Blinking cursor and black screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

killercela

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello,
I just made my first PC and after entering UEFI and choosing the CD drive as the boot disk I am led to a black screen with a blinking icon. Now I tried to boot from a USB, but this also led me to the black screen. I've read many articles, but none seem to answer the problem. Any help will be appreciated.

Specs:
Intel i5 3570k
ASUS P8Z77-V
WD 500GB
OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
Rosewell 750w Bronze Certified
Lite-on CD drive
Zalman 2 Ball CPU Cooler

Solution
check the bios rev of the mb..make sure it up to date. most time the issue is you connected the hard drive and cd-rom drive on the non intel sata ports. or you forgot to plug in the power cables to the hard drive and cd-rom. there needs to be two cables the data and power to each device. in the asus bios make sure the sata ports are set to achi mode. under boot you should see the hard drive under hard drive devices and cd-rom should show up. then go under boot and change it to boot from cd-rom.
you may with the efi bios on..a efi cd-rom and efi usb ports. dont select them. on the windows os disk check that it a windows os and not windows office cd. on another pc try using the microsoft iso to usb tool to make a bootable usb tool.
check the bios rev of the mb..make sure it up to date. most time the issue is you connected the hard drive and cd-rom drive on the non intel sata ports. or you forgot to plug in the power cables to the hard drive and cd-rom. there needs to be two cables the data and power to each device. in the asus bios make sure the sata ports are set to achi mode. under boot you should see the hard drive under hard drive devices and cd-rom should show up. then go under boot and change it to boot from cd-rom.
you may with the efi bios on..a efi cd-rom and efi usb ports. dont select them. on the windows os disk check that it a windows os and not windows office cd. on another pc try using the microsoft iso to usb tool to make a bootable usb tool.

Solution

killercela

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

Thanks guys for responding. Now I switched the SATA cables for the SSD into the intel port and moved the CD drive into the 6GB/s port as well. The board revision is 1616 x64. Im not too sure on how to update that, but I think that could possibly be a problem. I have the windows disk and also a extracted version of it on a external hardrive formated as a boot disk. I included a photo of the UEFI setup to help show whats going on.
e48Shr4

csJAIor

Status
Not open for further replies.