Sign in with
Your question

Help with new system

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2001 6:18:15 PM

Hi everyone. I'm thinking of building a new system.(I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, wasn't really sure where to put it). I was just wondering what kind of motherboard,processor,etc. the folks of the THG forums would recommend. I'm trying to stay relatively cheap (being a poor college student and all that), but I'd also like to be able to play games. I don't know how to overclock,although I'd like to learn. Any input would be most welcome. Even from trolls :smile:
I was kind of leaning toward a SiS735 K7S5A with maybe a Duron(but I don't know much about Durons). Thanks ahead of time.

I'd rather be rich than stupid. :eek: 

More about : system

December 20, 2001 6:27:27 PM

I would strongly recommend that you avoid the K7S5A. That motherboard has an extremely high DOA rate.

If you want the best price/performance motherboard, I would recommend the EPoX 8KHA+ (based on the VIA KT266A). The absolute fastest uniprocessor Athlon motherboard is the Asus A7V266-E; the EPoX is right on its tail performance-wise and sports more overclocking features. The Abit KR7A motherboard comes in right behind the EPoX motherboard.

Kelledin
[dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 20, 2001 6:42:44 PM

Whoa, thanks for the quick response time, and suggestion.

Related resources
December 21, 2001 10:55:02 AM

If the price between the Duron and the Athlon XP is not a big difference I would go for the Athlon because they have better performance then the Duron, although they are a little more expensive.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
December 21, 2001 7:13:27 PM

are you sure about that?isnt the price relatively bigger on the athlon but then the performance is bigger?althogh it is more expansive, with the duron it does cost less..

>| damn your a smart joe! you must be one of those P4 buyers..

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
December 23, 2001 7:24:59 AM

The Athlon XP is faster then the Duron, so if the price of the Athlon is not that much higher as a Duron then go for the Athlon.

And I'm NOT a P4 buyer, I have an Athlon T-bird 1.4 GHz.

My case has so many fans that it hovers above the ground :eek:  .
December 23, 2001 11:38:12 AM

I suggest the K7S5A & the XP1600.

Both come at a good price. Just built one. The speed is very fast.

I realise people have complained about the ECS mobo a lot, but I found it to be very easy to put together. 2 jumpers, a quick visit to BIOS and that's it.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
December 23, 2001 2:50:57 PM

---no response---

<font color=green>
*K.I.S.S*
*(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
</font color=green>
December 23, 2001 6:20:40 PM

The ecs board sucks ass, it isnt a matter of being hard to get working, its a matter of being hard to find one which works at all!

If you get a good k7s5a then you are lucky and will have a nice system, but those of us who got 4, COUNT EM 4, doa k7s5a's will not reccomend that motherboard to anyone. Especially a person new to computers.

"The Cash Left In My Pocket,The BEST Benchmark"
No Overclock+stock hsf=GOOD!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 24, 2001 1:05:36 PM

Thank you all for the responses. I hadn't heard about the problems with the k75a, I'd just read the Tom's review on it and it sounded like a good deal. I'm just wondering if I can put together a decent gaming/multimedia center for <1k
(remember, poor college student). Thanks again

December 24, 2001 1:58:55 PM

I put together a quick system...how about this:

1. A7V266-E: $170.00
2. AMD XP 1600: $142.00
3. 256Mb PC2100, Crucial: $66.00
4. Chassis (mid-tower): $50.00
5. Windows XP: $100.00
6. Sound Blaster LIVE!: $34.00
7. Altec Lansing speakers: $17.50
8. Wester Dig. 20Gb, 7200rpm: $80.50
9. Asus 50x Cdrom, $45.00
10. 17" viewsonic, .25dp: $195.00

TOTAL: $1061.00

This would be a nice set-up. Although, I usually go with a good 19" monitor. We could easily adjust a few things to bring in below $1000 INCLUDIING tax...

What do you guys think? Note, didn't know whether you needed a modem or ethernet...

Prices are from 5'oclock computers...a store I usually buy from in Dayton.

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.
December 24, 2001 4:43:45 PM

I've seen several good 17" monitors for around 150.00

How long will it take for bill to make a stable and secure os?
15 years and counting!
December 24, 2001 4:56:00 PM

I heard ya, lound and clear.
I might get that damn mobo, but this is what i would do:
- Make sure the pc shop will exchange fast and no bla bla bla
- Get my setup, setup in a way as to be able to quikly check the new mobo without any hashel.
BTW, is it possible to "quikly" check the mobo? What if it's a damn sleeping defect that only pops up after a few weeks, or months. Um ! Not sure good idea anymore. Any thoughts on this ?

Danny

Duby the snake now has a brand new skin :lol: 
December 24, 2001 7:51:45 PM

$150.00 isn't bad. But in my opinion, I'd pay >$300.00 for a top end 19" monitor. After you have to stare at the thing right? And when you upgrade 3 times, you'll still be using the same monitor, more than likely. So I say splurge on the monitor purchase more than anything else!

