chums of the homme-lizard

Wobbly greetings greasy chungster-fans,

Barry the Epic Gas-Spore Paladin waves his lance and says:
"MMnnnmNNNmNnnNNNnmNNNmmNnmm mnmNNmNN"

Translated:
If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there logically
be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs in
Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).

Ta!!

Robbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbshefieldssssss

"Murf" <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Wobbly greetings greasy chungster-fans,
>
> Barry the Epic Gas-Spore Paladin waves his lance and says:
> "MMnnnmNNNmNnnNNNnmNNNmmNnmm mnmNNmNN"
>
> Translated:
> If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
> temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
> monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there
> logically
> be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs
> in
> Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).
>
> Ta!!
>
> Robbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbshefieldssssss

Alligators, or Crocodiles? Maybe Fire bettles or some other large
insects
mostly poisonous so that the venom could be harvested for use on
Lizardfolk
weapons.

Small elementals as the Lizardfolk tribe is heavily rules by druids.

Kobolds but that would depend on how you view them. IN my world
Kobolds, Lizardfolk, and Troglydites or all related distantly to
dragons.
Kobolds view Lizardfolk as their larger more cunning cousins. Both
races view Trogs as throw backs to the days of innocent savagery.

Spiders might also be an idea.

Murf <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Wobbly greetings greasy chungster-fans,

>Barry the Epic Gas-Spore Paladin waves his lance and says:
>"MMnnnmNNNmNnnNNNnmNNNmmNnmm mnmNNmNN"

>Translated:
>If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
>temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
>monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there logically
>be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs in
>Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).

Well, I've always been a fan of domsesticated shocker
lizards. For lizardmen in a temple, a naga of some sort
seems good, or maybe some variety of giant snake.

~P.

Decaying Atheist wrote:
> "Murf" <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Wobbly greetings greasy chungster-fans,
>>
>>Barry the Epic Gas-Spore Paladin waves his lance and says:
>>"MMnnnmNNNmNnnNNNnmNNNmmNnmm mnmNNmNN"
>>
>>Translated:
>>If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
>>temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
>>monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there
>>logically
>>be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs
>>in
>>Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).
>>
>>Ta!!
>>
>>Robbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbshefieldssssss
>

> Alligators, or Crocodiles? Maybe Fire bettles or some other large
> insects
> mostly poisonous so that the venom could be harvested for use on
> Lizardfolk
> weapons.
>
> Small elementals as the Lizardfolk tribe is heavily rules by druids.
>
> Kobolds but that would depend on how you view them. IN my world
> Kobolds, Lizardfolk, and Troglydites or all related distantly to
> dragons.
> Kobolds view Lizardfolk as their larger more cunning cousins. Both
> races view Trogs as throw backs to the days of innocent savagery.

Bah. Kobolds are far brighter than the slow-witted lizardmen.

- Ron ^*^

Murf wrote:

> Wobbly greetings greasy chungster-fans,
>
> Barry the Epic Gas-Spore Paladin waves his lance and says:
> "MMnnnmNNNmNnnNNNnmNNNmmNnmm mnmNNmNN"
>
> Translated:
> If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
> temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
> monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there logically
> be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs in
> Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).
>
> Ta!!

MMIII has two variant lizardfolk, one Small and another Large. The
Large fellows are called Blackscale Lizardfolk. The smaller ones
(Poison Dusk) are cunning, quick, and use poison IIRC. I think they
might be based on Eberron.

Kroxigor are also Large, but from another game system. Mechanically
they might be slightly more intelligent owlbears in funny, scaly suits.

Draconomicon as a Draconic template that could be added to lizardman
leaders.

If these are evil lizardmen, a Black dragon might make an obvious
ally/leader.

- Ron ^*^

Werebat wrote:

> Murf wrote:
>
>> Wobbly greetings greasy chungster-fans,
>>
>> Barry the Epic Gas-Spore Paladin waves his lance and says:
>> "MMnnnmNNNmNnnNNNnmNNNmmNnmm mnmNNmNN"
>>
>> Translated:
>> If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
>> temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
>> monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there logically
>> be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs in
>> Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).
>>
>> Ta!!
>

> MMIII has two variant lizardfolk, one Small and another Large. The
> Large fellows are called Blackscale Lizardfolk. The smaller ones
> (Poison Dusk) are cunning, quick, and use poison IIRC. I think they
> might be based on Eberron.
>
> Kroxigor are also Large, but from another game system. Mechanically
> they might be slightly more intelligent owlbears in funny, scaly suits.
>
> Draconomicon as a Draconic template that could be added to lizardman
> leaders.
>
> If these are evil lizardmen, a Black dragon might make an obvious
> ally/leader.
>
> - Ron ^*^

It's kinda funny how the Poison Dusk are remarkably skinklike to the
generic Lizardman Saurus equivalent. Employing the two in a combination
similar to the not to be named tabletop game might make for a very
difficult encounter.

Getting constantly harrassed by fast moving poison users while
approaching a temple expecting to quickly polish them off when the
harrassers have no more ground to cover is a tactic that would work
against kobolds, but not against this particular team up. Once the
adventurers got to the temple, they'd have to hash out a very rough
stand up fight against the medium and large cold blooded brawlers, and
probably on short resources, as the harassers probably wouldn't allow
the party the rest necessary to recover their spells.

