section for it. =/)

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kelledin on 12/19/01 04:31 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
this board is generally...power users (windowze)
MMmmhahahahahahhahahhahammahahahh!!!!!!!!! HWooooohooO!!!
"Windows" & "Power Users"
That was the funniest sh!t I have ever heard!!! Hey man, do you know anything about ANYTHING??!!! LOL!!!
One of the reasons why Linux is Open-Source is so that <b>POWER USERS</b> can go "under the hood" and and tweak <b>EVERYTHING</b>--from memory allocation to kernal configuration. Can you do that with windoze?--don't think so....all you can do is mess with the registry...even doing that won't warrant you the title of being a 'Power User'. Too bad ignorant kids like you still think Linux is as difficult to use as flying a space ship. Go back to your Compaq machine that your mommy bought for you that came preinstalled with Windowze and have fun watching BSOD.

d4n13l: you took the words right out of my mouth! =)

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by STICK_e_MOUSE on 12/19/01 02:39 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
BTW: You won't win much sympathy here, this board is for people who actually KNOWS, or wants to learn, stuff about Computer hardware & software....not make stupid assumptions like you just did.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!

G

w00t!
:D
YOU took the words right out of my mouth dude.
Lest we forget:
The learning curve for Windoze is steep but shallow, the learning curve for a system like Linux is gradual but goes a thousand times higher than that of Windoze.
Given its so widespread, 99.9% of Windozers mindsets mirror its learning curve (Yes, you are part of that 99.9% Intel_Inside)
:smile:
Intel_Inside is like dev/zero - just gives you null information.

starbucksaddict

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2001
We just finished a month long section on Mandrake 8.1
and there is a few things we learned:

1) 95% of computers at the server level and above run UNIX/Linux

2)You can install Linux on everything from a 386 with a floppy
to a 10,000 node SPARC supercluster.

3)If you don't buy get the manual or buy the O'Rielly books, you're screwed
'cause the HOW-TO's and man pages were written by geeks for geeks

4)When PROPERLY configured, crashes and reboots are virtually non-existent.

5)It's going to take at least another 5 years before a distro is out
that Joe Blow off the street can configure PROPERLY.

Flame not, lest ye be flamed.

G

What rubbish!
I have it from a "good source" that Linux is "crap"
Here, I will quote them:
ALso, linux is crap. AT least with windows you don't have to recompile things when a new version comes out.
<by Intel_Inside>
This guy obviously knows what he is talking about.
J/K
:wink:
lol

hehe ya. I got a copy from my dad who got a copy from his boss of mandrake linux 8.1. I can't wait to try it out. First i have to buy a router though. lol using that computer i wanted to use as a linux box as a router right now lol.

lol i can't believe how ignorant some of these users are who think they know everything lol. It's pretty funny. But ya i heard linux 8.1 is completely different then 8.0. might be worth it to switch. *shrugs* or not i don't know.
windoze is the best OS ever lol. Thats pretty funny.

At UB we have spark stations and using CDE (NOT KDE) as the OS. That is such a nice OS! there are others but i forget what they are.

Stick_e_Mouse

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2001
Just to clear things out, CDE and KDE are not OSs--they are Desktop Environments (hence C<b>DE</b> and K<b>DE</b>).

"Windoze is the best OS"--ha ha, that is pretty funny.

TRENDING THREADS