USB Mouse suddenly stopped working in Windows 7 on a Toshiba Satellite

Moobu

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hi, I was playing League of Legends when this happened and when the game loaded into the world the mouse just stopped responding and never kicked back on.

I've restarted the computer, pulled the battery for a few minutes, turned legacy usb on/off, right click and uninstalled all universal USB controllers (then restarted to get windows to reinstall them), tried different mice on the problem computer, tried the mouse on a different computer (it worked), pretty much every solution i've found on the internet so far from people with similar issues of usb mice/keyboards suddenly stopping and never coming back using windows 7.

I consider myself above average for tech lingo so don't hold back with the technical solutions! I'm actually going to go to toshiba's website and check if they have any drivers that I could download/update.

Moobu

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
One two model yes, on another microsoft model no. I've tried 3 separate mice so far.. a Razer Naga, an older logitech wireless dongle model (the one i've been using with the computer for years), and a newer wireless microsoft dongle mouse.

Off Topic: Is that a peach faced lovebird? Or some kind of fancy finch? Can't really tell from the small picture.

Do other usb devices (ie thumbdrive) work in the USB slot, if they do it's pobably not the USB driver.

Wondering if there is a setting to disable usb mouse so that only the touchpad can be used. There is a way of disabling the touchpad when an external mouse is used (windows 7) - so not sure if visa versa.

Moobu

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Checking with an external HDD now. I was wondering the same thing about the settings but would that make sense for it to just randomly happen shortly after switching to a full screen application?

Edit: The external HDD connects just fine. So I guess it isn't the USB drivers. I'm stumped on this one.

Normally NOT, but anything is possible.

On using a HDD in usb 2 port. Recommend using a powered enclosure or a powered hub. USB 2 is limited to 0.5 Amps which is only 2.5 Watts. Many HDD will draw more tan this starting up and when read/write is inprogress. So this would not be a good check of the USB +5 output. It will check the data lines.

NO link This person solved his problem (Mouse stoped working By "I booted with Windows 7 dvd and chose repair. before doing anything else rebooted and after that mouse worked fine"

Also found that seveal people with this problem - Remove Battery and disconnect ac adaptor, leave for 15 Minutes. Re-install batery and power on.

Link to this problem seems as it it a lott more common than I would like to think. and does point to a windows 7 problem that uSoft has not addressed.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=2&gs_ri=serp&gs_mss=usb%20mouse%20not%20working%20in%20wi&pq=turn%20off%20touchpad%20when%20usb%20mouse%20is%20installed&cp=34&gs_id=2v&xhr=t&q=usb+mouse+not+working+in+windows+7&es_nrs=true&pf=p&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&oq=usb+mouse+not+working+in+windows+7&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=c8b88a3765d2a710&biw=1120&bih=764

Cut to the chase and just do a fresh install, if its still not working you have a faulty mainboard, provided the devices all work on another pc.

You could try the usual CHKDSK and SFC commands (in windows), or if you more advanced try stealing the USB HID/Mouse driver from Windows its self and force update the mouse device over its self (yes this can work).

This is not a "common windows 7 problem" the only common thing is clutter, failing hardware, corruption from power cuts etc

scout_03, do not think battery or pwr switch is problem - He tried it on a 2nd computer and it worked.

apache_lives while I agree it's not a "common" problem as I said "a lot more common than I would like to think"
Probably should have phrased it better. But I was surprised at the Number of people reporing this - kind of more than the Blue moon - LOL.

Moobu

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Got a Razer Naga to finally recognize and install. Followed by the Microsoft wireless mouse. Still no dice with the original wireless logitech G8 that I bought in 2008 though.

Scorched09

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

can you PLEASE tell me what you did to get the naga to work i have the exact same problem on a toshiba satelite playing lol and within 2 days of the time this was origionally posted; i have the naga and it just all of a sudden stopped, i instlled drivers likea million times and nothing please help i been mouseless this whole time q.q

might i add that im on windows 7 and the mouse will click on the icons on my main menu however if i click anything else i just get a flash from the icon like its been clicked but nothing opens as well as getting the scroll icon when i click on IE/ff/google chrome and its more then just my naga mouse q.q

ssglenn77

Honorable
Jan 20, 2014

I am new here and just wanted to thank Retired Chief for his help. My mouse stopped being recognized by my Windows 7/Dell Inspiron, though it worked fine on other computers. Other mice were not recognized either, but a thumb drive was. I did the "remove the battery/unplug the adapter for 15 minutes" solution, and it worked. Mice are recognized and functioning fine now. Many thanks for posting!

vanisharma

Reputable
Mar 3, 2014

The exact same thing happened to me while playing League... Thankyou so much for the suggestions people...

dtbradio

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I had the same mouse-stopped-working problem with a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 Ultimate. The 15-minute (6 hours overnight for me) battery removal trick did not work for me. I ended up uninstalling ALL USB roots, hubs, and devices in the USB section of the Device Manager (do NOT also delete drivers!!!), then rebooting. At first, Windows would not load, and the only boot options I saw were Start Normally, or Repair Startup. I forced power-down, then used the F8 key while powering/rebooting to get to the boot options page. I then booted in safe mode, no networking, and that seems to have worked. My mouse is now working again after a full, normal restart..

James Tindall

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I experienced a similar problem, with a unique cause/solution. I discovered that the computer had been dropped earlier, and as a result, the usb connection was slightly loose. I found that by pressing up slightly on the usb stick windows would suddenly recognize it. As a permenant fix I removed the usb stick, and using a pair of needle nose pliers GENTLY and CAREULLY bent the middle of the metal casing around the plastic connector inward ever so slightly, making sure not to put pressure on the plastic itself. Mouse works just fine now. I must stress that I confirmed a loose connection FIRST by wiggling the stick. If the status of the driver doesn't change when this is done DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS FIX