System starts with 3 beeps and there is no display on screen

Hello,
When i started my laptop this morning it gave three beeps and there was no display.I turned it off and restarted it but again i got three beeps.I didn't turned the laptop off and left for office.When i came back in evening and restarted it,it worked fine. Is there anything i can do to check what happened ?
I have Sony vio FZ-17G.It has core2duo T7300 processor,1GB ram and NVIDIA GeForce 8400GTGpu.
9 answers Last reply
More about system starts beeps display screen
  1. This topic has been moved from the section Graphics & Displays to section Laptops & Notebooks by Mousemonkey
  2. Hello deepakgera1;

3 beeps, you say? Can you match your beeps with these codes?
    http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/498/ss249.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  3. WR2 said:
    Hello deepakgera1;

3 beeps, you say? Can you match your beeps with these codes?
    http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/498/ss249.jpg
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Thanks for reply WR2.
    Yeah it is second one in ur table 1long 2 short. The thing is after the beeps there is no display but window boots up,i can hear the booting sound.Then i have to shut down the laptop 3-4 times.Some times it works some time it doesnt.Not sure what is happening.
  4. Take your laptop apart and check the videocard, it may be damaged or it's not plugged in correctly...
  5. THG article: Report: All Nvidia G84/G86 Chips Defective
    This probably applies to your NVIDIA GeForce 8400GTM graphics card.
  6. legendkiller said:
    Take your laptop apart and check the videocard, it may be damaged or it's not plugged in correctly...

It is integrated in circuit board.How can I check ? any ideas?
  7. WR2 said:
    THG article: Report: All Nvidia G84/G86 Chips Defective
    This probably applies to your NVIDIA GeForce 8400GTM graphics card.

Yeah may be it does.I found a article on sony website saying that these cards may or may not be defective.I contacted sony customer support,as expected no help from them.They are saying i have to replace complete board.Is there any solution u can suggest?
  8. Sony is correct. Only a motherboard replacement will correct the fault.
    You'll need to carefully evaluate the cost of repair against the cost of a new laptop.
  9. WR2 said:
    Sony is correct. Only a motherboard replacement will correct the fault.
    You'll need to carefully evaluate the cost of repair against the cost of a new laptop.

okay.
    Thanks for taking out time and replying.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Displays