New instal...Windows 7 Ultimate vs. Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade?

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
I'm looking to do a clean install on a system that I'm building....so its never had an operating system on it before.

I want to instal the 64 bit version Windows 7 Ultimate, for a gaming computer I'm building.

I understand the ULTIMTE version makes for good compatibility issues, to play older PC games... such as those designed for Windows 98 or XP.

My question is... should I only buy the standard version of Windows 7 Ultimate or can I install Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade?

I'm looking at a well known and popular auction site. Several sellers are offering the UPGRADE version of the Windows 7 Ultimate operating system (with a legal and unused product key).

Some sellers are stating that you can use the UPGRADE version (just lie the regular Ultimate version), to do a complete install on a system that never had an operating system installed before. I though the upgrade was only if you had a pror version of windows already installed and you wanted to "upgrade" to Windows 7 Ultimate only?

I just want to be sure and not buy the wrong version of Windows 7 Ultimate OP and get duped with something I can't use.

Here are the version of the OS http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_Ultimate

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Please let me better clarify...I'm not trying to just buy a key online and hope for the best or a bootleg copy.

These are original boxed Microsoft sets from Microsoft. Someone bough the OS but didn't install it. I don't even waste my time looking at anything that looks priced too good to be true or shady.

The OS kits I am looking at all include the original product key that was never used and never registered. They generally sell for about $80 up to $110 for the ULTIMATE edition.

Hi :)

I guarantee for that price they ARE fakes...no matter what they say....

All the best Brett :)

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
$80 - $110 for Windows 7 ULTIMATE? Woah, this is not black friday yet, is it? Not even the UPGRADE of the Ultimate cost that cheap. You really need to think over 9000 times before buying it on ebay. Once you made the deal, it may be too late.

4745454b

Titan
You don't need ultimate. There is nothing in ultimate that would make it work better with older programs. Do you even know what ultimate will get you over the other versions?

Just hop on amazon or newegg and buy a copy of win7 home premium. The OEM copy will do and should be cheap.

Hazle

Distinguished
i'd rather pay full price from a legit store than risk wasting away $80-110 on eBAY for what may possibly be a piece of crud that'll just make me a laughing stock for the seller.

just buy an OEM of Home Premium from somewhere more trustworthy and call it a day.

The Stealthinator

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2012
You state that you did not have an OS on the machine you were building. So you need to purchase a proper install disk. Not an upgrade version. This can also come in handy in times where you may need to reformat your disk and reinstall Windows. Upgrade disk won't be helpful then.

I suggest buying whatever OS you are buying from Microsoft and no where else.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013
Well...this is part of why I'm asking...before I decided to do anything.

Naturally... if someone is selling their legitimate copy of Ultimate that they don't want, for one reason or another...for about $100 or so.... we would all agree it is surely a good deal.

It just makes me wonder how there could be so many sellers, all with a few years as good established sellers and all with high feed-backs ....and we have to presume all of them are fakes and bootlegs.

I'm not looking at those sellers with low feedback scores or people who became seller a week ago. These are sellers that are 4 or more years...new sellers I didn't even consider.

But the reason I'm thinking Windows 7 Ultimate, is that I read the 64 bit Ultimate system works quite well with older PC games, that came out with Windows 98, XP etc.

If I can use a different version of Windows 7 64 bit, then I'm OK with that too....especially if its cheaper to do so.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I am not sure if you are referring to windows XP mode, but windows 7 professional is able to do that too. The only main difference between window 7 professional and ultimate is that ultimate is able to change languages. And some other functions that we don't even care about.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

Yes...I do. Here is a copy of the link I posted above in my initial question.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_7_Ultimate

If you click on it and then scroll down, it has a nice chart comparing all the versions and their features.

That being said I have never gone beyond Windows Xp, so I have no experience what so ever with teh Windows 7 OS. I only read that the Ultimate version has advantages to run older games quite well. I have no personal experience with that so only relying on what I have read so far.

You need to legally own a valid qualifying previous version of windows to use an upgrade. It is possible to do a clean install with an upgrade version.

Pro has xp mode too so ultimate has no benefit for xp programs over it. But if you have a xp key to use, there are free virtual os software that I have had better luck with.

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

I would recommend that also, but he wants to play older games. It will be a terrible gaming experience playing on a virtual OS.

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I had asked the seller about his copy of Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade he is selling and he replied

"I have used this same type before for a fresh install. It says upgrade on the disc but it let me clean install. I installed first skipped entering product key then restarted the machine and activated the key. Its listed as upgrade merely because that's what the physical disc says. So that's what has to be said and guaranteed. But I have used several for clean installs. But as with any software its sold as is due to the nature of product keys etc."

Anyway...that's what he told me...making me wonder if the UPRGADE version will actually do a clean install as he suggested. .

OldtimeGamer

Honorable
Feb 3, 2013

I thought it was just me. One minute it was there then it was gone...weird huh? I'll check it out

I have done a clean install from an upgrade myself. But it is against the user agreement (it's illegal) to use an upgrade without owning an os that is eligible for an upgrade. This is what I said before, but in different words so hopefully you will understand this time.

Xp mode is a virtual os.

4745454b

Titan
So looking at that wiki page which of those check boxes that only ultimate has will allow you to play older games better? The language pack? They all have the same insides. And XP mode doesn't support 3D acceleration, so no gaming there.

You have to be able to "clean install" with win7 upgrade media as XP is supported as an upgrade option, but you can't "in place" upgrade from XP to win7. When I upgraded from XP to win7 I had to wipe my drive and install from scratch. Even though I had the upgrade disk for win7 As k1114 said you need to own previous version.

I can play Diablo 2 on my 64bit copy of win7. Oldest game I've tried playing.

On my w7 64bit, I played starcraft (2 years older than diablo 2; 1998 and 2000 respectively), age of mythology (2002), neverwinter nights (02), warhammer 40k dawn of war + expansions (04-06) just to name a few old titles. If you count dosbox, the oldest game I've played on w7 is The Secret of Monkey Island (1990). Although these aren't installed anymore since I reformatted. What games do you plan on playing? Chances are you don't even need xp mode. I should have brought this up before but I am just realizing how old these games are.