Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 64-bit restarts upon login after installing GPU drivers

Last response: in Windows 7
February 12, 2013 5:40:24 PM

Alright. Yesterday my computer randomly crashed, which was odd, then it crashed a few more times. Now, today, it won't pass the login screen, after typing my password it just restarts the computer. So I grabbed my Windows 7 CD and reinstalled it, and then it worked, I then installed my motherboard drivers, and it still worked. Then I installed the GPU drivers. At that point is when it started restarting upon login again, after I installed the GPU drivers, and I'm sure they're the right drivers. They're the same ones I've been using for a while. My GPU is an Nvidia GeForce GTX 570, I downloaded the drivers from the nvidia website for the GeForce 500 series. However, I luckily had Ubuntu installed secondary, and it works fine at my GPU's full resolution. So I'm fairly sure something is wrong with my Windows registry or something. And I have no idea what to do about it. Any help would be appreciated.

If it helps, I acquired a virus maybe a week ago, I forgot what it was called, it was like ATRAP/gen2 or something, it was a bad one, but I managed (or so I thought) to get rid of it. Is it this coming back to haunt me?
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 12, 2013 6:18:18 PM

Did you do a clean install or some type of repair install? I would work on the virus and malware issue, where there's one there are often more. Download the free Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10, burn it to a CD and boot from it to do a full scan. It's found things for me in the past on machines that I thought I had fully cleaned.

m
l
February 13, 2013 6:34:25 PM

I'm kinda having the same issue, but I've read that it is my SM Bus Controller driver that is causing it.... Seems to only be with the Asus motherboards though...
m
l
Related resources
February 13, 2013 10:13:48 PM

I'm going to try that Kaspersky thing but now I'm starting to think it's some RAM going bad or possible my PSU. Earlier today the system fan (thankfully this case had a secondary one) wires were glowing red hot and were ******* melted, so now that fan is useless. I'm trying to figure out if it's the ram first of all though.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 13, 2013 10:32:25 PM

MEMTEST86 is a very good memory diagnostic and is free. What size PSU is in there?
m
l
February 22, 2013 9:23:38 PM

RealBeast said:
MEMTEST86 is a very good memory diagnostic and is free. What size PSU is in there?

My PSU is 600 watts and I run a GeForce GTX 570 GPU and an i7 3770k CPU. The thing is though that Ubuntu doesn't restart randomly, at least it hasn't yet, and windows does it fairly quickly, mainly when running minecraft. I still need to do more testing such as simply running windows normally to see how long it takes until it crashes because running minecraft may or may not be a problem due to a damaged PSU. And according to memtest my ram is good.
m
l
!