In article <1VIge.26762$Um.14720@lakeread08>,
Decaying Atheist <harker@coxdot.net> wrote:

>"Murf" <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
>> temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
>> monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there
>> logically
>> be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs
>> in Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).
>Alligators, or Crocodiles? Maybe Fire bettles or some other large
>insects
>mostly poisonous so that the venom could be harvested for use on
>Lizardfolk
>weapons.
>
>Small elementals as the Lizardfolk tribe is heavily rules by druids.
>
>Kobolds but that would depend on how you view them. IN my world
>Kobolds, Lizardfolk, and Troglydites or all related distantly to
>dragons.
>Kobolds view Lizardfolk as their larger more cunning cousins. Both
>races view Trogs as throw backs to the days of innocent savagery.
>
>Spiders might also be an idea.

These all make some sense as the smaller allied creatures, but it seems to me
the equivalent of a "frienly hill giant" would be a "tame" T-rex.

"David Alex Lamb" <dalamb@qucis.queensu.ca> wrote in message
> In article <1VIge.26762$Um.14720@lakeread08>,
> Decaying Atheist <harker@coxdot.net> wrote:
>>
>>"Murf" <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
>>> temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously
>>> be
>>> monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there
>>> logically
>>> be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that
>>> Orcs
>>> in Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).
>>Alligators, or Crocodiles? Maybe Fire bettles or some other large
>>insects
>>mostly poisonous so that the venom could be harvested for use on
>>Lizardfolk
>>weapons.
>>
>>Small elementals as the Lizardfolk tribe is heavily rules by druids.
>>
>>Kobolds but that would depend on how you view them. IN my world
>>Kobolds, Lizardfolk, and Troglydites or all related distantly to
>>dragons.
>>Kobolds view Lizardfolk as their larger more cunning cousins. Both
>>races view Trogs as throw backs to the days of innocent savagery.
>>
>>Spiders might also be an idea.
>
> These all make some sense as the smaller allied creatures, but it
> seems to me
> the equivalent of a "frienly hill giant" would be a "tame" T-rex.
> --
> "Yo' ideas need to be thinked befo' they are say'd" - Ian Lamb, age
> 3.5
> http://www.cs.queensu.ca/~dalamb/ qucis->cs to reply (it's a long
> story...)

How about advanced Shambling Mounds and Shocker lizards :)

Raphael Russell wrote:
> Werebat wrote:
>

>> Murf wrote:
>>
>>> Wobbly greetings greasy chungster-fans,
>>>
>>> Barry the Epic Gas-Spore Paladin waves his lance and says:
>>> "MMnnnmNNNmNnnNNNnmNNNmmNnmm mnmNNmNN"
>>>
>>> Translated:
>>> If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
>>> temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
>>> monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there logically
>>> be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs in
>>> Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).
>>>
>>> Ta!!
>>

>> MMIII has two variant lizardfolk, one Small and another Large. The
>> Large fellows are called Blackscale Lizardfolk. The smaller ones
>> (Poison Dusk) are cunning, quick, and use poison IIRC. I think they
>> might be based on Eberron.
>>
>> Kroxigor are also Large, but from another game system. Mechanically
>> they might be slightly more intelligent owlbears in funny, scaly suits.
>>
>> Draconomicon as a Draconic template that could be added to lizardman
>> leaders.
>>
>> If these are evil lizardmen, a Black dragon might make an obvious
>> ally/leader.
>>
>> - Ron ^*^
>>
> It's kinda funny how the Poison Dusk are remarkably skinklike to the
> generic Lizardman Saurus equivalent. Employing the two in a combination
> similar to the not to be named tabletop game might make for a very
> difficult encounter.
>
> Getting constantly harrassed by fast moving poison users while
> approaching a temple expecting to quickly polish them off when the
> harrassers have no more ground to cover is a tactic that would work
> against kobolds, but not against this particular team up. Once the
> adventurers got to the temple, they'd have to hash out a very rough
> stand up fight against the medium and large cold blooded brawlers, and
> probably on short resources, as the harassers probably wouldn't allow
> the party the rest necessary to recover their spells.

I also thought the Poison Dusk and Blackscale were thrown in as homage
to a certain game. Hmm. Someday I'll have to post my skaven stats here.

- Ron ^*^

"Murf" <rob_murfin@hotmail.com> typed:

>If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
>temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
>monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there logically
>be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs in
>Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).

Depends on the PC level. Dragonkin (Monsters of Faerun) might be OK.
Or see Wyvernkin on my website. Or Yuan-ti.

Given that reptiles in general grow until they die, you might just
have one or two elder lizardfolk that are much, much bigger. This
might alternatively be the result of weird magic from the old temple.

--
Jim or Sarah Davies, but probably Jim

D&D and Star Fleet Battles stuff on http://www.aaargh.org

Murf wrote:

> If I'm writing a mod featuring a lizardman tribe living in a old
> temple, what would their allied critters be? There will obviously be
> monitor lizards (for riding and love) what else would there logically
> be? Would they have something big a scary (in the same way that Orcs in
> Gygax mods seemed to have a friendly hill giant or ogre).

Khaasta?

--
Christopher Adams - Sydney, Australia
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you

Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the
leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked,
and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to
danger. It works the same in any country.