Tungsten E repair question

April 5, 2005 11:31:47 AM

Hi all,

I have two T/Es. Both are in need of work. Between the two of them I
have a complete unit, but that's not good enough, especially since I
paid $400.00 for the two not even a year ago.

I've spoken on this topic a few times in the past but now it's come to
a head. I have to do something.
If I didn't have so much money tied up in the palm os I'd jump ship and
go to wince.
It seems like, unless quality control at palm changes, we have to treat
these things as a monthly service, budgeting $15 to $25 per month so
that we have the money to replace them on a yearly basis.
Since I got into electronic pdas I've had two Psion S5s die on me, two
trg pros die, and now two Tungsten Es. While I pamper them as much as
I can I also don't abuse them. They are always in a hardshell case.
The only solid ones I've had have been Palm IIIe and IIIxe but they
don't have expansion slots.
I'm tempted to try a Sony off of ebay. I tried them when I bought the
Es and bought the Es instead because of a superior screen.
Hmmm, is there a lesson here? I chose good looks over quality design.
Shame on me.
And shame on Palm for having such lousy service and quality control.
Please come back Sony!!

Any thoughts?
Will anyone repair these units for less than the $125.00 flat fee that
palm is charging?
If I'm forced to buy a new one what do I do with the two that I have
now that work well most of the time but aren't complete? It seems that
Palm won't repair a unit that has been opened.
Can I, should I, repair either of these myself? I opened the case of
one of them to fix the intermittent speaker and now it won't hotsync.
The other has a battery that won't hold a charge for very long.

Thanks to you all.
Shawn
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 1:44:52 PM

>It seems like, unless quality control at palm changes, we have to treat
>these things as a monthly service, budgeting $15 to $25 per month so
>that we have the money to replace them on a yearly basis.
>Since I got into electronic pdas I've had two Psion S5s die on me, two
>trg pros die, and now two Tungsten Es. While I pamper them as much as
>I can I also don't abuse them. They are always in a hardshell case.
>The only solid ones I've had have been Palm IIIe and IIIxe but they
>don't have expansion slots.

after all of that why did you not get an extended warranty? it is worth the 30
or 40.00 I used my last one to get a new TE and it saved me some bucks. about
the only thing it was work getting a extended warranty on though.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
April 5, 2005 4:19:46 PM

> after all of that why did you not get an extended warranty? it is
worth the 30
> or 40.00 I used my last one to get a new TE and it saved me some
bucks. about
> the only thing it was work getting a extended warranty on though.

Boy, in hindsight, I wish I would have gotten the extended warranty.
It won't happen again.
As a general rule of thumb I understand they are usually not worth the
money in the long run.
This case would be the exception.
I guess I wrongly assumed I was buying a quality product.

Shawn
Related resources
April 5, 2005 4:27:15 PM

>By performing your own repairs, you may have >damaged that unit.
That's was
>the risk you took

Of course I understand that. But if Palm had made a quality device,
and, or charged a reasonable price for repairs I would not have felt a
need to dig into it myself.

>As for the other unit, have you tried resetting the >power manager as
has
>been suggested in this newsgroup?

Not only did I reset I did a hard reset and reinstalled all the
software. It still won't hold a charge.
April 5, 2005 7:44:11 PM

Yeah, I did say what's wrong, to a degree.
One unit won't sync and the other won't hold a charge. There are other
problems with them but these are the most glaring.
The way I understand it the Palm guarantee in the US is a lousy 90
days. I've had these since last may.

Thanks again,
Shawn
April 5, 2005 7:51:58 PM

I searched both places and I find no reference to a "power manager."
I would thing that doing a hard boot on the E would reset everything
back to original factory specs. Is this not correct?
How do I do what you are suggesting?

Thanks
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 10:57:23 PM

In article <1112711507.169609.68370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:

> Since I got into electronic pdas I've had two Psion S5s die on me, two
> trg pros die, and now two Tungsten Es. While I pamper them as much as
> I can I also don't abuse them. They are always in a hardshell case.

So it doesn't sound as though your problem is with PalmOne devices only ...

> Will anyone repair these units for less than the $125.00 flat fee that
> palm is charging?

What kind of repair do you need?

> If I'm forced to buy a new one what do I do with the two that I have
> now that work well most of the time but aren't complete? It seems that
> Palm won't repair a unit that has been opened.
> Can I, should I, repair either of these myself? I opened the case of
> one of them to fix the intermittent speaker and now it won't hotsync.
> The other has a battery that won't hold a charge for very long.

By performing your own repairs, you may have damaged that unit. That's was
the risk you took.

As for the other unit, have you tried resetting the power manager as has
been suggested in this newsgroup?
April 5, 2005 11:06:22 PM

> Yes, I found a message thread elsewhere that said a reset won't
effect the
> charging system unless it is plugged in at the time. After trying
it, my
> PDA works great again after nearly a year and a half of abusive
> charging/discharging.

Any idea if it needs to be a hard reset or just a soft reset?