Catheter and Caffeine IV are in place. Let's PLAY.
December 24, 2001 8:32:14 PM

Pike to test the ecs mobo, you set it up and turn it on, if it boots thats fine, let windows load up etc, then shut it down and IMMEDIATLY turn it back on, if it boots try one more time, and if you get 3 boots then I would take it home.

If even once you hit the power and everything spins up but nothing happens, can that bitch its done.

December 24, 2001 9:37:04 PM

yah good point but I got mine for 150 and it runs fine at 1024 x 768 @ 85hz and it looks damn good.

How long will it take for bill to make a stable and secure os?
15 years and counting!
December 24, 2001 9:41:19 PM

Souns good to me.
Thanks

Pike

Duby the snake now has a brand new skin :lol: 
December 25, 2001 1:19:29 AM

I'd suggest something else other than that SB Live, like a Santa Cruz or Aureal Vortex2 (if you can find one). SB Live sound cards have been pretty crappy.

As for a hard drive, I'd go with an 20GB IBM 60GXP for $77 at <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa..." target="_new">Newegg.com</A>.

And, if you could fork over $35 more, you can get a <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufa..." target="_new">Lite-On 24x10x40 CD writer</A>. It's an awesome burner.

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/btvillarin" target="_new">My Website</A> - updated basically everyday.
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2001 2:46:24 AM

Let me tell you a little secret about the idiots on this forum...they've been getting fvcked by VIA so long that they're begining to like it. I would recommend that anyone who doesn't have experience working around VIA's problems avoid them. Lot's of guys have given up nice parts because they don't work with VIA systems. No good reason for that. Get the K7S5A, if you get a dud, get a free replacement. It's a good price, great performance, and no VIA problems.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 25, 2001 8:11:26 AM

What if you get 4 duds, and imagine if you got them online, crash you of ALL people should not reccomend that damn motherboard, there are plenty of other non via mobos which dont suck as much ass as the k7s5a, and you know it!

Furthermore on the via issue, they had their moments, but the bugs are pretty much gone from their new line of chipsets.

STAY AWAY from the ecs k7s5a, I tell you from experience, that board and its company have [-peep-] quality control, I got 4 doa boards, thank goodness I got them from my local frys which is only an hours drive away, if I had gotten them online I would have had to wait 2 weeks+ PER BOARD! and woudl have paid out the ass for return shipping.

ANY MOBO IS BETTER THAN THAT ONE!

a b à CPUs
December 25, 2001 4:17:50 PM

Well, their only running about a 10% defect rate, so your a very unlucky person. I'll be the first to admit that 10% is normally unexcusable, but considering how cheap these are, and how well they work (when non-defective), and the fact that once you get a good one you'll likely never have another problem...well, until more manufacturers start using this chipset, or the 745, options are limmited. ALi boards are good too, I might get an XP333.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
December 25, 2001 9:08:52 PM

Now they are running at 10%, but their first revision had reports of over 30%, if you want to order a mobo online and take a 1 in 3 chance of it being doa and having to wait 3 weeks for a rma, then go for it, imo even 1 in 10 is totally unacceptable.

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2001 8:28:08 PM

I've been looking around at different reviews for other motherboards. What is this forum's general view of the Shuttle AK31? Its newegg reviews looked pretty good, but I don't know if I can trust that......
Oh well, thanks for all the responses, guys. I'm starting to begin to narrow my search for parts down somewhat. :smile:

Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2001 8:38:30 PM

Hrm, just read a THG review.....nevermind...

December 27, 2001 3:12:26 AM

I wonder if your local supplier has something to do with your luck.

4 for 4 is pretty crappy odds.

<b><font color=blue>~scribble~</font color=blue></b> :wink: <A HREF="http://www.ud.com/home.htm" target="_new">Help cure cancer.</A>
December 27, 2001 3:34:41 AM

I've got the Shuttle AK-31 and I think it's great. The THG review is the only negative review I've seen of it, and I don't think they took much time with it. For example, they say that the FSB maxes out at 133MHz, which is absolutely false. Check out some other reviews at other sites for a more balanced perspective. Shuttle's got a new board out, too, you might consider that. It looks pretty nice.

<i>Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.</i>
December 27, 2001 9:23:48 AM

Got the 4 from frys, two from their racks, and 2 from a freshly opened shipping box.(heard about newer revisions being better and demanded a new fresh mobo).

Tried them all, all no good, some booted NONE WOULD BOOT WARM(IE> after a shutdown or restarting), and some wouldnt boot at all, or lock up during post.

AFter the 4th I said screw it, and bought a kg7-raid(the whole thing was for a pc I was building a co worker). The funny part was those frys drones boxxed up the mobos and put them back on the shelves. ::sighs::

!