Dec 22, 2001
Just recieved my new computer components today they are as follows:
CPU: Athlon XP 1800+
mobo: Soyo Dragon+
gfx: Asus GF3 ti-500 deluxe
sound: SB audigy
harddrive: seagate barricuda 60gb
case: koolance liquid cooled

I had just finished assembling all the components, and went to first bootup. On first start I recieved a trouble code, one beep followed by a 5 second long continuous beep before the computer shut itself off

I proceded to remove components until I was down to just the motherboard and processor, always getting the same code.
I finally removed the processor, and had the motherboard boot by itself. Finally a clean boot
does this mean my processor was DOA? should I request and RMA now? Thanks in advance for any help

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
your mb manual give you precisely what is the meaning of your beeps sequence

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

ahriman234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
The motherboard manual only has two trouble codes in it:
one: one long 3 short (vid card of course)
two: one long, then continuous beep, which is what I have
motherboard manual says its the RAM
But how could it be the ram if it DOESN'T even make the beep when NO components are in
it only makes the beep if I put in the CPU
Im almost 100% sure the CPU is DOA, just hoping to varify.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Ok, well obviously your inexperienced if your saying this and STILL suspecting the CPU being DOA......

Ok, the problem IS YOUR RAM........either 1) It's defective or 2) it's not totaly pushed into the dimm slot.....

Now.......Your calim about the processor.......its TOTALY false...as the motherboard will NOT post nor do ANYTHING without the processor being in there........this is why you get the beeps ONLY when the processor is in there.......now, stick it back in....put the HSF back on, and take the ram out and insert it again, and keep in mind the ram can only go in <b>ONE WAY</b> if you look at the notches on the DIMM itself ASWELL as on the Motherboard, line them up, than stick it in, and you will have to press down quite firmly...after thats done, fire up the system, and it should work fine now........

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
when no processor, no bios run & no beeps
it's normal

i think you ram has a pb

note:
when the cpu is not in the mb, nothing speak, even the hp :)
if your mb speak to you after your cpu is in place
1) your cpu is ok
2) beeps meaning ram pb => have a look to your ram in first

EasyInfo :cool:
I would like to Invest for my PC !!
ok, buy nothing.

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Thank you Crashman, AMD_Man & labdog for repeatring my words in an small obreviation....lol

-MeTaL RoCkEr

My <font color=red>Z28</font color=red> can take your <font color=blue>P4</font color=blue> off the line!

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
I did.....Crashman, AMD_Man & yourself were my intentions for that post... =)

-MeTaL RoCkEr

ahriman234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Guess its faulty memory, I made sure it was seated properly in all 3 DIMM slots. And yes I am fairly inexpirienced.
As far as my conclusion that the CPU was DOA, that was reached after speaking to someone I assumed knew more than me, obviously not =)

kusek

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2001
Believe it or not this can be common(I've seen it twice). On both occasions someone was using cheap ass memory with an Atlon processor. They were SDRAM but I suppose it could also happen with DDR too. Bottom line is don't use generic memory with AMD products. Crucial(made by Micron I think) is good from what I've heard. Corsair is a better one. I have Mushkin who I believe is also a good one although I haven't heard much about them lately.
One more thing for you to try on your system. You have 3 sticks right? Did you try using them one at time to isolate the bad one. Others here should be able to tell you what the best DDR for the price is.

ahriman234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
I believe this is micron memory, might be their economy line or something like that. I am screwed as far as being able to send this memory back to the dealer? Is this one of those caveat emptor things?
anyway, thanks for the replies everyone, has saved me a hassle and lots of stress

ahriman234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
nix on the micron thing, this is the ram I bought:
http://infotechnow.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=ISI&Product_Code=ME13&Category_Code=MEM
one part sticks out to me:
Infotech Systems, Inc. does not guarantee compatibility.

that basically means I am screwed ehh?
I go and buy all the stuff that scored the best on benchmarks, and the one thing I skimp on fails, guess it serves me right.
Also, should I buy ECC ram or save the cash? will it make a difference with my motherboard?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ahriman234 on 12/22/01 04:34 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

ahriman234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Just recieved 512 megs of micron DDR from crucial. Tried installing in all 3 slots. Same error during post. one short beep followed by a 5 second beep then the computer shuts itself off. The motherboard book says its memory, but ive now tried two different sticks, one from a recommended dealer. Any other ideas?

pike

Splendid
Nov 10, 2001
Can't find that beep code of yours: 1 short - 1 long.
Must be new.
Tried to stay focused on this thread, maybe bios mem settings but don't know witch you shoud try. Perhaps default or failsafe. But save your bios settings to text file if you can first or print them out.

Danny

Duby the snake now has a brand new skin :lol:

ahriman234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
To clarify, the one short beep is the normal post beep. The trouble code itself is one long beep, sort of broken, but no clear breaks. Hard to explain.

ahriman234

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
from the soyo site:
When I turn on my system, I get some kind of "Siren" from the PC speaker and I do not get any Video from my monitor.
Please make sure the 66/100MHz FSB is set correctly on the m/b. Next, clear the CMOS. If it still does not work, put the RAM on different DIMM socket.

I tried clearing the CMOS to no avail