Traveling Developer's dilema: Duron or PentiumIII

I've about to buy a Laptop computer for developing windows software (and playing 3d games) and I can't reach a decision whether I should buy PIII-1000 or Duron 950. On one hand - P1000 has a good name and since I've been working on WinTel enviroment all the time - I'm sure it'll work.
On the other hand, Duron950 is much much cheeper and from the comparision chart it seems to leave P1000 in the dust.
On the gripping hand, I don't know whether a laptop computer can be overcloacked, and what effect the motherboard have.

Please help!
Zaph0d.
15 answers Last reply
More about traveling developer dilema duron pentiumiii
  1. get a dell!

I would go P3 1000 with a geforce2Go 32MB.

www.dell.com

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=9933" target="_new"> My Rig </A>
  2. If the PIII is the 'M' version, that is-with the tulatin core, definitely get that. It runs at 133mhz fsb, and has 512kb of L2 cache.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
  3. I concur with the other gentlemen. (See how polite this forum can be...lol)

The PIII Mobile 1.0GHz processor is much better than the mobile Duron. PIII tully core with the power fetures of the mobility design features will help you a lot. I have a PIII 700 Mobile and I can operate it playing MP3's for over two, 2, hours. Long life using only one battery. Now if you are doing long flights, Japan to US and back(or vice-verse) having two batteries should help you go a long way.

Either way both are really good platforms but the PIII Mobile beats the Duron in pure computing power when both are at full speed. I think, but am not sure, that the PIII Tully core has the same number of IPC's as the Mobile Duron core. (Someone correct me if I am wrong...please.) Either way, the PIII verses an Athlon at the same clock beats wins in most benchmarks. If the price is the concideration then the Duron might beat it in terms of Price to Performance.

Hope this helps your decision-making easier...

<b>"The events of my life are quite inconsequential.." - Dr. Evil</b> :lol:
  4. i dont know on what dark planet your on but 2hours of play time is really nothing..

the mobile duron consumes less power then the P3 which equals more bat time.
    i dont thing there is a mobile P3 with the new core, not under 1Ghz anyway..
    you should think more about the screen then the CPU when buying a laptop, be sure to buy something good, tom made some revies about laptops, check them out.

<font color=green>
    *K.I.S.S*
    *(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
    </font color=green>
  5. Definitely go with a Pentium III. Generally faster per-clock than the Duron and consumes less power. If you can find one at .13u, you're good. If you can find one with 512K cache, you're golden.

The absolute best laptops come from Dell.

The best laptop for the money is probably something from Compaq's Presario 17xx series. They currently have one with a 1GHz PIII-S chip in it (.13u, 512K cache). Uses PC133, upgradeable to 512MB RAM via standard SO-DIMMs. Sells for ~$1500US locally.

Kelledin
    [dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
    init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  6. Actually, the PIII-M 'tulatin' core cpus come in speeds of 866mhz to 1.20ghz.
    And these tulatin core cpus consumes less power than the Durons.

See a real naked pic of Britney Spears <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/stick_e_mouse" target="_new">here</A>!!!
  7. oh, thanks for correcting me.

<font color=green>
    *K.I.S.S*
    *(k)eep (I)t (S)imple (S)tupid*
    </font color=green>
  8. yeah, get a Dell, I use them frequently and am very impressed...They have kick butt screens on them, some of the highest quality lcd's I've ever seen. Make sure you get the Geforce2go, if you don't your performance will SUCK!

Aklein

Just me and my computer livin' on the dark side of the moon.
  9. The PIII-M is the best laptop CPU. It uses less power than the older mobile PIII because it's on the .13 micron Tualatin core, while the older Coppermine based unit was on the .18 micron process. This allows it to run longer on the same battery (or to run the same amount of time on a smaller, thinner, lighter battery), and produce less heat (not as much of a lap warmer).

It also performs better for several reasons, first because the Tualatin is more efficient, second because all PIII-M processors use 512k cache, third because it has a 133MHz FSB. The Coppermine mobile PIII had 256k and a 100MHz FSB.

So get the PIII if it's a PIII-M, these are top notch.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?
  10. I've seen some benchmarks that say that Desktop Duron is better than a Desktop PIII-1000 (and 1200).
    Where can I find hard evidence (e.g. Benchmarks) that it's the other way around in Portables?

Zaph0d.
  11. Actually, you migth be right...the benchmarks your seeing are probably based of the new Duron core (Morgan) which for Desktop only starts at 1000MHz, but maybe in the Mobile market its different...Myabe it stars at 900MHz or something.....anyways....personally I'd get the AMD Athlon 4 mobile in a laptop for me........faster than PIII-M in most cases, neck & Neck with it on others....(and defineently faster than the Mobile Duron) and Gaminf performance on it will be MUCH better than compared to the PIII-M chip (and nobody can deny that either)...

Just look around and compare the PIII-M 1000 (or 1200) to the Duron's and the Athlon 4's and you pick what will suit you best......

If battery life is the MAIN concern, go with a PIII-M.....if raw power is your concern, get either the AMD Athlon 4 or the PIII-M with either the ATI Radeon 8500 Mobile or the GeForce2Go video chip......make sure you have an extra battery (no matter what laptop you have) and you'll be set. =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!
  12. There are so many versions of the desktop PIII...At 1000MHz, your limmited to the Coppermine, which should be almost as fast as the Morgan...but not quite. The desktop Tualatins are available in both 256k and 512k, the 1.1GHz and 1.2GHz are 256k, while the 1.13GHz and 1.26GHz have 512k. The PIII-M is a low powered version of the 512k, and available in more speeds.

13. >"<font color=green>…yeah, get a Dell, I use them frequently and am very impressed...</font color=green>"

- from the time I used to be a Computer System Trainee, then a Technician in a computer depot.
    The depot untill now works on different kinds of large projects, including warranty service for major computer manufacturers, also contracts with Future Shop and other retailers. I had been impressed by seeing so many broken new laptops... An average technician did normally 20-25 calls daily. At a computer depot you can see clearly what you should not buy.
    What I learned from them (and continue to pickup some ideas from them periodically), from my team leader, my teachers there: all models, not only makes of laptops are unique, all the parts are costly, the labour is also high. Parts reliability and availability are different from a manufacturer to manufacturer.
    What is more important I learned when buying a laptop: you have to buy <b>by the manufacturer</b>, then by technical data and the price.
    All Dell's laptops have always had the highest rate and are highly recommended by my former co-workers (still my friends).

So, follow the link provided above by xxsk8er101xx, and make your choice from there.
  14. Another thing to account for is that laptops probably aren't going to be using DDR memory. To make some sort of comparison relevant to laptops, you have to compare with both using SDRAM--at which point the Pentium III would at least perform neck-and-neck and would consume a little over half as much power clock-for-clock.

Athlon or Duron-based laptops are generally built on the VIA KM133 chipset with integrated ProSavage video. Some are built on ALi chipsets, but they still only use SDRAM (for the sake of cheapness and SO-DIMM upgradeability).

Kelledin
    [dave@discovery ~] kill -9 1
    init: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?
  15. Good points. DDR is the biggest advantage to a Duron system, and that advantage disappears with a laptop.

Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Laptops Computer Duron