Thanks,
Shawn
April 6, 2005 12:29:53 AM

Hey, thanks to all!!!

I did the in-cradle reset and BLAMO the bat meter in Mega Launcher
shows 100%!
That solves one problem on that machine.
Any ideas why the other one won't hotsync? It did it just fine until I
opened it up to lube the speaker. (OT, it seems that the intermittent
speaker problem was software related not hardware. So I might not have
had to open it up at all.)
Any ideas about how to fix the grafitti area of one that seems to have
dead spots?

Thanks again!
Shawn
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 1:53:37 AM

In article <1112711507.169609.68370@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:

> The only solid ones I've had have been Palm IIIe and IIIxe but they
> don't have expansion slots.
> I'm tempted to try a Sony off of ebay. I tried them when I bought the
> Es and bought the Es instead because of a superior screen.
> Hmmm, is there a lesson here? I chose good looks over quality design.
> Shame on me.
> And shame on Palm for having such lousy service and quality control.
> Please come back Sony!!
>
> Any thoughts?
> Will anyone repair these units for less than the $125.00 flat fee that
> palm is charging?

You don't say what the problem is. But you imply that both are still
under guarantee. So why the difficulty?

I don't know where you are; perhaps Palm offer a different guarantee
there.
But here in the UK, when my Palm E on-off switch broke after 14 months,
the shop who sold it to me (Dixon's) weren't interested as their own
guarantee lasts just the usual 12 months. PalmOne's site told me exactly
what I had to do to get it repaired under their two-year guarantee, and
sent me a post-paid courier label to use when I sent it back to them.
They acknowledged receipt by e-mail, then e-mailed again to say it might
take 7 to 10 days; the Palm E was back in three days, repaired as good
as new.
The memory was totally wiped but they'd warned me about that several
times before dispatch so I'd backed it all up thoroughly.

Excellent service.

Kind regards,
Devi
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:13:47 AM

In article <1112729235.565169.75690@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:

> >As for the other unit, have you tried resetting the >power manager as
> has
> >been suggested in this newsgroup?
>
> Not only did I reset I did a hard reset and reinstalled all the
> software. It still won't hold a charge.

No, that's not what resetting the power manager is all about. Do a search
on www.palmone.com or in this newsgroup for resetting the power manager.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 2:42:22 AM

Soft is fine.

<Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz> wrote in message
>> Yes, I found a message thread elsewhere that said a reset won't
> effect the
>> charging system unless it is plugged in at the time. After trying
> it, my
>> PDA works great again after nearly a year and a half of abusive
>> charging/discharging.
>
> Any idea if it needs to be a hard reset or just a soft reset?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:46:26 AM

In article <1112741518.678822.234080@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:

> I searched both places and I find no reference to a "power manager."
> I would thing that doing a hard boot on the E would reset everything
> back to original factory specs. Is this not correct?
> How do I do what you are suggesting?

Sorry I don't have the reference for you. But folks were saying something
about doing a hard boot while the device was plugged in. I don't remember
exactly so don't take my word for it.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 3:46:27 AM

> Sorry I don't have the reference for you. But folks were saying something
> about doing a hard boot while the device was plugged in. I don't remember
> exactly so don't take my word for it.

Yes, I found a message thread elsewhere that said a reset won't effect the
charging system unless it is plugged in at the time. After trying it, my
PDA works great again after nearly a year and a half of abusive
charging/discharging.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:06:14 AM

guy@ether.net (Guy Bannis) wrote:

>In article <1112741518.678822.234080@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
>Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:
>
>> I searched both places and I find no reference to a "power manager."
>> I would thing that doing a hard boot on the E would reset everything
>> back to original factory specs. Is this not correct?
>> How do I do what you are suggesting?
>
>Sorry I don't have the reference for you. But folks were saying something
>about doing a hard boot while the device was plugged in. I don't remember
>exactly so don't take my word for it.

From the horses mouth (so to speak):

In-Cradle Reset

Rechargeable devices only
An in-cradle reset will reset the charging circuitry in a
rechargeable device. This is helpful if your device turns off
as soon as you turn it on, or if it doesn't seem to be
charging when you connect it to a power source.
The charger can be any type of cradle or cable that charges
your device. The important bit is to make sure the power
adapter is plugged in and supplying power to your device
during the reset.
Connect your device securely to its charging cradle or
cable, and connect the cradle/cable to a power source.
Use an unfolded paper clip, or the reset tool at the tip of
your stylus.
Gently press the RESET button inside the hole on the back
panel of your device (where's the reset hole?).
All data on your device should be retained. If you do lose
data after a soft reset, you may have a more serious issue
with your hardware that requires a repair.
After a soft reset, a logo screen appears, followed shortly
by a Preferences screen asking you to set time and date.
Note for Visor Edge: it can be tricky to perform this
operation with a Visor Edge since the reset hole is below the
back of the cradle when your handheld is correctly seated. The
trick is to rotate the handheld very slightly clockwise
(assuming you are looking at the front face of your handheld)
until you can see the reset hole appear over the back of the
cradle. If your charge light is functioning (sometimes it
won't be when the recharging circuitry needs to be reset) you
can use it as a guide: don't move it so far that it is no
longer lit. Then perform the soft reset.
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 7:09:26 AM

In article <1112753182.895540.16650@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz says...
> > Yes, I found a message thread elsewhere that said a reset won't
> effect the
> > charging system unless it is plugged in at the time. After trying
> it, my
> > PDA works great again after nearly a year and a half of abusive
> > charging/discharging.
>
> Any idea if it needs to be a hard reset or just a soft reset?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

<http://www.palmone.com/cgi-bin/cso_kbURL.cgi?ID=887&gt; PalmOne Knowledge
Library article 887 Resetting your device (Soft, System/Warm, Hard, In-
Cradle, Power Down, Battery Disconnect)
You want to do the 'In-Cradle' reset.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:
>>Yes, I found a message thread elsewhere that said a reset won't effect the
>>charging system unless it is plugged in at the time. After trying it, my
>>PDA works great again after nearly a year and a half of abusive
>>charging/discharging.

> Any idea if it needs to be a hard reset or just a soft reset?

Kinda neither. This PalmOne knowledge base article calls it an
"In-Cradle Reset", which is described as a type of reset which
is distinct from both "Soft Reset" and "Hard Reset":

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Pa...(887)#incradle

Sorry the URL is super-long, but that's how PalmOne made it.
If you can't follow the above link, you could probably get
there through Google: I searched for "soft reset palm" and it
was the first search result listed.

- Logan
Anonymous
April 6, 2005 8:26:57 PM

In article <l7M4e.34382$ij5.25339@tornado.texas.rr.com>, lshaw-
usenet@austin.rr.com says...
> Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:
> >>Yes, I found a message thread elsewhere that said a reset won't effect the
> >>charging system unless it is plugged in at the time. After trying it, my
> >>PDA works great again after nearly a year and a half of abusive
> >>charging/discharging.
>
> > Any idea if it needs to be a hard reset or just a soft reset?
>
> Kinda neither. This PalmOne knowledge base article calls it an
> "In-Cradle Reset", which is described as a type of reset which
> is distinct from both "Soft Reset" and "Hard Reset":
>
> http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Pa...(887)#incradle
>
> Sorry the URL is super-long, but that's how PalmOne made it.
> If you can't follow the above link, you could probably get
> there through Google: I searched for "soft reset palm" and it
> was the first search result listed.
>
> - Logan

Yep, posted that yesterday.

--
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
April 7, 2005 10:33:10 AM

Well, so much for that.
I reset it and finally the Bat meter hit 100%.
It seemed to work fine all of the next day with the meter going down to
only about 90 odd percent by late afternoon. Then, all of the sudden,
the meter was at 10% and I couldn't do anything.
I charged it and, on the way home from work, I bought a Zire 72.
This is ridiculous!
So, now what?
Should I just put the T/Es on ebay for parts or for someone who might
know how to fix them?

Thanks,
Shawn
April 7, 2005 11:37:35 PM

Hmmm, not a bad idea.
It seems I'm going to take a huge loss on these units.
I guess I could put them together and make one good one.
That would give me a backup to the newly purchased Zire 72.

Thanks for the idea.

Shawn
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 12:53:06 AM

On 7 Apr 2005 19:37:35 -0700, Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:

>Hmmm, not a bad idea.
>It seems I'm going to take a huge loss on these units.
>I guess I could put them together and make one good one.
>That would give me a backup to the newly purchased Zire 72.

did you get the extended warranty?? (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
April 8, 2005 1:42:46 AM

On 7 Apr 2005 06:33:10 -0700, Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:

> So, now what?
> Should I just put the T/Es on ebay for parts or for someone who might
> know how to fix them?

One of your T|E's has an intermittent speaker and won't hotsync.
You won't get much for it if you sell it for parts, so why not use
it for parts for your other T|E, since its battery is probably good
and there's a good possibility that the only thing wrong with your
other T|E is its battery. Lithium batteries don't always last as
long as the manufacturers predict and as long as owners would like.
Many iPod owners have discovered this. T|E batteries that get heavy
use 5 days/week might be expected to require replacement before
they've been used one year. Different NiCad and NiMH manufacturers
claim 500 to 1000 charge cycles for their batteries. What I've
usually read for Li-Ion batteries is about 200 charge cycles.
That's only one reason why I prefer NiMH over Lithium.
Anonymous
April 8, 2005 1:42:47 AM

> One of your T|E's has an intermittent speaker
atleast this part seems to get fixed on mine with resets. the sound seems to
stop a little at a time till nothing makes sounds.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
April 8, 2005 9:59:24 AM

On 7 Apr 2005 19:37:35 -0700, Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz wrote:

> I guess I could put them together and make one good one.
> That would give me a backup to the newly purchased Zire 72.
>
> Thanks for the idea.

You're welcome. And don't forget to save what remains, in case
you ever need to replace the screen or parts of the shell, or . . .
!